TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys at last week's Wrench & Ride got a sneak peek at my latest project - a fat tired Mongoose motorized mountain bike. Today I mixed up some 2-stroke gas & oil fuel and got it fired up and running. I still need to do some final adjustments, but third gear is about the fastest that I felt comfortable riding it today with the current brake setup.

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2578.JPG

·
Registered
62 Posts
That’s one nice install. A few years back I put 66cc motor on an old 21 speed mountain bike. It was a hoot to scream around the neighborhood on. One day there was a radar board put up to encourage people to slow down in the area. Big mistake, I couldn’t go by it enough times to check my speed. Managed to hit 22mph for a top speed. Was a lot of fun.

I hope you get to enjoy your bike as much as I did mine.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just recently stumbled across the freewheeling 'hub' for the front chainring. Boy, that added some major modding potential. Gave some thought to seeing how might integrate the front freewheeling feature to my Golden Eagle kit. As always, your execution and presentation are VERY IMPRESSIVE.
Thanks Gerry!

Be careful Brian, that bike looks like a bone breaker.
You mean like this?

Fractured triquetral bone in left wrist.jpg

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That’s a cool project. Great job. Street only? Or do you have plans to hit the trails? Cheers

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I checked the date on the X-ray making sure you were not trying to get extra mileage out of the knee op. Damn my Friend, you need to be, well, luckier. Would like to think being careful should take care of it all, but have learned, such is not the case. Heal quickly.

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
The guys at last week's Wrench & Ride got a sneak peek at my latest project - a fat tired Mongoose motorized mountain bike. Today I mixed up some 2-stroke gas & oil fuel and got it fired up and running. I still need to do some final adjustments, but third gear is about the fastest that I felt comfortable riding it today with the current brake setup.

View attachment 138873

Such ingenuity! :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Cool. Tight assembly space. I would think the engine angle or more importantly the carb angle would present problems idling. No problem climbing hills though. Sick bike parts has some great jack shaft parts. That's how I built the bracket on my current bike.

Me and my friends have built several of them. We've had some issues with the magneto wire either breaking or the coil corroding. Also if you can rebuild them with more precision you can get more performance out of them. Most of us switched to 4 stroke motorized bicycles but I'm not sure if I'm still interested in them. I'm a wide axle away from finishing a 4 stroke felt/phantom copy frame with apehangers. I had it running but the axle is barely long enough to put a nut on. It's fun but I might sell it to upgrade my Tdub.
DSCF0371.JPG

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Great job on those bikes. I think the one needs a chain guard unless you ride only with steel toed motorcycle boots with pants stuck in. I had some bad wrecks when pants got hung, especially when jumping a ramp.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Great job on those bikes. I think the one needs a chain guard unless you ride only with steel toed motorcycle boots with pants stuck in. I had some bad wrecks when pants got hung, especially when jumping a ramp.
The jack shaft is a common set up though no one I know locally has done it yet. Some of us have considered it but there's a lot to consider. I'm guessing you dress accordingly (tuck in laces, tall boots or high socks) since a chain guard would be a little complicated.

Oh yeah...a few mods to consider. Boost botttle...smoother throttle response and drilling out the stock exhaust. Even a small hole can help with more power. And also there are more powerful CDI units that are a huge boost.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool. Tight assembly space. I would think the engine angle or more importantly the carb angle would present problems idling. No problem climbing hills though. Sick bike parts has some great jack shaft parts. That's how I built the bracket on my current bike.

Me and my friends have built several of them. We've had some issues with the magneto wire either breaking or the coil corroding. Also if you can rebuild them with more precision you can get more performance out of them. Most of us switched to 4 stroke motorized bicycles but I'm not sure if I'm still interested in them. I'm a wide axle away from finishing a 4 stroke felt/phantom copy frame with apehangers. I had it running but the axle is barely long enough to put a nut on. It's fun but I might sell it to upgrade my Tdub.
View attachment 162233
Thanks T.W.!

I like your 4-stroker! It's probably a bit more civilized than my little 2-smoker.

The carb mounting on mine was the best that I could do with standard available parts. I have since upgraded to a "race" carb and added a pullstarter, which is a lot easier and more convenient than the starting drill required with one of these jackshaft fitted engines.

I am looking to sell this bike and maybe do an an electric one next.

Brian

New iPhone Pics 275.JPG

New iPhone Pics 249.JPG

·
Registered
818 Posts
hey I really wwant to know more about that gearbox that lets you use the existing chain and gears. where can I get that motor and gearbox its sort of new to me. I have that same bike and havent done anything with it really

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
742 Posts
I put one of those engines on a cruiser bike a few years ago; still have it. I put an expansion chamber on mine. Planning to upgrade to a high compression head soon.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
hey I really wwant to know more about that gearbox that lets you use the existing chain and gears. where can I get that motor and gearbox its sort of new to me. I have that same bike and havent done anything with it really

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk
Sick Bike Parts Was intrigued with their offerings, many afford a whole new approach to optimizing the bikes 'drive-train'. My browser suggested caution when entering credit card info, perhaps that is the result of these folks not paying someone for a 'certificate'.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Sickbikeparts sells the jackshaft and shift kits as well as some electric kits. I've order from them several times and they're great. I believe the 2 stroke motorized bicycle kit is separate. I got mine from motorizedbicycle.ca. mzmiami has a great selection. If you stumble on to Gasbike or any of the internet sister sites (they have several with the same mailing address) make sure to use paypal to give you more protection. Gasbike is a shady company. They didn't respond to emails on missing items so we had to sick paypal on them and we got the appropriate refund.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts