TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any known sources of an extended pilot screw for a pre-2001 TW? I've bought one of these gems for my TTR125's, but have been unsuccessful finding one for my TW. I'd love to have one though! Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd like to have me one as well....

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
If that is the vertical screw on the bottom forward of the bowl and near impossible to get to, I feel your pain.

I bet a guy good at brazing could fab one up pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Any known sources of an extended pilot screw for a pre-2001 TW? I've bought one of these gems for my TTR125's, but have been unsuccessful finding one for my TW. I'd love to have one though! Thanks!
Everyone who has tried to tune a TW would like one. Lots of burned fingers.

As far as I know, there is not a ready made extended pilot screw.

Maybe ProCycle can come up with one.

Jb

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I have a ratcheting screw driver that is at a 90 degree angle and takes the standard driver bits. Just had to fashion a tiny straight bit and once I found the slot of the pilot screw, turn the handle. No more crispy fingers!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I have a ratcheting screw driver that is at a 90 degree angle and takes the standard driver bits. Just had to fashion a tiny straight bit and once I found the slot of the pilot screw, turn the handle. No more crispy fingers!
i need to do this...have to stop by sears to see if i can find a driver like this...just have to measure what kind of clearance i need to get in there

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
i need to do this...have to stop by sears to see if i can find a driver like this...just have to measure what kind of clearance i need to get in there
If this helps, the tool I have, ratcheting 90 degree screw driver, is made by Mac tools and works great for the pilot jet adjustments.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
If this helps, the tool I have, ratcheting 90 degree screw driver, is made by Mac tools and works great for the pilot jet adjustments.

GaryL
thanks!!...what did you mean by fashion a tiny straight bit?...are the regular driver bits too big for the screw?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Brownell's has a very good selection of screwdriver bits. If you could supply a measurement I can check my kit and see if they have one and supply a part #.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
thanks!!...what did you mean by fashion a tiny straight bit?...are the regular driver bits too big for the screw?
good question! I had the regular short, small straight slot bits that were too short. I also had the longer small ones that were a bit too long so I cut about a half inch off the end and it works fine.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Brownell would be a very high quality bit designed for gun repairs but not necessary for the pilot screw. These driver bits come in a few different lengths at the local HD, Lowes or Ace. The short ones are 1 inch and the next length is 2 inches long. Upon definitely need the small size straight bit but it works best in my ratchet driver if the bit is cut to 1 1/2 inches long. Makes it easier to get in the pilot hole.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
good to know...thanks again!!!
It was pretty easy with a cut off disc.

Just sitting home today because the with had knee surgery and is laid up flat out. I'm out messing around trying to figure an easier way to adjust the pilot screw.

I soldered a piece of brass rod to the pilot screw and then threaded the end and loctited a knurled screw knob on.

Hope it works!

GaryL

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
First I have to see if it will vibrate itself out! Wish I had a new style carb here so I could see how Yamaha made that nifty little upgrade. I am betting they just threaded the inside of the pilot screw tube and we might be able to copy what they did.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
All done and working great! I turned down a faucet washer and epoxied it in the bottom of the pilot tube to help with vibration. Boy is it easy to fiddle with the setting now.

I won't be making these but anyone who wants to use my trick is welcome to it. Just make sure when you do the soldering that the pilot screw is up so the solder does not drip down and get in the threads and of course, remove the O ring.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
^^^if this works it's probably one of the best mods for every single TW rider!

expensive tool...
Dubach Racing Pilot Fuel Screw Tool | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
That is pretty funny! When I began messing around this morning and before I decided to solder to the pilot screw, I made that exact tool with the brass rod and knurled knob. It was still a PITA to work with near the hot engine which led me to do the soldering and permanently mount it in the tube.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 63 Posts