TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
things are VERY limited here on Island, but there are two EXCELLENT WELDERS !

My idea, use three swingarms

one will be for the parts , it will be cut up to use the material to make the extension

second will be sliced and extended then powdercoated

third will be used to make sure the finish product EXACTLY matches the width and centered (pattern)

my "vision" is the "piece" will duplicate the pictures posted, with an inner sleeve that slides inside, until the 8" is flush at both ends

then weld !

anyone with suggestions please help !

emillio

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
As you describe it, there will be two points of welding on each "leg" of the final swingarm as you add 8" of material between the parts you cut.

Here's an idea. Cut the legs of the first swingarm back near the axle holes, then second swingarm you cut 8" farther forward.
Add the longer legs to the first swingarm, with a properly sized tubing insert at the weld joint. You will have one strong weld on each leg.

·
Registered
386 Posts
extending the swing arm is very simple and doest require the best welder in the world…i am that proof…i did mine and it was the first thing i ever welded, cut the arm about 3" from the ends, hammer in 2x1 or 2x 1x1 metal bars inside the swing arm box section, example, if you want an 8" extend, the cut the bars at 15", hammer into the swing arm 4", then tap the ends on 2"…will leave an extension of 8"…spot weld them to secure, then finish the welds, use filler to bring to same level….took me about 2 hours to do mine and it was the first attempt and i made it up as i went…very simple
IMAG0009.jpg IMAG0013.jpg IMAG0005.jpg IMAG0012.jpg IMAG0007.jpg

i don't know why these picture are not in order, but you get the idea

1 - 4 of 4 Posts