TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, my thoughts go out to our neighbor who lost everything in the fire. Home, cars, misc property and worst of all, pets. Edit: I was just informed the family is ok and saved all of their pets. My thoughts are also with all the other neighbors who lost property but not their homes. Thanks to all the fire departments who responded. I may miss one or two but it's not intentional (New Plymouth, Middleton, Caldwell, Eagle, and BLM.

The fire got within about 50 yards of our house and shop. Thankfully, my pops-in-law refreshed the firebreak in our pasture's. You can see the firebreak here between the BLM Crew and my shop.

BLM Crew on mop up in our pasture. Our firebreak is in the foreground (dirt)

Helicopter w/bucket on way to neighbors

More of our burnt pasture

More mop up in our pasture as helo is on anther water drop

Helo picked up water in local irrigation canal

Two neighbors places here. The one which lost their home is furthest back by trees.

The picture was taken from our driveway. Our place is to the left of this picture. BLM truck is in our pasture checking for hot spots with the helo on another water drop.

To the right is another neighbor with some of his stuff on fire.

Turned out to be a very memorable fathers day.

·
Registered
664 Posts
One of my old BLM crewmembers was staffing that ship...Heard about it, but didn't know it was your backyard....One good thing, now you have a new and improved fireline for the rest of the summer...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,161 Posts
Glad you all are safe, the plowed firebreak sure gives good defensible space.
So sorry to hear of your neighbor’s losses, very sad.

Yesterday’s local fire here swept right up through sparse timber to edge of friend’s historic homestead ranch. House is maybe 80 ft from the tree line at edge of meadow. Fortunately first responders helped evac all the cattle and horses, left 20+ feral barn cats to fend for themselves. Kind of hard to herd cats.

This fire was the second one in same area in last three weekends attributed to target shooters. Word of advice? Have a beer after shooting and watch/wait for smoldering ricochets. If anything is smoking deploy your little personalized fire hose and attack the fire. Refill with more beer as necessary.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Glad you guys are ok. The needed rain brings mixed blessing including a chance for a bad fire season. I think we will be in for a bad one here in SoCal too.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you all are safe, the plowed firebreak sure gives good defensible space.
So sorry to hear of your neighbor’s losses, very sad.

Kind of hard to herd cats.

This fire was the second one in same area in last three weekends attributed to target shooters.

I saw some of this your wife posted of facebook. All this fire stuff is scary.

Herding the mules here was a little tricky too. They weren't in danger from the fire but we were afraid of them getting out after the BLM cut our fence. Originally, the mules were pretty nervous and kept to the opposite end of the pasture. Then they got curious which is when Lori kept mentioning to here dad about gathering them up so they couldn't get out. I was on my motorcycle and they kept trying to go in every corner and every direction of the pasture except where we wanted them to go. Lori in the jeep pops on the ATV and me on the TW finally got them to go in the right pasture.

·
Super Moderator
17,934 Posts
Prayers for your friends and neighbors and a BIG THANK YOU JESUS for you guys!! :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks to the Admiral for having video that can be posted....most of the video I took couldn't be posted due to my swearing! oops!
My dad got the fences repaired (so the mules can securely be curious). The fire department is still hanging out at the neighbors (The Pollock's) smoldering ash pile (what was their house) - my heart goes out to them as they lost everything.
I'm hoping all the neighbors will learn from this and see how important it is to have a defensible space/fire break around their homes.
I am very thankful for all the fire departments that responded and did what they could to save what they did.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Having worked heavy equipment on many fires, I can sure attest to the fact, they are indiscriminate in what they burn. It is just a matter of material to burn. The self generated heat will ignite anything.
Fire breaks are the salvation to covering you A** on wild fires. Glad to hear your loss was very limited do to good planning.
Mel

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
WOW! That's scary. Glad you guys were OK.

·
Registered
20,161 Posts
The loss of a home must be horrible, my deepest sympathy for the neighbors, the Pollacks.

Fire is out at yesterday’s blaze some 3 air miles away from here, just a mop up crew now. The fire crews did a good job suppressing the fire right at the ranch house, elsewhere it burned to the pasture margins.
Livestock are back in their pasture happily munching green grass.

...except for this big guy who seemed quite interested in getting up close and personnel, and I don’t think it was to express gratitude. Could it have something to do with the red shirt?

EDIT: Sorry to hijack thread again, it is just that this brahma’s intense look as he stalked me was too good not to share.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Kris; glad you and Lori are ok.

I would have felt bad (bringing you bad luck) had your place been damaged right after my first trip to your place dropping that sprocket off on your doorstep.

Do the neighbors that got burnt out have family local?

