TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My posts on XLForum.net have trailed off, as electrical and carb questions have very much lessened.
However, I do visit for research.
In so doing, I came across a thread on H-D batteries versus aftermarket.
As much as we may despise the plethora of chrome accessories marketed by H-D, there is a strong appreciation for H-D OEM batteries.
One long time poster, whom I respect, who is currently an independent mechanic and I think former H-D mechanic, advised that the contract manufacturer (Denka?) for H-D has vacuum fill process specified by H-D.

Some info on AGM vacuum filling systems:

AGM/VRLA Filling <span class="new_text">Â*NEWÂ*</span>

Acid Filling of AGM Batteries

The bottom line is the significant benefit of vacuum filling, which is not available for fill and seal by the purchaser.

I used to think that a fill and seal by purchaser was not a real AGM. I was wrong about that aspect, but there is a major difference with a vacuum fill process.

However, an AGM filled and sealed by purchaser is still much better than a wet cell standard lead-acid battery.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Deja Vu thread.

I had an AGM in my 1999 Softail that lasted 13 years. But it was a "branded" Harley AGM battery. Small lettering on the bottom indicated it was really a Yuasa. Still, to me that was pretty darn amazing. I retired it because I kinda could tell it was tasking itself starting the big twin. Still use it as a shop battery. Only one closer was also a Yuasa AGM (branded as a Polaris battery) in my Ural.
9 years.

In a thread here last week I learned you can fill your own AGM which is something I never knew. Or really want to do anyway.

WOW, you've got a lot of bikes! Cool.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW, you've got a lot of bikes! Cool.
No, just one at a time since 1979.
Number one in my signature is the bottom one, when I was 16.
Numbers 6, 7, 8 and 9/10 were simultaneous.
The 3 Yamaha enduros (6, 7 & 8) were sold when our cabin sold in 1979, as they were garaged in the cabin basement circa 1976 and no longer any room at principle residence garage.

I now have room for several in my garage, but no longer the inclination or finances to care for more than one...and that would interfere with riding!
Expect the odometer to turn ~5,500 miles by Wednesday, which will be 4 months in service for the CB1100.

·
Registered
515 Posts
While not familiar with smaller AGM's for cycles etc I am with aircraft, auto, rv's etc..... Major brands can be positioned in any direction. They are Vacuum sealed. I would assume that small AGM's, factory sealed can also be positioned in any position but that assumption may be wrong...hahahaaa

I would not be comfortable with a non factory sealed battery being used in any position other that upright. I also would not be comfortable if something happened to the charging system and caused thermal runaway.
Would the filler caps pop out or would the valve release gas?

With those questions I would prefer a Flooded Wet Cell with a tube attached to make any bubbling, electrolyte flow drip out under the cycle or any other application or a factory sealed AGM... Just saying.

Jim

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With those questions I would prefer a Flooded Wet Cell with a tube attached to make any bubbling, electrolyte flow drip out under the cycle or any other application or a factory sealed AGM... Just saying.
Jim, I am trying to figure out if you are serious or joking. Well, I expect serious about the factory filled AGM.

My earlier Yamahas had lead-acid batteries and many a time hydrochloric acid affected the paint on the frame, before I could recover from a spill.

All 4 of my batteries are new factory filled AGM.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Jim, I am trying to figure out if you are serious or joking. Well, I expect serious about the factory filled AGM.

My earlier Yamahas had lead-acid batteries and many a time hydrochloric acid affected the paint on the frame, before I could recover from a spill.

All 4 of my batteries are new factory filled AGM.
I too had that problem with FWC's leaking and corroding the frame on 1 cycle years ago.. The vent tube on FWC's provide the ability to attach a vent tube down and below the frame of the cycle.

That was what I was talking about....

As for a spill, or the bike falling on it's side, ugggggg! I agree. Caps leaking, not even knowing that they leaked just sucks!

As a note.... Old VW's frame pans under the rear passenger side seat corroded and were destroyed just by charging the battery with the engine if the battery was discharged... All that bubbling and outgassing =nasty.

Even with autos the battery trays corrode along with mounting hardware from the Hydrogen Sulfide vapor alone... Sealed FWC's help rid this situation but not always..

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts