TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen exhaust pipes wrapped with some kind of heavy-duty heat resistant fabric on a lot of street bikes. I don't care about the look one way or another, but wondered:
  • Is there some kind of mechanical advantage to be gained by doing this?
  • Does it provide any boost to the engine?
  • Can it adversely affect the engine by holding in heat (not letting the heat escape from the pipe on the way to the muffler)?
:confused:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm of the fraternity that believes it to be of no advantage other than what it was intended for, and that is as a heat shield ..... and then only where it's necessary, like when header pipes pass close to other components that could suffer from the heat given off. I haven't read the info on the link provided by Scotti, but yes, there will obviously be heat retention that may have some effect on the lifespan of the exhaust system, but I don't think it would be a very significant difference.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that link! If you keep watching the string of videos, some guy unwraps pipes he's had covered for a year and a half. Found some rust under the wraps. I believe that's why the guy in the original video painted his pipe first - to prevent that type of corrosion. I really have no reason to wrap the pipe. It was just something I'd seen on some of the 'hollow' mods and was trying to understand why it was done. :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yep and if the bike is parked wet and cold it probably takes days to dry. As stated above it could be useful as a heat shield in some situation but I think its more often used as a fashion statement or to hide rusty chrome pipes.

·
Registered
807 Posts
There is a small performance gain (forget the science behind it) but its almost not measurable. It does work for heat protection but not as good as a real heat shield. I use it on my sporty because a real heat shield would look stupid. The bike is almost unrideable without something, them pipes get HOT. Blow up my sig pic to see how close my leg is to the pipes. Rust is only a problem if it often gets wet and you put it away wet. If mine gets wet I let it run for awhile to burn it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts