TW200 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have to admit, I like the challenge that a little bike poses on a big journey. I think a TW would make a fine Rocinante compared to the BMW Bucephalus that are more common. There is a great thread on ADVrider called the "minimalist touring thread" you may be interested in. A fairly stock TW, a backpack strapped to the seat and rack, and some way to extend the fuel range seems like a fine way to travel Mexico, Central America, and much of Northern South America. I would desire a bigger bike for Argentina, because it is flat and windy, not unlike Alberta or Saskatchewan, but that is all part of the compromise, isn't it?
Keep it about the trip, not the gear.
Intoxicatingly put. Very excited about those compromises. Gear materialism is my greatest sin.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Now that would be a journey for the books. I regularly take my bike out for 300+ mile trips and definitely agree that a upgraded seat and suspension would be a must (if you ever want your butt to have feeling again)... maybe find a sheepskin to toss on at some point as well. As far as extra lighting you should check out what this guy did
, I encounter deer all the time by me so have a side mounted LED pod that gives better range than a stock headlight, will try to post a photo when I get a chance. A trailer would definitely help with gear and allow you to carry extra fuel.

Reactions: Explorak

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've known folks to do a lot more with a lot less in SE Asia.
Once you see a Honda Wave125 hauling crates of fruit,live stock,and multiple adults; you realize, just about anything is possible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
UPDATE: I bought a 2018 with 2.5k miles and absolutely love it. Now on to the farkelization :)
I will report back once I've gotten everything (mostly) installed.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Cool. Did you trade in the KLR?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Cool. Did you trade in the KLR?
About to put it up for sale! Actually, I will have two of them up for grabs as my friend is doing the same thing (we’re still searching for a TW200 for her.) Very excited :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
788 Posts
Now you need to take that TW on a nice, long ride, to find out if your arse will be able to handle that stock saddle for a long trip.

Reactions: XVS650

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Now you need to take that TW on a nice, long ride, to find out if your arse will be able to handle that stock saddle for a long trip.
I got lucky! The one I bought came with a seat concepts seat. Though I may need so slide another layer of foam in there or get the taller version.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Background
I bought a KLR650 as my first bike, loaded it up, and moved down Baja and across mainland Mexico for six months. I am traveling indefinitely, ideally all the way to Argentina if the pandemic allows for it eventually, while working remotely from my laptop. The KLR was a great first bike to learn from and is totally capable of handling diverse terrains, including highways. But for my needs, the KLR is too fast, too heavy, and doesn’t support my prefered (very) slow travel style. I am willing to sacrifice the benefits that come with an Enduro — keeping up with highway speeds, better suspension, etc., for the benefits that come with a slower, lightweight motorcycle — slow travel on backroads and strolling through towns and forests in between major cities.

I would like to challenge myself with difficult terrains, not for the adrenaline rush but rather for the slow exploration of landscapes and its flora and fauna. In sum: I want less stimulation from a fast, heavy motorcycle and more focus on my surroundings. After a lot of comparative research across different light motorcycles, I keep returning to the TW200 as the ideal bike for my needs.

I am planning to live off the bike entirely (in minimal fashion) for the coming years — camping gear, water, work laptop, the works. My current setup was designed for the KLR along with two hard panniers, but with the two bikes’ equal 400 lbs capacity, I figure I can move to soft panniers while removing some excess items.

For anyone that has lugged around some weight on a TW200, is the playfulness gone?

Ideal riding style
- Lengthier days of 45-55mph peppered with stops to look at plants, maybe between 75-175 miles per day, but not for too many days in a row. Can it handle this style for ~20k miles over the course of let’s say in 1 year?

- Some days I’ll climb 6000’+ and then descend the same. Will a loaded bike have consequent power issues here with the high pressure variance? (What kind of jetting is recommended for touring in this manner?)

- Some windy days on vast flat planes, Mexico has many of these. How does the bike fair in high wind generally? I read here that there can be some pesky carb interference in high wind environments.

- Long off-road and off, off-road slow exploration, but not to test the bike’s limits or play around as much as simply to see interesting flora or find novel camp sites.

- Are there any specific manufacturing years to watch out for? (The 2008/2009 KLR, for example, is known to guzzle oil.)

Does this sound realistic, or do I need disillusioning? Would love to hear from people that have taken long trips on the mule.
I hope you do this trip on a T-dub...Best of luck!!!

Reactions: Explorak
41 - 49 of 49 Posts