TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for those of you running extended swingarms how did you solve the short rear brake rod issue?

I've seen McMaster selection of hardware and thought about building one, but has anyone ever cut the rod in the middle and welded on an extension? My thought is you could build a sleeve to go around it, then crimp and weld?

Thoughts?

thanks Josh

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Ok, for those of you running extended swingarms how did you solve the short rear brake rod issue?

I've seen McMaster selection of hardware and thought about building one, but has anyone ever cut the rod in the middle and welded on an extension? My thought is you could build a sleeve to go around it, then crimp and weld?

Thoughts?

thanks Josh

The brake rod works under tension, so flexing isn't an issue. Cut the rod and weld a piece of similar diameter overlqapping the cut ends. good enough.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brake rod works under tension, so flexing isn't an issue. Cut the rod and weld a piece of similar diameter overlqapping the cut ends. good enough.

Thanks Qwerty, I'll drop off the brake rod with the swing arm when I have my old bike frame builder strech it.

josh

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Thanks Qwerty, I'll drop off the brake rod with the swing arm when I have my old bike frame builder strech it.

josh

I just took a look at some of my "stock" here. Oddly enough all of these Yamahas (and probably quite a few others) use essentially the same rod, only varying in length and the amount of threading on the end: Stock TW rod 21". Virago 920 24", Virago 750 24", XT600 23", etc. All are the same diameter rod and use the same clevis pin on the brake pedal end.

Welding one is fine, but if you had access to the Virago rod it could be a bolt-on option for a 3" stretch.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I just took a look at some of my "stock" here. Oddly enough all of these Yamahas (and probably quite a few others) use essentially the same rod, only varying in length and the amount of threading on the end: Stock TW rod 21". Virago 920 24", Virago 750 24", XT600 23", etc. All are the same diameter rod and use the same clevis pin on the brake pedal end.

Welding one is fine, but if you had access to the Virago rod it could be a bolt-on option for a 3" stretch.

A longer replacement would be a cleaner option than a welded rod. I wedged a branch between the brake rod and swing arm on a Honda, breaking the rod. I replaced the rod with a piece of bailing wire to finish the enduro. Worked fine.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.

Josh

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Let us know if you find one that works.

I still haven't got around to stretching my swingarm, so I can't tell for sure.

A lot of 80's and 90's Yamahas had drum brakes. I would guess that the Viragos, Maxxims and bigger road bikes would have the longer rods due to their long wheelbases.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I plan on using a coupling nut, some allthread, and 2 jam nuts

Yeah my rod is pretty much bent up after all these years. I will check out the other bikes listed earlier. I never thought about bigger bikes for the added length I think I will go for the longer swing arm myself. I have heard Japan makes a six inch bolt up kit?

·
Registered
20,647 Posts
6mm treaded couplers have been recently used by some to extend brake rod for 2 and 3 inch extended swing arms.. They are available from Ace Hardware if I recall correctly. I cut and tapped my rod to accept a threaded coupler, then drilled and thru-pinned the coupler to both the stock rod and the rod extension peening over the ends like a rivet for added security so that nothing becomes unscrewed while I adjust the brake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts