TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has snuck up on any bears while trailing. With the type of riding I think the TW is best suited for, poking along on old roads or trails in the hills, frequently overgrown with young Alders and with very limited visibility, I always am a bit Leary about stumbling onto a bear with Cubs, especially when alone. I have seen a few on the roads, but never run into one out on the trails.

·
Registered
858 Posts
black bears normally just ignore you and want to be left alone. Lots of them live right in anchorage and get along just fine with people even when they have cubs. As long as youre not leaving the lower 48 you have no worries. Just carry a can of pepper spray if youre concerned. Theres never a good reason to shoot a bear, and I can tell you that pepper spray will disable any threat you will come across much better than a bullet.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have encountered many a black bear motor biking and mountain biking and never had an issue. Most of the time they take off, a few times they have been curious and I have just revved the bike or honked the horn and they then flee. When I have come across cubs, I turn around and find a new trail to explore.
One time I was on a switchback and startled a bear and as I came around the lower side he burst onto the road 5' in front of me making a bee line down the mountain.

Reactions: SanDue and mudbug

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have had bear tracks over my bike tracks coming back from a ride. Mother and Cubs based on the prints. In MI they are pretty anti-social. Cougar are the bigger worry, it is said if you see one it wasn't hunting you!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Never a bear up close, but saw one about 200 yds away, but not on a TW. I was mountain biking. Back when I was 12 or 13, I did hit a deer on a fast trail. Twisted my forks in the triple trees, and bent my bars, and clutch lever. I guess I was going 35 to 40 mph.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Last Summer riding OBDR Route 5 east of Seneca, I stopped along the trail (was on my KLX) to wait for a friend following me. Then I noticed what I first thought was a burned-out stump along the side of road up ahead. Shortly later the stump moseyed back into the forest. I figured at that point it was a black bear. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Never a bear up close, but saw one about 200 yds away, but not on a TW. I was mountain biking. Back when I was 12 or 13, I did hit a deer on a fast trail. Twisted my forks in the triple trees, and bent my bars, and clutch lever. I guess I was going 35 to 40 mph.
You mean like this!

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
281 Posts
That was a local incident about 4 yrs back and having watched this clip dozens of times, still puzzles me to this day.

Hartebees are generally shy and will move off well before you get that close, but it's possible that these guys have become so accustomed to a human presence or there were young ones close by somewhere (both rams and ewes are horned, so difficult to be certain but I would be inclined to say it's a ewe). The puzzling part is that even at speed, that buck could have diverted with ease even in the last few paces but it held it's course and actually lunges into the rider - to my mind it was a purposeful attack.

The big question is why. Yes, it is after all a wild animal, but it's so uncharacteristic.

Reactions: SanDue and mudbug

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Last weekend we had two young moose on the trail but they took off as soon as they saw us. Ten minutes later a large grey wolf crossed the trail about 200 feet in front of us. That stopped us in our tracks.... we waited a few minutes to see if there were more then I made lots of noise with my Stebel air horn as we continued up the trail. I have never heard of a wolf attacking a person in my area but it sure makes me nervous to see one in the bush.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Last weekend we had two young moose on the trail but they took off as soon as they saw us. Ten minutes later a large grey wolf crossed the trail about 200 feet in front of us. That stopped us in our tracks.... we waited a few minutes to see if there were more then I made lots of noise with my Stebel air horn as we continued up the trail. I have never heard of a wolf attacking a person in my area but it sure makes me nervous to see one in the bush.
**DERAIL** How/where did you mount your Stebel on your TW? I need to add one to mine...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Came across deer often, but never hit any. As for bears, I've never even seen one while riding. My guess is they stay clear of you for the most part. Hiking and hunting in those same areas as I have ridden, I've come across bears several times. Most of the time they moved away from us. Once had one come right up to our tent in a campground at Twin Lakes, CA outside of Bridgeport. We were shaking in our sleeping bags, but it never tried to get in. The scariest times were when hunting and you hear something above in the trees. Looking up you find out you have scared a cub up a tree, but you haven't seen mama anywhere. Does wonders for your heart rate... That happened twice to me. We immediately backtracked the same way we came hoping that mama was further forward or at least to either side of us since we hadn't seen her yet.

Can't be sure what goes on in a bears mind, but I believe motorcycle engines aren't something they are interested in. Just a guess through.

Reactions: Fred

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Many times. Sometimes catch them by surprise. Had one catch me by surprise, literally. He got a headache, I got a black and blue foot..
One many years ago I surprised a full grown cougar on the trail. No, not that kind, the feline animal kind.

·
Registered
369 Posts
No bears, but I came across a fox trying to eat my favorite ckn in the back yard this afternoon. We've lost 11 to date. I bought the hubby and kids ducks for valentines day. foxes got them too. we've set traps. we've baited them. we are dealing with an infestation. they always attack in the middle of the day in the yard. I heard the attack happen right outside my window this afternoon, and went flying outside to see Daisy in it's mouth. I yelled loud and deep enough that I sounded 10 ft tall and bulletproof. Same thing happened a month ago and my daughter caught it in action. Granted, she sounded kinda dinky, but it still worked. Peta Polly bought the property across the valley. she called all the neighbors to make sure they wouldn't shoot them, cause they had babies under her shop. (explicit profanity) my father in law promised he wouldn't until they got in his cross hairs. lol. I've been dealing with this for 3 yrs. My ckns aren't just ckns. they're my teensy bugs. they come running as soon as I call them. they hop up in my lap and beg for treats. I have talked to every redneck I know, and tried every suggestion I've been given. so far, I've trapped 3 coons and 4 possums. grrr.
IMG_20140412_162240-1.jpg IMG_20150115_101537 (2).jpg
IMG_20150116_130955.jpg IMG_20150120_093331.jpg
IMG_20140427_174848.jpg

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Mudbug you need to get yourself a good farm dog - border collie cross.
As a teenager we had an orchard and had chickens, cats, guernsey cow and a border collie cross.
The dog thought every thing on the property was his.
The cats taught their kittens to run to the dog when there was trouble.
Nothing like seeing a dog with his hackles up and a dozen kittens under him.
The chickens ran free in the orchard and we never had issues with wild life coming after them.

Reactions: mudbug

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mudbug you need to get yourself a good farm dog - border collie cross.
As a teenager we had an orchard and had chickens, cats, guernsey cow and a border collie cross.
The dog thought every thing on the property was his.
The cats taught their kittens to run to the dog when there was trouble.
Nothing like seeing a dog with his hackles up and a dozen kittens under him.
The chickens ran free in the orchard and we never had issues with wild life coming after them.
oh the irony. just gave away this little critter last wk. hubs brought her home for me about 2 months ago. boy she was sweet, and the smartest dog I had ever seen. but she could not handle being around people. she would vibrate and pee all over herself if u even looked like u were gonna touch her. omg she was high strung. poor thing was just too much dog for me. and she loved the ckns, but sent them scattering everytime she ran up to greet them. *smh :(
IMG_20150417_144107.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts