TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I gave my good friend Joemama a couple of rusty, crusty swingarms for him to try his hand at extending one of them with a modest 2" stretch. Here is the end result:

100_4441.JPG

100_4446.JPG

I am super pleased with the outstanding job that Joe did!

I literally could not tell how he had done the stretch and had to ask him for the details. Using two swingarms, he first shaved off the miscellaneous brackets that I didn't want and spliced the arms together using a 6" internal heavy wall steel sleeve. He then welded the swingarm segments to each other with the butt welds penetrating into the inner sleeves. He also then put a total of 36 plug welds - 9 on the outside and 9 on the inside on both arms - making it even stronger yet.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Joe - very well done!

Brian

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Joe has some awesome welding skills. One of the few skills I have not learned that I would very much like to. Nice job.

Tom

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
i saw it up close and can confirm: it is dang slick!
i can't wait to see it on your bike brian!

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Absolutely awesome fabrication.
Plus Brian got Joe to weld on nuts to which can now be threaded a variety of Brian's trickery like bolts for a wheel stand. What else, beer mug holder? I forget.
Totally jealous.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wish you could purchase moderately extended swingarms like this. The stock swingarm is too stubby looking, IMO, but the Japanese-style drag swingarms are way too long. Two inches of extension sounds about right.

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Good point Nicholast. Plus 2" gives needed room for wide ATV tires like the Bighorn2 so as to not jam rocks and debris between tire and front of swingarm. Nice tank avatar by the way.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Sweet! looks great!!!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Joe,

I got the swingarm mounted and lubed up. No problems, everything lined up and bolted together perfectly. Here are some shots showing how I am using a couple of those nuts that you welded on for me with my $5.00 garage sale rear stand which works great!

100_4450.JPG

I expended a lot of brain power trying to figure out how to extend the rear brake rod, but it turned out that the stock one works fine with just a little forward re-positioning of the rear brake arm.

100_4457.JPG

Unfortunately, I completely spaced out on the fact that I would need a longer chain with the extended swingarm (duh!).

100_4451.JPG

So, no test rides until I receive and get the longer chain put on. Here is what I think is a pretty good deal on the O-ring chains that I have ordered - $37.28 for a 132 link chain.

KMC O-Ring Chain 428UO

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You couldn't wait for the wrench and ride for installation could you? Hopefully you will get the chain before the ride part. Seeing your bike on the stand reminded me that I forgot to send back the carraige bolts. I will be interested in your thoughts after using it for awhile.

Joe

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You couldn't wait for the wrench and ride for installation could you? Hopefully you will get the chain before the ride part. Seeing your bike on the stand reminded me that I forgot to send back the carraige bolts. I will be interested in your thoughts after using it for awhile.

Joe
You're right Joe, I couldn't wait! The chain won't make it in time, so if the ride portion happens I'll have to take one of my other bikes. Keep the bolts. I got this lifetime supply box of 1/2" carriage bolts for $3.00 at the same garage sale where I got the rear stand - that's where I got the idea to use them as spools.

100_4463.JPG

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
-inquiring minds want to know... update??

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
-inquiring minds want to know... update??
Here's the update.

I took a break from my TW225+ 6-speed project and installed the new chain. A 132 link chain fits perfectly on Joemama's 2" extrended swingarm and the 55 tooth rear sprocket. I will cut a short length of chain that I can add when I want to use the 65 toother.

100_4610.JPG

The 2" stretch allows plenty of room at the front between the tire and swingarm and seems to be the perfect length for what I wanted.

100_4618.JPG

100_4620.JPG

A short test ride showed everything to be to be working and feeling fine. I am not sure that it is absolutely necessary, but I think my next step will be to add a little Christmas color to this bike.

100_4622.JPG

Thanks again Joemama, I couldn't be happier with this swingarm :D:D:D!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally got around to installing a ProCycle 19 kg spring to go along with Joemama's extended swingarm.

Here is the stock spring ready to come off.

100_4731.JPG

Since I was doing this job singlehandedly, I needed a little extra leverage. One hand to compress the spring and the other to remove the retaining clip.

100_4732.JPG

Retaining clip and stock spring removed.

100_4733.JPG

New spring installed.

100_4734.JPG

Back in business (even though you can't see the new spring).

100_4737.JPG

Pretty easy job with this little spring compressor tool. Only a few drops blood were sacrificed to the TW gods.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I will be starting on another one soon. It seems that the added horses of an 225x6 conversion, riders want a stretch to keep the front wheel on the ground!!!
I wish I had that problem. :(

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Joeband's is ready for installation.
i see a swing arm and i wanted painted black, that beauty of joemama is going on my back.... i hit the whoops and bumps too fast for my bike, but with the new swingarm and spring it might more to my like....

damn, now i need a new stronger spring, and, and, and.... this curse, this lovely curse.

thanks joe, that looks awesome!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts