TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok, no seat time but bike is back together. Thanks to Colby (villageidiot) for coming to rescue after my friend proved extremely unreliable. My trip to DV had to be delayed until next wednesday.

Colby welded up a 3" stretch, and now the bighorn is very happy and not rubbing. I utilized the stock brake rod, and added drum brake arm from a ttr225. I had purchased a Yamaha Virago XV750 brake rod, but it was too long. So I made the other one work. Figured I'd run the swingarm for my next trip then pull it apart and get it powder coated.

BTW- I need to run a 136 link chain with the 3" stretch and a jump to a 55tooth rear sprocket.

Reactions: Workingman

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good eye Gerry. Yep, a 62' lotus super 7. currently registered for the street.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lookin good josh. How'd it all go together?
Thanks Colby. Went together smooth. No issues. Took it out tonight for a run around the neighbor hood. Adjusted the the brake arm, cause my rear stopping was somewhat non-existant. Now locking up the bighorn on pavement with ease.

Looking forward to DV next week.

Josh

·
Registered
54 Posts
that 3" stretch looks great- you'll have to post more photos of that F A T tire! by the way ...how many road miles you think that maxxis bighorn is worth?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that 3" stretch looks great- you'll have to post more photos of that F A T tire! by the way ...how many road miles you think that maxxis bighorn is worth?
Not sure? I don't ride on the road too much, with the exception of tuning and adjusting. The TW is mainly for offroad.

Josh

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

FWIW, I "chunked" mine pretty good within the first 20 miles when a rock lodged itself between the stock-length swingarm and the tire. Rather than scrap it I decided to leave it on and wear it out. I've got a bit over a thousand road miles on it including one 500 mile day and it looks as if it will go at least a thousand more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
yea i dont think i'd put the bighorn on without the stretch for that reason. bikerjosh- is your suspension all stock? did you fab the front fender yourself? - i like the bracket going along the top

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i dont think i'd put the bighorn on without the stretch for that reason. bikerjosh- is your suspension all stock? did you fab the front fender yourself? - i like the bracket going along the top
I'm running a banshee rear shock, with a spacer and a v-star spring. (got the idea from MrGizmo). Not sure how it will perform offroad, but the extra length seems to have helped soften the suspension. I'll be in DV next week, so I should have a better idea after that.

The front fender bracket is just a section of aluminum "L" channel that I cut and bolted to the existing triple clamps. I got the idea from someone on the old forum.

Josh

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Impressions after lots of off road miles. The new swingarm is pretty nice overall. The extra leverage has made my banshee shock and v-star spring set up much more plush and active. The longer wheel base doesn't seem to hamper turning in tight terrain. The thing I notice is though my front forks need some work and are greatly over taxed now. I'm running air valves w/5psi, thicker shock oil and 1 inch spacers. Don't know whether I should be shopping for progressive springs for the current forks, subbing the lowers for a different set or just swap for a completely different set of forks.- Thoughts?

The bighorn 2 had great hook up even in the snow, but my bike was not very happy above 9k feet with my sea level jetting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Easiest route first... try progressive springs. If you don't like them I'm sure you can find someone on here to take them off your hands...

So... can we get a better look at the super 7?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well done, nice pic!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts