TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to splice two swingarms together to make one and I had a couple questions, it looks like I will get about 3 inches cutting and welding the 2 together and I want to mount an ATV tire, has anyone done this and kept a stock chain guard on the arm? or would the ATV tire rub on the inner guard mount? also what size rear sprocket would you say goes good with which ATV tire?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Depends on the tire. Some rub, some don't. Ideally you would keep the chain guard and reposition the tabs.

I run a 14/55 with my Bighorn2, but the various brands and sizes are of different diameters. You really need to get an actual mounted diameter before committing to a gear ratio.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I am going to splice two swingarms together to make one and I had a couple questions, it looks like I will get about 3 inches cutting and welding the 2 together and I want to mount an ATV tire, has anyone done this and kept a stock chain guard on the arm? or would the ATV tire rub on the inner guard mount? also what size rear sprocket would you say goes good with which ATV tire?

Contact Jimbo

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi

my advice would be: buy a brand new extended swing arm, way safer than the one you will make (someone already tried and gave up on the forum)

cheers

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi

well, I'm still not convinced Japanese owners buy Kijima, Kitaco or other brands because they're unable to modify genuine Yamaha swingarms, I mean I visited many workshops there and it's obvious that they're skilled enough to modify everything on the bike.

basically it's also possible to make your own soda in the states, just need to mix water, carbon gas, sugar, and some plants juices however most of the American ppl I know just go buy Coke or Pepsi at Walmart's

cheers

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Jimbos are like Tiggers. There's only one

·
Registered
229 Posts

I guess Ive been away for a wile. I feel like a Sasquatch visiting a camp site in here!

I have been very busy living , working at my other job, and tending to family. I have moded 3 swing arms so far. 1 4incher for me off one of my bikes for practice then Ronnydogs 4" and a 2" for the Lizzard. and Im slowly working on a way to jig them fast cut-em and stretch-em. It's more work than I thought, but there is hope.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Dear Sasquatch, YOU RAWK! And I'm gunna brag on you whether you like it or don't. I've been secretly fondling it for a full week, took it for long walks on the beach.... cooked it dinner... but when Purple caught me sleeping with it she drew the line. Now I gotta paint it and put it on the bike.

Here's a perfect swingarm splice as performed by a perfectionist. Perfectly parallel in all directions, no porosity, warpage, twist or deformation. Sleeved and Tig welded with spud welds in four places on the splice.

15 minutes per leg with a fine file and a few coats of primer sanded back were all that was required to get it to this point. I defy you to tell where the splice begins or ends:

The view down the legs:

This kind of work isn't yet cost-effective nor would it be remotely profitable for Jimbo at this point, and it may never be. But leave him alone and hope all that changes as he streamlines the process.

I just wanted to brag on him. This was one of his "practice" runs. He won't even tell me how many hours are in it.

I owe him large.

·
Registered
663 Posts
That thing is beautiful.

I tried to do this, but failed, so I imported one. I can only say from my experience, that to get one looking that purty took some time. At least a beer or maybe two

Looks good.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Skully,

I kept the chainguard. I had Jimbo leave the tabs on when he did the stretch. The rear one fell in the right place, so I drilled a piece of bar stock to the stock bolt spacing, bolted the tab to the jig, used the existing tab from the front swingarm half for alignment, then mig'd it on. I cut a tab from another swingarm by using thin, fine-blade hacksaw flush with the surface:

I'm superstitious about having a chainguard. I left all three tabs in place because I may go to a dual sprocket setup later and I may need it for a custom chainguard to match.

I've been running the stock guard without the inside support tab for a couple of years now with no issues. I just trimmed that part of the plastic completely off.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks LZB!! I'm stoaked you like it (My apologies Purple!)It was a bear, however it was a good experience gained. and you are welcome. I will try harder to keep a pulse on this board and not be such a sasquatch!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
What a beauty! Sometimes being a perfectionist isn't such a bad thing

Props to Jimbo!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts