TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to have a engine built for the T-dub that is basically a TTR motor with a machined TW longer transmission shaft so its a bolt into a 225 with a six speed. While installing the TW shaft I would have them replace any worn parts in the bottom end and probably new rings with a possible light rebore if needed.

So basically they would have to tear the 225 apart.
Have the longer TW shaft machined to fit the TTR six speed.
Freshen up the motor where needed.
And I would use the left side case from my current motor with the bearing for the longer TW shaft before I installed the new motor.

What is a fair price to have someone machine the TW shaft to fit the TTR 225 engine
Tear the engine all the way down and basically rebuild it
And install the new TW shaft?

I'm new at this so I don't have any idea what the ball park should be.
If any of you have had your motor rebuilt I would really appreciate any $ info.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
814 Posts
Don't forget oiling for that bearing at the end of the output shaft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OD - I've read all the posts on this forum that I could find about this mod and the oiling for the bearing is pretty vague. Does the shaft in stock form not oil the outside bearing in the TW?
If yes the why would it not continue to oil it after that 6 speed mod?
If no then why would it need to be oiled after the mod?

OR is if for a different bearing and I'm not understanding?
Is it for the bearing inside the left side cover for the sprocket drive shaft or is it an internal bearing?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well I don't have a great Idea of what they would charge you total, but ill tell you what I do know. Our local dealer charges a pile for anything, but the shop rate it 89 an hour and I would be seriously suprised if they charged less than 4 hours including a bore/hone. I have always replaced piston and rings with a tear down so that makes a bore/hone necessary. It seems to be a couple hundred bucks for all hardware gaskets and such. I would recommend you give this a try with all the support that you have here. This really is a simple motor and easy to work on with basic tools. Take those jis screws and toss those things out. replace with cap heads. If you send off your output shaft to the fella brian sent you all the rest is time and basic hand tools. I you were closer I would offer to help ya just for the company and good times. I have not completed my 225 yet, but I did rebuild the stock motor from a dead state and have done several other engines over the last decade. Good luck

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The outboard bearing oils with a passageway in the top of the cases and side cover. It's an open bearing and oil splashes out into the sump. The bearings inside the case are splashed by crank case oil and the oil slinging off the gears. The oil in the shaft lubricates the gears and nothing else.

·
Registered
264 Posts
OD - I've read all the posts on this forum that I could find about this mod and the oiling for the bearing is pretty vague. Does the shaft in stock form not oil the outside bearing in the TW?
If yes the why would it not continue to oil it after that 6 speed mod?
If no then why would it need to be oiled after the mod?

OR is if for a different bearing and I'm not understanding?
Is it for the bearing inside the left side cover for the sprocket drive shaft or is it an internal bearing?
When you use the TW output shaft you also need to use the TW side cover and electrics. The TW side cover has the passageway to return the oil to the crankcase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leben-
I plan on using the left side cover from my current tw engine but that will be the last thing I do so the bike is down for the least time possible.

Qwerty- thanks for the break down on the oiling. That makes much more sense.

From what I'm gathering on here I may end up trying to build this motor myself. I've been looking for parts and the gasket sets are everywhere and I can find a lower end bearing here and there. My Haynes manual will be here on Friday so hopefully it will have the schematics with part numbers. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to start a new thread for my engine build. What forum should I post it in?

·
Registered
816 Posts
download the factory service manual and stick to it. Very good manual to have. After building half a dozen engines or so I would highly recommend using OEM gaskets. Gonna cost you a few bucks more, but I have never had a single issue with them. When it comes time to seal the two case halves be CLEAN and take your time. I buy most of my parts from rockymountainatvmc.com. they have all the parts breakdowns there for you while you order and the service has been good. My local yami dealer wants about 20% over MSRP for everything and charges shipping for special orders, not to mention they dont really want to help anyone. When you get to it I think this goes into performance and customization. I have a 225 build going there as well. there are a few others in that neighborhood. I you're gonna buy a second output shaft you wont be down long for the swap. Remember that you will have to replace the bearing in the left 225 case where the output shaft goes through as the stock 225 output shaft steps down. Take your time, be clean, replace worn parts, and use a torque wrench.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts