TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the last week I've made a few trips over the Sierras via three mountain passes and the fall colors and scenery have been very nice. Thought I'ld share some pics and videos as I slowly dredge them out of the cell phone.

When I was done playing with spiders
and riding with the TW gang at the Russ Memorial
I went home via Yosemite.
After encouraging the Roadtrips to go there I just had to roll the bike out to ride the Glacier Point road. Very nice on a TW . I recommend it.

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I made it up Lundy Canyon to attempt a better shot of the scenery TopPredator had admired. Truely beautifull canyon, those beavers live in a very scenic place

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When I was near Carson Pass I stopped to inspect some ancient river gravels above 8,000 feet ( well rounded boulders up to 3 ft across) that were the bed load of a major river before the entire paleo- topography was buried under massive basalt flows.

Much of the northwest still remains buried under these regional volcanic flows. In places mountain uplift and resulting erosion has cut down revealing glimpses into the past. Treasures from the past too...whatever mountains existed before contained gold which these buried rivers concentrated creating many of the placer gold deposits hydraulic miners pursued after the 49-ers cleaned up the modern river placers. Wherever these ancient perched river gravels were found the prospectors would build flumes collecting water from far afield to process the auriferous gravels. Remnants of these 140+ year old flumes can be found here and there perched along cliff faces and traversing slopes. Sometimes impressive tunnels were built to channel surface water to these remote dry ancient river deposits.
Around here the volcanic cap rock pokes up here and there but I appreciate where erosion has cut down revealing and sculpting the granite batholith and metamorphic belts below.

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Certainly Yosemite can be spectacular despite the crowds.

Getting off the roads avoids most of the crush of humanity. As I wasted last hours of daylight looking for campsite in the park I ended up hiking up Lambert dome as the moon rose, no crowds after dark. Quite and magical scrambling up the smooth rock faces just me and the moonlight.

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So following a moonlit cruise out over Tioga Pass to Mono Lake I ended camping by some hot springs. A beautiful sunrise followed by fresh brewed coffee while soaking weary bones was a good way to start the day

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Beautiful.

Reactions: jeffrolives

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Got out before the Rains came last night...yesterday was perfect riding weather in West Central Ohio...Colors about a week from "Peak", temps in the lower 70s, Sunshine until late afternoon:

Fall Ride TW October 003 (2).JPG Fall Ride TW October 010 (1).JPG Fall Ride TW October 017 (2).JPG Fall Ride TW October 016 (1).JPG Fall Ride TW October 015 (1).JPG

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
And a few more

Fall Ride TW October 007.JPG Fall Ride TW October 008.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
and yet some others....

Fall Ride TW October 006 (1).JPG Fall Ride TW October 002 (1).JPG Fall Ride TW October 013 (1).JPG

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Those are some pretty good Fall Color photos Hoot! And a nice temperature to ride in as well!
Yep, not many "perfect" riding days, but yesterday was one...today :( 60 and steady drizzle :eek:

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great pics Hoot. You and that bike seem made for each other.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Fred's Photo.jpg

Damn Fred if this is your photo it should stand alone....they don't get any better than this::hypnotysed:

Reactions: Purple and Tweaker

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, my pics Hoot. 'Twas a bueatifull day up Lundy canyon.

Even found this happy indian.

I was on my way home w/o time to unload and ride either Betty Boop or the Snow Blower but just had to detour to revisit.

Lundy is a side canyon draining Wilderness area into Mono Lake.

I like to get pretty tourist girls to take my ugly picture. Seems to work...must be out of sympathy.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
So following a moonlit cruise out over Tioga Pass to Mono Lake I ended camping by some hot springs. A beautiful sunrise followed by fresh brewed coffee while soaking weary bones was a good way to start the day
Fred those are some nice hot springs. I have never really been up to the Eastern Sierras much until this last year. We did do a horse pack trip years ago into Virginia Lakes. These pics make me want to explore some more. Thanks. I am sure we will be getting up there more since my wife is retiring this year plus my brother has a cabin near Twain Heart on the west side with great riding nearby.

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why does this crazy fellow travel with a snow blower you may well ask. Well actually Plumbstraight sold me his YardMachine at a fantastic price and delivered it to me at Santa Margarita Memorial Ride in Honor of departed forum legend LIZDBRTH.
My timing was fortuitous. Fall leaves were great Monday only to get likely blown away by intensely windy storm front that blew through Friday closing Yosemite's Tioga Pass under a blanket of heavy snow. Maybe I should take snow blower back and try to pioneer my way back over 10,000 ft summit to Tioga Lake as seen in last picture above.:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts