TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DG slip on and while out riding ruff terrain the back bolt that holds the muffler on came off and all the movement cause the middle brace to break across the weld to the pipe. Thankfully it stayed connected to the motor and I got another bolt in the rear. Am I ok to just drive it connected at the motor and the rear? The brace is so thin to weld back. Any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I'd try to get it fixed again if I were you. ;)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
mine did the same thing. turned out the center bracket was off about 1/16" and put pressure on the muffler bracket, breaking it. i had the muffler bracket welded back on and spaced the center bracket properly and then never had any problems. i wouldn't leave it, i would get it fixed, you don't want to put any stress on the header studs

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has that 1/16 gap too. Did you just weld it normally or did it have to be done special?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it stainless or aluminum?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Now to find someone in Nicaragua who can weld stainless.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Weld it with Ni rod, a slightly lower tempered normally used for cast iron. I did this on a BMW that had a stainless pipe and it worked.
Ni rod does not rust. It takes practice to use well. Find a similar thickness stainless piece to practice on until you get the right heat setting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts