TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dead_horse.jpg

Hey guys... hey, hey guys... let's talk about tires again.

So- the tires I currently have on are the stock ones, including the deathwing, and after about 10,000 miles they've started doing a pretty decent impression of racing slicks. I know most of you guys don't appreciate the stock front, but it's really not bad if you know how to use it. There's just a few simple things you have to remember: A. Don't brake while turning, B. Don't brake while going in a straight line, C. Don't brake while going downhill, and D. Don't turn the bars without consulting the tire first- and then just to be safe don't turn the bars anyway. I've followed these simple rules and I've only crashed about forty twelve times.

But back to the topic at hand- new ones. I want to get two separate sets so my question is Who has information on the longevity of the street tires that fit this bike? I know most of you don't have street tires, and a lot ride it little enough where dryrot becomes an issue before wear limits, but I figure someone has to have ridden on some for a while. I really don't want tires that would need to be replace in 5000 miles or less.

·
Super Moderator
4,846 Posts
The TW225 comes with 203/204 as stock

The rear is showing wear at 6k – but should go to 8k – I think the PO was running it at low pressure

The front is better than the rear – should go to 10k, maybe more

But then I’m anal about replacing tires before they really need it

So – the way you ride, expect 10k rear / 12k front - (at least) ………..

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So – the way you ride, expect 10k rear / 12k front - (at least) ………..
If by the way you ride you mean how cheap I am then yes you are probably right. I would normally wait to replace tires until one goes pop, but that seems a little less than wise on a vehicle that only has two.

It's interesting thinking about the differing perspectives. If you told me X-brand tires for my truck would only last 10 thousand miles I'd walk right out of the room, but motorcycle tires that will last 10 thousand miles? Yes, that'll do nicely.

So... Looks like the 203/204s it is.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If by the way you ride you mean how cheap I am then yes you are probably right. I would normally wait to replace tires until one goes pop, but that seems a little less than wise on a vehicle that only has two.

It's interesting thinking about the differing perspectives. If you told me X-brand tires for my truck would only last 10 thousand miles I'd walk right out of the room, but motorcycle tires that will last 10 thousand miles? Yes, that'll do nicely.

So... Looks like the 203/204s it is.
Might want to confirm if he is referencing miles or kilometers...

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Hmm... interesting. He probably meant neither and was referring to some weird British measurement that no one else knows what it means.
Sounds even better if you say 80,000 furlongs rather than 10,000 miles!

Tom

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I probably put close to 20,000 kms on a set of 203/204s and took them off to put knobbies on but still have not thrown them out. I really like them and even used them off-road till now. They make the bike super smooth, quiet and are awesome on the twisties.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I ordered Shinko SR428 front and rear $65. and $85. special right now from Bike Bandit. These are comparable to the Tw203 and TW204. On the street the Tw203 and 204 are great. I am not sure how many miles are on them but you can guess. I had two sets of knobbies at 3000 miles each and because of my mileage of 44000 miles would have to guess I am on my 2nd set of 203 and 204s. I have one Shinko on my other bike with around 15000 miles on it. I will see how long these SR428 hold up on the tdub.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I don't even remember when I ordered the tires, Friday or Saturday but the tires were here when I got home. My current mileage is 44209. I'll see how these last. Does anyone have tube recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
One of these days I’ll find a too good to pass up deal on a second set of rims. I wouldn’t mind being able to swap to the 203/204s for road only days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts