TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Is 185 miles on the clock too soon to take at Highway speeds? I really want an extended run at 60 to see what the little Dub is like... Too soon??
If you do, let it cool down slow. Don't just run it HARD then shut it off and park.

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Any debris trapped on a filter has already been caught and removed from the fluid stream. As such it will do no further harm unless in the highly unlikely event that there is so much debris that it impedes flow rate. Similarly factory oil with only 180+ miles will not have suffered much thermal break-down, acid build-up or acquired much micro particulates. That said there is nothing wrong with an early oil change from whatever oil came in the bike to a known quality product.

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
On the way home from the dealer, I held it wide open for about a mile. 7,800 miles on it now, no apparent damage. I figured, what the heck, it's under warranty.
bye bye 20,000 miles later on... :eek:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Is 185 miles on the clock too soon to take at Highway speeds? ...
Depends what you mean by highway speeds....with stock gearing going up to 60 should not cause issues if only for five minutes or so. Running any steady RPM for a long while is not the best form of break-in...but the engine doesn't know if it's going 6 or 60, and the best cooling will occur at 60 in 5th. Go for it! Just don't go down a long hill at 75! :eek:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I think you could go all day long keeping it between 45 and 60 MPH and not have a thing to worry about. The idea would be to NOT peg it at 60 and keep it right there for the entire ride. I have a cheap tachometer on mine and if memory serves me at 60 MPH it is revving at right around 7,000 RPMs with stock gearing. It is a lot more comfortable driving along at 50-55 so that is where I tend to enjoy it best.

GsryL

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
The thing with engine "break-in" of (all internal combustion engines IMHO) is mostly this; when it comes to highway speeds, DO NOT run consistently at the same speed / RPM / load for any substantial distance, vary these regularly while going down the hwy for the first 300 (liberal) miles or so. If not you can get glazing of the cylinder wall and other various issues that fall under the failure to break in properly umbrella, just try to vary the speed and load and try not to wind it out too much until it is broke in. Using Dino oil for break in is better than full synthetic. Of course there are variables but that's it in a nutshell. I personally run new engines pretty hard after the first 150 mi.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I try to not run my "new" bike at over 50-55 for long periods. I break in a lot of engines and think that hard pull, back off, hard pull, back off is best and no lugging of the engine
but no winding it out either.

My bike is at 450 miles now and not an oil change yet but getting ready to.

I think it's best to just not "Red Line" it until you have it over 1000 miles and a couple oil changes but I'm one to baby my bikes I guess.

However, you'd think I "ride them like I stole them" if you see me ride at times.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Hey that looks like my bike...! GET HIM!

I try to not run my "new" bike at over 50-55 for long periods. I break in a lot of engines and think that hard pull, back off, hard pull, back off is best and no lugging of the engine
but no winding it out either.

My bike is at 450 miles now and not an oil change yet but getting ready to.

I think it's best to just not "Red Line" it until you have it over 1000 miles and a couple oil changes but I'm one to baby my bikes I guess.

However, you'd think I "ride them like I stole them" if you see me ride at times.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts