TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saabug (Jeremy's) and I were laughing about our Farkels that failed on out last ride. Mine was my mounted pump that got knocked off the front fork while mowing down saplings as I traversed through the woods. My son noticed it was missing and we quickly found it. Upon close inspection I found it was rusted to the point where it is unusable. I'll let Saabug elaborate on his Farkel failures.
What Farkel failures have you Experienced?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
So far I have not had any farkle failures, but my bike is a little lite in that area. I've got bark busters, homemade rack, heated grips, Shinko knobby on front, brighter bulbs in dash, homemade handlebar risers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does blowing out the gel inserts in your shorts count.????? Oh and Im still determined to make the tool tube work.
Saabug (Jeremy's) and I were laughing about our Farkels that failed on out last ride. Mine was my mounted pump that got knocked off the front fork while mowing down saplings as I traversed through the woods. My son noticed it was missing and we quickly found it. Upon close inspection I found it was rusted to the point where it is unusable. I'll let Saabug elaborate on his Farkel failures.
What Farkel failures have you Experienced?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If you like the looks of different mirrors just remember the right side is reverse thread. Some of the standard bark buster lever protectors take a bit of figuring and bending or grinding to make them fit because the cross bar is in the way. The front cycle rack is pretty much useless because it blocks your headlight when you put stuff on it. The Pro Cycle tool tube was a nice addition except if you put small stuff in it the stuff would go to the bottom and my hand could not fit in to get it out. Open it up and pop a wheelie or stick a length of bendable wire in it so you can fish things back out. The oil coolers work great but here in the frozen north you need to cover over the cooler or your engine will never reach a good operating temp in cold weather. Almost all of the after market and OEM rear racks are mounted such that they have no real weight load capacity. Cycle Rack is the answer if you carry weight. That rubber pad on the back is good for around a gallon of milk.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Hey G, guess what? :eek:

*A gallon of milk can weigh between 8.5 and 8.8 pounds depending on the percentage of fat. (whole, 1%, skim, ect.) So we're screwed with a 7lb limit on the back.....sheeeeeee*

Yamaha should be ashamed that their mighty TW can't even haul a gallon of milk without the risk of breaking the bike!!!

*But here's the good news: If you take your TW to Mar's, the gallon of milk weighs only 3lbs. so you can carry 2 of them!! :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
My Giant Loop Moto wind deflectors for the handguards r great for street use. Not so much when the bike is laying down and i'm dragging the handlebar back to pull the bike out of a spot. Cause one of the deflector's strap snapped off. Luckily the snaps r replaceable or u can just use zip ties.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I need to add to my previous farkle list: Tool Tube, Ricochet Skid Plate, Front Fender Mud Flap.:)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The 25 mm ammo can you see in my avatar, made a great top box. Except that the sub frame kept breaking. When I reinforced the sub frame enough, Then the welds on the cycle rack wouldn't hold. Went to a soft bag, and no more problems.
What freaking "Ammo Can"? Many of us are well over 60 and can't even see those tiny blabitar images! Here is a heads up. If the cyclerack can't hold it then it is probably too heavy for the TW! I and most of us here have never seen a rear rack much stronger.

GaryL

·
Registered
234 Posts
What freaking "Ammo Can"? Many of us are well over 60 and can't even see those tiny blabitar images! Here is a heads up. If the cyclerack can't hold it then it is probably too heavy for the TW! I and most of us here have never seen a rear rack much stronger.

GaryL
Ammo can weighed 11 lbs. empty. I probably never had over 30 lbs total on the back of the bike. Most of the time when the rack broke the box was basically empty. I think it has more to do with something being solidly mounted than the weight.

·
Registered
312 Posts
my homemade front rack has some issues...with nothing on it the harmonics of the bike have manage to break it apart:mad: so back the the drawing board for a redesign...

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Yes, I did have the lids screwed on the threads cleanly, and tight.

At the end of the day, I decided I do not have a need for the Tool Tubes, and will be carrying anything that "might" have been inside them.....now in my new Pelican Case #1450, which I will securely mount to my rear rack, and use to haul all my items...safely and securely.
i found the exact same thing, in fact i did an extra 17 miles once looking for my "black coffee cup" that another rider saw in the middle of the trail. i love my pelican case.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm probably gonna put a pelican box on my manracks for tools and stuff. Now I just gotta decide which size.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My digital battery gauge.

Not so much a failure but an unforeseen annoyance. It was only 5 or 6 bucks off ebay and is hard wired to my battery. I put it on to keep an eye on my charging system after I put my grip heaters on. And this thing is bright. Too bright. At night it's a distraction that took some getting used too.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Ammo can weighed 11 lbs. empty. I probably never had over 30 lbs total on the back of the bike. Most of the time when the rack broke the box was basically empty. I think it has more to do with something being solidly mounted than the weight.
I never had any issue with this set up which I am sure is a lot heavier. IMG_0467.JPG

GaryL

1 - 20 of 50 Posts