TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
‘04 TW200, Jets+Shims, DGV2, S-moto fender, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS DOT LED BLK, Moose Rack
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, whaddya know... Anyone else had this happen before?

So... was excited to throw my new DGV2 on the bike & started to remove the OE exhaust. I loosened the clamp joining the header to the muffler, removed the muffler mounts & began to gently twist the muffler back and forth to loosen the female gasket from the male header pipe.

Easy peasy, right?

Nah... not so fast mister - no painless blissful enjoyment of your new farkle, my bike seemed to mutter...

There was resistance. The two parts were not separating - much. Rotating, not really separating.

(I'd had the muffler off the bike for paint 5+ years ago & didn't remember it fighting me like this...)

Skip to the end - eventually, I got the two pipes separated, but the Exhaust Gasket (P# 11, from the diagram below), was fused both to the header pipe & the bronze (?) chainmail mesh, lining the throat of the muffler, just aft of the joint.

Like trying to break up 2 drunks in a bar-fight, damage WAS done before it was all over.

Pics:

Planning on keeping the DGV2, so no turning back - but disappointed my OE pipe may have been buggered during the separation stage. I will try to clean it up & save it, but any advice on reconditioning what you see in the photos welcome.

Not sure there's even a question here - just a cautionary tale:

Be careful, if you're trying to separate an old pipe!

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Sounds like a good spot for a liberal dose of Aluminum anti-seize. I think I'll add that to my list before mine sticks all to hell.

·
Registered
‘04 TW200, Jets+Shims, DGV2, S-moto fender, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS DOT LED BLK, Moose Rack
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know how well anti seize would hold up directly applied to exhaust joints.
I’m really not sure what would have prevented this, or if anti-seize would stand up to the heat over time.

I think the gasket disintegrated & fused with age, as much as anything else. (2004 TW - 2,200mi).

If I’d ever known this could be an issue, I might have replaced it earlier. When exactly? Who knows. I bet riding style (how hot you run it), age, climate, all play some role in how fast these things deteriorate.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That sure looks like a pot scrubber and JB Weld. Are you sure someone didn't do some customizing prior to your purchase?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
That sure looks like a pot scrubber and JB Weld. Are you sure someone didn't do some customizing prior to your purchase?
Now that you mention it, looks nothing like mine. Mine is a solid material, not pot scrubber looking stuff.
Should look like these photos;

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No. The pics of what SkiPro posted are what it looked like when I had the pipe off for paint several years ago. The bronze colored chainmail looking material seems to run some depth into the muffler from the joint & seems to be holding firmly onto the inside of the can.

The gasket held on tenaciously to the chain mesh & the header, causing the mesh to pull out of the muffler, but remain firmly attached, deep inside the muffler, as in the the pics.

I’m 100% sure it’s not a previous owner repair.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Found this one after I started my thread, same topic, here. Sorry for the redundancy,

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That's what I was thinking, SOS pad and some type of adhesive. It looks like someone may have tried to quieten it more. I think it is only supposed to have a small slip joint gasket there. What happened there shouldn't be possible.
Good to know that crazy stuff can get stuck to and pulled out. Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I was thinking, SOS pad and some type of adhesive. It looks like someone may have tried to quieten it more. I think it is only supposed to have a small slip joint gasket there. What happened there shouldn't be possible.
Good to know that crazy stuff can get stuck to and pulled out. Thanks for letting us know.
Not JB Weld. Not Brillo pad.

This could just as easily happen to any stock TW (& apparently has), given enough time (17 years-ish) & exposure to just the right atmospheric conditions and number of exhaust heat cycles.

Hopefully some context here will help close this cold case...

I bought my TW some 7-ish years ago, with 700 bona fide miles on it, from the original owner - an executive twin-engine private jet pilot, with tens of thousands of flight hours, following up a military combat flight career, and just way too much money, too many toys, and not nearly enough time to enjoy them all. He was clearing his barn.

When I went to visit my soon to be pride & joy, I saw this man's stable. A bevy of bikes, many flavors, including a custom $60k V-Twin build, some stunning 4-wheel stuff, and a couple very rare Ducati's in the mix. Dream garage.

It was damned impressive, and in every measure & detail, all kept like one would expect a highly qualified career aviator keeps his toys - including my new-to-me beloved TW200. Ten years young, 700 miles, spotless...

Change the tank & plastics & throw it on the dealer showroom floor & you could have sold it as new. Not exaggerating.

That type of owner does not do JB Weld/Brillo pad repairs on a spotless bike with 700 miles.

I've had custody since then & can guarantee, neither have I.
There are few people I feel more confident buying used equipment from than a highly qualified, experienced pilot.
They tend to not screw around much with mediocrity, because it helps keep them in the sky!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
As I recall, when I had to repair the muffler on my '01, I encountered this peculiar little joint/gasket thingie...and when I fought to separate the pipe from the can, this joint-gasket pulled apart and resembled some kind of brillo'y mess-of-mesh, held together by some kind of malleable goo.
I think this is how they're made....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haven't been on here in a while.... Everything you see in that picture is nothing more than the gasket itself. The gasket is a screen encased in graphite. The screen is what holds the graphite in place. Sometimes they just cook onto the inside of the muffler opening and stick a bit. Just pull it the rest of the way out and clean the bore of the muffler and it's good to go if you want to use it again or sell it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't been on here in a while.... Everything you see in that picture is nothing more than the gasket itself. The gasket is a screen encased in graphite. The screen is what holds the graphite in place. Sometimes they just cook onto the inside of the muffler opening and stick a bit. Just pull it the rest of the way out and clean the bore of the muffler and it's good to go if you want to use it again or sell it.
Hey, thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know. I looked at that mess & said there ain't no way I'm gettin' that toothpaste back in the tube, if that's what needs to happen! Will do.

Reactions: MountainMan75

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it happens at the factory when first built if not careful about keeping the muffler perfectly straight to the header while they slide it over this gasket. It mushes the gasket around the end of the header pipe, which also probably restricts exhaust a little until the graphite gets blown off the screen and then they get burnt to one another. I thought the same thing on the first one I pulled off. When I put it back together, I expand the opening on the muffler a bit more to avoid it. What made me look into mine was some of that graphite ended up on the spark arrestor in the muffler and had me concerned as to what it was (I initially thought it was oil/carbon, so I was really stoked to learn this was all it was).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks like you need to service your muffler bearings a little more frequently;)
Good luck with getting the crap out of your muffler. How are you liking the new one? Any performance gains?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like you need to service your muffler bearings a little more frequently;)
Good luck with getting the crap out of your muffler. How are you liking the new one? Any performance gains?
Yeah, woulda swapped that exhaust gasket out if I knew it was going to be such a beast to remove, years later.

Gotta finish prep/paint engine head & a couple other things b4 I get the pipe on & test. Will post up after I do.

Not expecting much on performance increase, based on reports, but hoping it will balance the carb tuning I’ve done, my mix is very slightly rich, now, but I like the way the bike runs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts