TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amidst all the sad stories of murder, poor government performance, wether related disasters, etc a couple of nice stories have recently crossed my bow:

On her way to work this morning my wife saw cars ahead brake, honk then pull over. The drivers got out with some haste and converged.Fearing imminent road rage and possible need to duck flying bullets she paid close attention. Turns out the other drivers were simply herding 7 ducklings who got separated from momma duck safely across road to rejoin mom and other ducklings on sidewalk.

Sunday I was shown a picture of a note left on a single mother's dilapidated car that essentially said: " I saw you needed tires so I bought you some. Take this receipt to the tire store and talk to ...... and he will install them no charge. Somebody helped me once so I am helping you now. I just ask that you try to help someone else in the. future".

Guess there is still some good in the world.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Random acts of kindness. It is how we love one another. I do them all the time out of pure selfishness. The only joy I know is helping someone out of the blue, just because I can. As Dan Milman says, "There are no unselfish acts." I prefer anonymity, but will endure the thanks if I have to. As Dave Ramsey says, "Live like no other, so in the future you can live like no other."

·
Registered
186 Posts
I thought this was a nice story.:)

(NEWSER) – Someone who has made a lot of money in the San Francisco real estate market is giving some of it back — in $20 and $100 bills stuffed in envelopes hidden around the city.

All that's known about the anonymous millionaire, who uses the Twitter handle @HiddenCash: He's between 35 and 45, recently made $500,000 on a single deal, has some friends helping him with the money drops, and gave away $4,000 between Thursday night and Sunday.

He now has more than 52,000 followers, and every tip sparks what the San Francisco Chronicle calls a "social-scavenger hunt" in different districts of the city.

"I've made millions of dollars the last few years, more than I ever imagined, and yet many friends of mine, and people who work for me, cannot afford to buy a modest home in the Bay Area," the mystery donor explains to the Bold Italic. "This has caused me quite a bit of reflection. I am determined to give away some of the money I make, and in addition to charity, to do it in fun, creative ways like this."

He tells ABC News that he plans to keep up the money drops "indefinitely"—and he plans to expand the giveaway to New York City and Los Angeles soon. "I'm giving right now about a thousand a day. For me, that's definitely manageable."

Newser is a USA TODAY content partner providing general news, commentary and coverage from around the Web. Its content is produced independently of USA TODAY.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Love those stories and just did one myself this weekend!

GaryL

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I always thought there was something socially healthy about that old Boy Scout "do a good turn daily" thing. When I was young I had a coin, designed for the purpose, that you put in your left pocket and secretly transfered to your right pocket after you had accomplished a good turn for the day. The goal was 365 a year. Imagine the exponential expansion if that was more universal. I still try to do it, but I lost my coin long ago. Maybe I will just fetch me up another...I see they are still around in the second hand market.

View attachment 6719

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I always thought there was something socially healthy about that old Boy Scout "do a good turn daily" thing. When I was young I had a coin, designed for the purpose, that you put in your left pocket and secretly transfered to your right pocket after you had accomplished a good turn for the day. The goal was 365 a year. Imagine the exponential expansion if that was more universal. I still try to do it, but I lost my coin long ago. Maybe I will just fetch me up another...I see they are still around in the second hand market.

View attachment 6719
Find one for me too Borneo!

GaryL

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Speaking of back roads....heading out to do some Bridge Work{i.e. photograph the tw at some old area bridges}...wait, does that belong on the Upper Section :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well here is praise for all you unsung heroes and all the small things done to make the world a better place. Personally I think my Gardian Angel works overtime keeping me safe so I try to do good things as if they are deposits into my karmic ( darmic?) bank account whose balance may be getting low.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great read here! I'm happy to know there are others out there that enjoy giving randomly to those in need. Fred, funny you mention the ducks! I just helped a duck last week cross the road. I immediately pulled over, put hazards on and promptly hurried the little guy across. Traffic stopped and people smiled :) It made my morning!

I want to think that "paying it forward" is contagious. I once had a person at a gas station in front of me, give me their change after paying for their items. I didn't need it, so I added my change to it and passed it onto the person behind me. Kind of a neat string of events.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Why it's good for you. Why Helping Others Makes Us Happy - US News

And if you want to take a minute to think even deeper on it, as government continues to take over roles traditionally fulfilled by charities and volunteers...what exactly does that do to the well being of our citizens who all benefit (both givers and receivers) from volunteer behavior which is gradually being rendered obsolete by government involvement?

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good point Borneo. I fear government involvement gives the charities' recipients a sense of long term entitlement rather than appreciation for the kindness of others. Receiving charity helps materially but also affects the recipients sense of pride which hopefully causes them to wish to rise above need for charity. Receiving a government handout does not create the same sense of " Gee, I gotta improve my life somehow", instead it is more like " Great, gimme more".

·
Registered
258 Posts
My wife makes over $100,000 .00 year selling appliances ,she is usually the top or at least top 3 in Canada .Anyways ,when my wife first got the job ,she had a nice older women help her along and show her the ropes .A few years later ,that woman's husband lkicked her out of the house penniless ,after she worked and raised his children ,looked after them as her own and 10 years on his kids still stay with her instead of their real father .Anyway ,I have been a mechanic for many years ,and was fortunate enough to sell my heavy truck and trailer business and retire comfortably at 35 ,but I still enjoy buying and selling and generally fixing up stuff .I have personally bought that woman 3 cars in the past 7 years , and just about every time I see her ,she breaks down in tears because I helped her out ,telling me she could of never done that on her own .

A few weeks ago I saw an add for a yamaha ttr125 dirt bike $100.00 ,fresh rebuilt engine ,fresh painted frame ,some assembly required .It said it was worth about $1700 ,so I figured the guy wanted $1000 for it and it was a misprint so I didn't bother with it .Anyways ,the add was still up 6 or so days later ,so I called the guy .He answered ,but had the very worst studder I have ever heard ,and honestly it seemed like forever for him to tell me about the colours he painted the bike ,parts he used to rebuild the engine etc .I think people didn't take the time to listen to him and just hung up .Anyways ,he told me he is 30 ,and has 3 weeks to live .I asked the price and he did only want $100.00 for it .I picked it up ,he was rebuilding it in his kitchen over the winter ,He told me he has cancer on the bottom of his brain ,they can operate but the doctors give him zero chance ,so he was leaving the next day to ride his other dirt bike on his parents farm and enjoy his remaining days .I mentioned I planned on giving the bike to one of my neighbours children who don't have the money for a bike ,he called his mother right then and told her to give me his brand new ttr250 when he passes .I had given him$500.00 for his bike ,tightly rolled up so he didn't know until after I left .I will donate the 250 of course .He was a former combat engineer (I was an airborne ranger),2 tours in Afghanistan shrapnel in his arms from a roadside bomb .He has been working in the local mines since 2007 ,and he stopped me as I was leaving ,handed me a ping pong ball chunk of gold he brought home from work ,said he doesn't need it anymore he had lots .Iwill be brushing off my uniform for this kids funeral ,I haven't done that since I got out in 1989 .

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
A guy I worked with had a lady next door neighbor, not that old but alone because her husband had died and her kids moved far away and had little to do with her. Him and his wife looked out for her with stuff like getting her car fixed and mechanics and also any home repair issues where handymen had to get called in. They checked on her almost every day, picked up groceries and dog food once in a while and that type of stuff. Just friendly neighbors doing what is right.

They found her dead from a heart attack and had to call in the authorities and her two kids.

Fast forward about 9 months later with my buddy taking her dog and making sure the home she owned was getting watched and the lawn service was mowing and such, they got summoned to probate court for the reading of her will. She left them the house worth over $300K plus a big bunch of cash and her car in her will. They never knew she was very well off and just assumed she was getting by just from the way she lived and never imagined she had bank accounts all over from her husbands business and investments. Plenty for both of her kids and a big bunch for Paul and his wife who lived from pay check to pay check and never with enough unless he worked over time being on call all the time. Her kids never squawked at all and they still own the home and 12 acres of gorgeous property plus their much older and less valuable one on a building lot next door.

Good deeds are sometimes paid back in diamonds but even if not you still feel rich for having done them.

GaryL

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Not necessarily, Pass Man. I have little because I choose a simple life. I am blessed with enough, I can care for myself, and there really is nothing anyone can give me that would matter.

Anywho, I'm cleaning out the toy box and all my gear bought before coming down with cancer is now 2-3 sizes too big, so I gave it all away. Full sets of barely worn mesh and textile Olympia pants and jackets complete with liners, 2 Nelson-Rigg rain suits, assorted other individual pieces. I hope nobody ever actually NEEDS any of that stuff.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts