TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while doing some quick online searching I found only the DG and FMF exhaust for the TW. Does anyone run anything other than those two.

Thanks

PS, just looking for a slip on muffler. Not looking to custom fab something.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
i was thinking about putting an exhaust on mine as well. while i doubt it would make it much faster, i was just thinking it could just make it a bit louder. my other bike sounds quite good, and has many many decibels falling out of the back of it, but the tw sounds so sad and pathetic next to it. so i figure if it can't sound good, it can at least be loud.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Bill, my fellow Spokanite, leave it alone! There is precious little to be gained on our 200cc motorcycles with an exhaust modification. You may have to readjust your carb, it may be louder than you really want, and it may even be painful on your ears. Any gains are not worth the cost in my opinion. Don't say I didn't tell you....

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey Bill. Don't mind being ignored. We have a lot of fuddy duddys on here. I wish I had a switch on my muffler so when a noisy Harley pulls up along side I could switch on the loudest noisiest muffler in the world.
Haha..........you could have a switch that completely removes the exhaust system on a TW and it wont be as loud as my sporty :)

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
As seen in my avatar I fabbed up an end cap out of copper fitting and replaced the OEM end cap. I have a removable spark arrester. I've offered it to the guys at TWBrian's Wrench & Ride to try but didn't have any takers. I really enjoy the sound but haven't had these on the bikes in a couple years.

One thing I did learn is that sweated copper fitting just melt away on a portable generator exhaust. The TW's exhaust at the rear is much cooler than the generator's exhaust at the head.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Just recently, someone had a Supertrap on their TW. I think they thought it was too loud. My 87 TW has rusted through near the rear of the muffler, and is quite a bit louder than my 99TW. You could check with Supertrap, or somehow check to see what the BRAT Style TW's in Japan are using.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Maybe you could add one of these for added effect....

That's too funny... mount it on your rear rack so that everyone can see it, put something along the sides of the real engine so no one can see it and head down the road. You would be sure to get a few looks!! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run a DG pipe. It's sweet. I've described it as being a little too "look at me-ish" at the higher revs but it has a nice snarl at lower rpms. A combination of that and a Procycle jet kit and my bike FEELS a little quicker. Keyword being feels, there's a good chance that's just a placebo affect however.

Here's a link to a video on my Youtube channel if you're wondering how it sounds.

I completely understand some people wanting to leave it alone because this bike is what it is and isn't what isn't. No pipe will ever make this thing a savage but hey, it's fun to sound like one...

·
Registered
213 Posts
^ LOL, somehow I logged into an account I had totally forgot about on accident and never used. Three cheers for always having similar screen names and passwords!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
gotta get a dg, love the sound ( mid life crisis....no been like this forever) at least the bear on the trail wouldn't be surprised

·
Registered
385 Posts
you can use a super trapp system like these, a pipe that follows the original shape, or you can get it with a low style as per the hollow mod japanese custom bikes on webike.com.

185429.jpeg skrym33-img600x448-1435374264mhjopb24054.jpg

with the supertrapp mufflers you can easily adjust the level of noise by unscrewing the end cap and adding or removing the amount of discs , also you can have a closed or open cap on the end which adjusts the back pressure, you can get the info from supertrapp website.

if you check out the webike site you can find the pipe or maybe use just the pipe from a DG system and then source a slip on muffler of any brand as long as the bore sizes are the same, but even if they are not the same you can find reducers/spacers on ebay.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a DG on my TW (It came with the bike), I found it to be a bit too loud for my liking originally. So I picked up the quite core for it from procycle and am pretty happy. It's still loud and aggressive sounding but not obnoxious. I never rode the bike with factory exhaust so can't comment weather or not there's any gains but I would venture to say there likely aren't any noticeable gains or loses. This bike is SLOW and it will always be slow and that's just fine I have bigger bikes for that the TW is my perfect little commuter/trail explorer.

If you want a louder exhaust the DG is not a bad deal specially with the quite core. It sounds good and looks good. But if your looking for performance gains your probly better to save your money towards a bigger bike.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Haha..........you could have a switch that completely removes the exhaust system on a TW and it wont be as loud as my sporty :)
my thoughts exactly. MAYBE if you took the exhaust off altogether, and then shoved a grenade in the intake, it might be louder than my buell, but only maybe [prolly not, though].

as to being painful to the ears, i can't imagine a 200 cc engine can be louder or more painful at it's loudest moment than the tank engines i used to work on [which did technically give me documented hearing loss], so i would not consider that an issue, i just want it louder.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts