TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Faulty connection for turn signals?

976 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bcazko 
#1 ·
Hey guys, happy Friday.

Went down on an icy road yesterday and afterwards I noticed all 4 of my indicator lights began flickering and would go out completely, intermittently. Today I started it up and my front 2 are now functional, but slightly dimmer than usual. The back 2 are out completely, but will still work if I signal right or left, so I don't think it's a bulb issue. Anyone know what this could mean? I assume there's a weak/faulty connection somewhere, but I'm not at all an electrically-inclined person and don't know where to look.

Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
The rear lights are only on when signaling left or right (blinking) and do not stay on as running lights such as the front do depending I think, what year you have.

As for the dimming effect on the front, if you are referring to running light mode only, sounds like you may have a bad ground from your spill, most likely on the side the bike fell on. It is possible the bulb on that side is hunting a ground through the bulb on the other side causing the two bulbs to operate as if wired in series. Same effect as applying 6 volts to a 12 volt bulb.

Hopefully someone else such as Fred, TWBrian or GaryL will chime in who are far more familiar and can tell you where to pinpoint the ground location if that is the problem.

Since your problem seems to be intermittent, I would say you are not completely out and may just need to top off the blinker fluid. However, it is my understanding that only the models sold in Greece have such fluid and is easily obtainable as it runs freely through the aquaducts. Their blinkers have a more fluid, or graceful flash if you will, and come on and go off, come on and go off. Whereas ours are just on-off-on-off-on-off!:D

Reactions: YamTW87
#5 ·
The rear lights are only on when signaling left or right (blinking) and do not stay on as running lights such as the front do depending I think, what year you have.

As for the dimming effect on the front, if you are referring to running light mode only, sounds like you may have a bad ground from your spill, most likely on the side the bike fell on. It is possible the bulb on that side is hunting a ground through the bulb on the other side causing the two bulbs to operate as if wired in series. Same effect as applying 6 volts to a 12 volt bulb.

Hopefully someone else such as Fred, TWBrian or GaryL will chime in who are far more familiar and can tell you where to pinpoint the ground location if that is the problem.

Since your problem seems to be intermittent, I would say you are not completely out and may just need to top off the blinker fluid. However, it is my understanding that only the models sold in Greece have such fluid and is easily obtainable as it runs freely through the aquaducts. Their blinkers have a more fluid, or graceful flash if you will, and come on and go off, come on and go off. Whereas ours are just on-off-on-off-on-off!
Idk how I never noticed the back ones don’t run constantly like the front... thanks for the heads up.

I went to auto zone and asked where the blinker fluid is, they told me to get out. Idk what I did wrong ? customer service is truly a rarity these days...

#6 ·
The stock rear turn signal housings have only single element 1156 bulbs for turn signal function only. Footwear Electronic device

The stock front turns signal housings have twin element 1157 bulbs for both flashing turn signals and always-on running lights. White Light bulb Lighting Incandescent light bulb Light

It is conceivable that the spill dislodged one of the 1157 bulbs slightly from its socket creating the reported symptoms. Removing and re-installing the 1157s might restore correct contacts between the ground and two filaments. Since the bulb is restrained by only mild spring pressure it is possible to get knocked out of position.

#7 ·
The stock rear turn signal housings have only single element 1156 bulbs for turn signal function only. View attachment 199780

The stock front turns signal housings have twin element 1157 bulbs for both flashing turn signals and always-on running lights. View attachment 199782

It is conceivable that the spill dislodged one of the 1157 bulbs slightly from its socket creating the reported symptoms. Removing and re-installing the 1157s might restore correct contacts between the ground and two filaments. Since the bulb is restrained by only mild spring pressure it is possible to get knocked out of position.
Thanks!! I’ll give that a try

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.