·
Super Moderator
17,934 Posts
An invasion of Koalas? :eek:
I read somewhere that Australian Eucalyptus have been planted in the US now, anyone here have any experience in this? If anyone is living near a plantation you need to get up to speed on what you may be in for...

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
WOW! Glad to hear our members are safe and sad about the neighbors loss.

I live in fear of forest fires hense the town name Forestburgh! My home is surrounded by very large evergreens on all sides and we do have forest fires every dry season but so far none close to here that caused me any worry. My house would be a gonner quick if the trees right off my yard ever do burn and we do not have the fire fighting capabilities like you guys out west.

I have often thought, as an effort to protect my home, of cutting back the trees but most are not even on my 3 acres of property. I also would have made the roof of my home metal rather than the tar based shingles it has. I also thought I would install a piped sprinkler system on the peak of the roof that could be employed by a stand alone waste water pump with gas engine off the electric grid that would certainly go down in a real fire. This could pump water from the creek or even a swimming pool to keep the metal roof wet and hopefully douse any embers that land on it. Not sure if this would do the trick but just thoughts.
My garden hose with the water supply from a well would be useless because it won't spray enough water to make much difference but I do have a stand by generator to keep the power on and well water flowing. My home has vinyl siding and shrubbery all around the outside, all very combustible materials. In a very dry season the creek on the edge of my property goes nearly dry so the pump would likely be useless in a very short time.

I did go to the Google earth site one time and was able to zoom right in on top of my home and the surrounding forest that I am right smack in the middle of. Very scary for sure and just a few years back across the road from me the loggers set the forest on fire but mother nature saved us with a heavy rain that very day. Our best hope is to just get the hell out of here if/when a fire ever does get close and hopefully have enough time to load up the vehicles and trailers with the important belongings we would want to save. We just don't have the luxury of being out in the middle where we can dig fire breaks and protect the surrounding edges if it ever happens.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,161 Posts

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read somewhere that Australian Eucalyptus have been planted in the US now, anyone here have any experience in this? If anyone is living near a plantation you need to get up to speed on what you may be in for...

The eucalyptus tree is something I'm totally unfamiliar with.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kris; glad you and Lori are ok.

I would have felt bad (bringing you bad luck) had your place been damaged right after my first trip to your place dropping that sprocket off on your doorstep.

Do the neighbors that got burnt out have family local?
They have a son & daughter that I'm aware of but no idea if they're in the area. We saw a vehicle marked with "Fire Advocacy" lettering on the doors so we assume they are getting some guidance. We'll see in the coming days & weeks what direction their recovery will take.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW! Glad to hear our members are safe and sad about the neighbors loss.

I live in fear of forest fires hense the town name Forestburgh! My home is surrounded by very large evergreens on all sides and we do have forest fires every dry season but so far none close to here that caused me any worry. My house would be a gonner quick if the trees right off my yard ever do burn and we do not have the fire fighting capabilities like you guys out west.

I have often thought, as an effort to protect my home, of cutting back the trees but most are not even on my 3 acres of property. I also would have made the roof of my home metal rather than the tar based shingles it has. I also thought I would install a piped sprinkler system on the peak of the roof that could be employed by a stand alone waste water pump with gas engine off the electric grid that would certainly go down in a real fire. This could pump water from the creek or even a swimming pool to keep the metal roof wet and hopefully douse any embers that land on it. Not sure if this would do the trick but just thoughts.
My garden hose with the water supply from a well would be useless because it won't spray enough water to make much difference but I do have a stand by generator to keep the power on and well water flowing. My home has vinyl siding and shrubbery all around the outside, all very combustible materials. In a very dry season the creek on the edge of my property goes nearly dry so the pump would likely be useless in a very short time.

I did go to the Google earth site one time and was able to zoom right in on top of my home and the surrounding forest that I am right smack in the middle of. Very scary for sure and just a few years back across the road from me the loggers set the forest on fire but mother nature saved us with a heavy rain that very day. Our best hope is to just get the hell out of here if/when a fire ever does get close and hopefully have enough time to load up the vehicles and trailers with the important belongings we would want to save. We just don't have the luxury of being out in the middle where we can dig fire breaks and protect the surrounding edges if it ever happens.

GaryL

We're about as well protected as one can be. The origin of this fire was very close. Had we needed to evacuate in a hurry we wouldn't have had much time to save anything. Given more time and distance from the start of a fire, it would be a different story. My shop borders a fence line with the firebreak on the other side. If the firebreak wasn't there I'm not sure how the shop would have faired. It is a metal shop but I'm sure that would stop the hottest of fires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad you and yours area around are OK but lets not so easily overlook that it was no accident. YOU cut the fire lines, cleared areas around structures and had a plan. No surprise you own such an awesome moto.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts