TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I wanted to take an overnight trip to Mercy Hot Springs and we thought we should do a little back road exploration with the TW.
Mercy Hot Springs Ca.
[IMG
We rented cabin 6. The TW felt right at home with the cabins color scheme

We took the TW out for a 20 mile drive through the Panoche Hills, which were nice and green thanks to recent rains.

We will be back to explore the dirt roads next month.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
beautiful area, see any burrowing owls?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have a rock hound buddy who sent me a bunch of good lapidary material from Panoche Hills, so keep your saddlebags available in case an agate jumps out in front of you on your rides. Tom

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a bar called the Panoche Inn. We stopped there and had a beer. The owner is Larry, such a friendly person. He had a nice fossil collection donated by a friend. It's mostly sea shells, clams,etc. I didn't realize that there are even prehistoric sea creatures in the hills there! There are lots of birds and owls as well. It's a remote area with very low traffic. Next time I go I want to explore the Panoche Hills Preservation Area. It has a badlands canyon area that I've got to see. By the way my wife and I rode two up and the TW had to pull a little pass. It did great, plenty of power. Impressive! When we arrived at the Bar the owner Larry who is also a motorcycle rider asked us what we rode there? He couldn't believe we were on a 200 cc motorcycle!

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Thanks for mentioning that. We will be going back in April. Its virtually a desert after Spring.
It will most likely be a couple of weeks and it will all be brown (golden?) considering the amount of rain we haven't had.

Anyway, you are not that far from Clear Creek Road -- about 30 to 35 miles. It is an interesting area if you are wandering aimlessly and need a destination.

Driving directions to Clear Creek Rd
Via Panoche Rd

Mercey Hot Springs
62964 Little Panoche Rd
Firebaugh, CA 93622

1. Head south on Co Hwy J1/Little Panoche RdContinue to follow Co Hwy J1
7.7 mi
2. Turn left onto Panoche Rd
3.0 mi
3. Continue onto New Idria Rd
21.3 mi
4. Continue onto Clear Creek RdDestination will be on the right
0.1 mi

Clear Creek Rd -- continue on and explore.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
here's spring in that area march of 2003, eleven years ago.... it was a wet winter!

p valley i.jpg p valley ii.jpg
p valley iii.jpg p valley iiii.jpg

the gullies show that that area can get some real rain... just not this winter. :(

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
there are sections that are really filled with flowers, and then other areas that are much drier. all these are the same day trip as the last four,
just a few miles difference east to west.

p valley v.jpg p valley vii.jpg p valley viii.jpg p valley vi.jpg

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow, that's beautiful. That's what my wife wants to see, wildflowers. Both times we have went to the area this year it has rained a day before. Last month we came and there were mud puddles all over. I understand it could rain a little tonight. Let's hope there's more coming.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will try to get to Clear Creek Elime, thanks for the intel. Does any one know where to look for fossils?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Originally Posted by Joemama
There should be a few fossils at the second wrench and ride at TW Brian's garage !!!

Hey Joemama,

I resemble that remark :).

(There will be one less fossil, since you can't make. You were born in the Pleistocene era, right? ;))

Looking forward to our next ride together,

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts