TW200 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow. Awesome job Jimbo! You may get swamped with swingarm stretch request really soon!

I want to put a thousand miles on the TW before I stretch the swingarm, so I can see what the difference feels like.... but when I'm ready, I'll be contacting you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Figured I would share what I have been up to, I actually got about 4 inches of extension after the cuts and found a rectangle piece of steal that fit inside the arms with one of its sides cut off and ground to squeeze in, I forgot to take pictures of the welds but in addition to welding the two swing arms together I drilled 2 holes on either side of the split inside and out and filled them with welds for even more strength, then after some grinding and sanding I sandblasted and brought it to powdercoating.

I think I have enough going together on the bike that I may start a diary of the build. till then I am very confident in this swingarms strength what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
What are you guys using to line the swing arm up and make sure everything is trued and not misaligned when put back on the bike?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
What are you guys using to line the swing arm up and make sure everything is trued and not misaligned when put back on the bike?

X, I'm fabbing up a jig welded to the top of my welding table. This will allow me to keep both straight and height inline while I extend it.

I can tell you right now, it's NOT gonna look as nice as Jimbo's work !!!

I don't have an extra swingarm . . . so I will be extending/sleeving mine. Once I get it right, I plan to do D's.

Now I just need some shop time . . . .

Bag

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Without a jig, one would pretty much be left with the axle bolt, a tape measure, and a straight edge... take good measurements before you start!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I cut a piece of copper pipe to the distance that I wanted the spacing between the forks and C clamped pieces of angle iron to keep it from going anywhere, but I got to say with my splicing 2 swingarms together with a 6 inch piece of steel rammed inside the tubes it wasn't going to far, also tack the corners before running a bead or it will try to bend.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Mig works well. I've used wire feed and stick, but mig is better.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts