TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Never ridden one. Have thought about buying, but it would just sit more than I'd prefer.

Of the many Youtube videos I've seen, it seems they are little torque monsters, going up inclines with no problem.

There is a subculture/cult following of them. If you are interested, check it out from that angle for known issues, mods, etc.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Use the forum search, covered here a few times.
QC is iffy. Most customers found that product arrived damaged from shipping which means once you put gas and oil into it you are going to have a real problem returning.
Tractor Supply sells assembled off-the-floor. If you are going to jump in buy it assembled from someplace you can actually return it to for refund or exchange.
Read the customer reviews very carefully and not just the one's on "Coleman's" site. Looks like a lot of fun if you get a good one or can sort things out yourself. I looked at some used ones in my area last May. They were either not running or repaired, usually the governor or bad welds. Made me change my mind about buying new. If a Manco Big Cat ever comes up in my area...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have one I bought for $275 from a neighbor that was moving. Since it's so light I had thoughts of carrying it on the back of my Polaris Ranger as a way to get back to my truck in the event of a breakdown. I've only ridden it maybe 3 times up and down the street to make sure it'll still run. I don't know if it's just mine but the governor will only allow it to do about 15-20 mph and it surges quite badly. I wouldn't recommend buying one. There are videos on youtube about disconnecting the governor but I don't think that's a good idea as the poor handling could get one in trouble with more speed.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
There are a lot of us here who started out on motorized 2 wheelers back as kids. I remember those days very well and all fond memories. I certainly would not want one today but if I had young children this is what I would start them on. We had a complete blast riding them until they broke and then we all started learning the art of fixing them. Fast forward and there is nothing on a TW that scares me to dive into repairing it. IMO these are real nice kids toys and nothing more. My very first mini bike was given to me with a blown engine. I worked like a dog to get a working engine in it and then rode the snot out of 2 more engines before I finally bought a real dirt bike. We lived right by an old RR bed that had the tracks and ties all removed and miles of great places to ride to with good fishing and swimming holes all over.

GaryL

·
Registered
555 Posts
I started out on a Big Bear Scrambler minibike. (1967?)
Smaller than the one pictured above, no fenders, no suspension, 3 hp engine, and slow.
But it felt mighty fast with the dinky wheels, pathetic brake, and no suspension.
An excellent bike for kids to learn on and have a ton of fun with.
No clutch or gears to worry about and it is low and light so it is not scary, and it is so small and slow it can be great fun just riding around in an average back yard after school.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
It was all about the wheel back as little kids. We started on a tricycle and moved up to a bike with training wheels and then they removed the trainers and we found freedom to roll. We lived on the seats of our bikes almost every hour we were not in school or doing chores. The day I finally pulled the cord and that 3 1/2 HP B&S motor came to life it was better than sex even though I knew nothing about sex back then but I sure did get stuck to the seat. I don't think I ever rode my bicycle again after I had a motor under me. We were devious little suckers and at Christmas instead of asking for a new bicycle we all wanted lawn mowers. Think about it, mow some lawns with a gas lawn mower to get money to buy gas for the mower and the minibike. We all had 2 gallon gas cans strapped on our mini bikes and if our parents ever knew just how far we went on them they would have had a fit. My biker gang was called the "Rough Riders" and none of us was more than 12. By 10 AM on Saturday mornings we all had our chores done and our bikes gassed up plus an old army nap sack filled with water and a few PBJs plus our fishing poles, worms and a swim suit and towel. The only rule was be home for dinner and don't dare be late.

GaryL

·
Registered
237 Posts
I remember learning to ride on a Taco mini-bike, and being quite nervous the first time I got on one. The thought of all that power! What an awesome memory - Forever ago, when I was a little kid.

I see that Taco is still making kits for building mini-bikes.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My first "real bike" was similar to a Taco. Grandma got it for me to ride the summer I graduated from elementary school to middle school. I loved that bike and would beg to ride it every time I visited. Couldn't do it too often, though, because Grandaddy had to carry it in the trunk of the car down to the church field - the only place to ride in the city, and I wasn't allowed to ride on pavement. The bike was eventually given to my younger cousin who lived in the country. Ah, memories of things that got us hooked on motorcycles... Good times :)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The Big Bear scrambler I remember from 1967 was a 305cc motorcycle made by Yamaha and sold for about 700 dollars. I had a 250 Catalina in those days having sold my Harley duo glide the year before.
BTW, where is the sidecar for that Coleman?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts