TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
2023 TW200
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking here for a couple of months patiently waiting to join in the fun. I just got a call from my local Yamaha dealer and my '23 TW is going to be ready for me to pick up tomorrow! Just in time to get in some good fall riding here in southern Idaho. I'll post some pics when I get my hands on her 馃榿

Premium Member
Been lurking here for a couple of months patiently waiting to join in the fun. I just got a call from my local Yamaha dealer and my '23 TW is going to be ready for me to pick up tomorrow! Just in time to get in some good fall riding here in southern Idaho. I'll post some pics when I get my hands on her 馃榿
Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Super Moderator
Plant Plant community Sky Tire Natural environment

Registered
Welcome aboard, Brother!

Registered
Congrats on your joining the Tdub club.
Get in touch with us if you want to do some rides together.

Registered
1989 TW200
Post pictures! Welcome.

Now the first question: "what will be my first mod?" And that depends on the type of riding you want to do. If you are staying just on the street, you wont need to do anything. But if you want to go off road, a beefy skid plate or rear rack is pretty much a "non-destructive" and reversible mod. Hand guards, not so much.

Hint - Search for my thread "Show us your dash" for some ideas for dash add-ons.

Peace.
Out.

Registered
2023 TW200
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I picked up the bike today and rode around the neighborhood a bit. It was my first ride on a TW200. What a fun bike! I can't wait to get it out on the trail.

I'm thinking I'll keep it stock for the rest of the season and do a few upgrades over the winter. Probably do the basics. Clearly the skid plate has to go. Some hand guards would be nice too. I'd eventually like to camp with this bike so a rack will need to happen at some point.

What is the consensus on the break in period? I think I read 600 miles for the initial break in - "avoid prolonged operation above 1/3 throttle".. that'll be hard to live up to. 600 miles is probably at least a full season for me

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Plant

Speedometer Trip computer Gauge Tachometer Odometer

Registered
There is a school of thought that says first 20 miles or so it is important to run a new engine hard enough that OEM cylinder cross hatching has a chance to properly hone the ring-to-cylinder fit before cross-hatching gets worn away. By time manufacture's engineering concerns get filtered through Marketing and Legal one gets a milt-toast dummied down simplified break in recommendations that seem to address limiting Yamaha's warrantee liabilities more than long term customer satisfaction.
So manufacture's advice is simply "avoid prolonged operation above 1/3rd throttle" when intent behind advice is really to avoid over-heating a new motor and to avoid use of a constant throttle position. I believe one should certainly run up the rpms through all the gears, just don't pin it wide-open throttle.
If I had adhered to idea of no throttle above 1/3rd I wouldn't be able to make it back up my driveway. Possibly reason behind so many lightly used TWs for sale with under 300 miles on odometer are that obedient owners riding gently decide bike is just no fun and sell it.

Registered
Thanks for the welcome. I picked up the bike today and rode around the neighborhood a bit. It was my first ride on a TW200. What a fun bike! I can't wait to get it out on the trail.

I'm thinking I'll keep it stock for the rest of the season and do a few upgrades over the winter. Probably do the basics. Clearly the skid plate has to go. Some hand guards would be nice too. I'd eventually like to camp with this bike so a rack will need to happen at some point.

What is the consensus on the break in period? I think I read 600 miles for the initial break in - "avoid prolonged operation above 1/3 throttle".. that'll be hard to live up to. 600 miles is probably at least a full season for me

View attachment 229955
View attachment 229956
View attachment 229954
BEEEEOUTIFUL!
That deserves to be parked in the middle of the living room!
Congrats, and enjoy!

Registered
2023 TW200
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
See if you can find a backroad route (out and back or a loop) with little or no traffic.
Only 10 runs get you your 600 miles. I would sometimes do it twice in one day.
That sounds like good advice. I was thinking I need to do more riding. Plenty of good spots nearby where I could put on some miles away from traffic.

There is a school of thought that says first 20 miles or so it is important to run a new engine hard enough that OEM cylinder cross hatching has a chance to properly hone the ring-to-cylinder fit before cross-hatching gets worn away. By time manufacture's engineering concerns get filtered through Marketing and Legal one gets a milt-toast dummied down simplified break in recommendations that seem to address limiting Yamaha's warrantee liabilities more than long term customer satisfaction.
So manufacture's advice is simply "avoid prolonged operation above 1/3rd throttle" when intent behind advice is really to avoid over-heating a new motor and to avoid use of a constant throttle position. I believe one should certainly run up the rpms through all the gears, just don't pin it wide-open throttle.
If I had adhered to idea of no throttle above 1/3rd I wouldn't be able to make it back up my driveway. Possibly reason behind so many lightly used TWs for sale with under 300 miles on odometer are that obedient owners riding gently decide bike is just no fun and sell it.
I agree. The break in advice seems like the legal team wrote it instead of the engineers. Seems like common sense goes a long way in these situations. No long 55mph runs or redlining it through the gears. That is not really the type of riding I bought this bike for so it should be fine

BEEEEOUTIFUL!
That deserves to be parked in the middle of the living room!
Congrats, and enjoy!
Thanks! I couldn't agree more. I stayed up way later than I should have just blankly staring at it. I need to get some dirt on it and while I'm not looking forward to it...that first inevitable scratch so I can take off the white gloves

Registered
Welcome to the forum JAdlam, and congrats on the fun bike purchase!!

General consensus regarding break-in is 600-1000 miles. Others have chimed in how-to, and you know the rest! Have at it, and have fun while at it! :cool:

Reactions: JAdlam

Registered
2023 TW200
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome to the forum JAdlam, and congrats on the fun bike purchase!!

General consensus regarding break-in is 600-1000 miles. Others have chimed in how-to, and you know the rest! Have at it, and have fun while at it! :cool:
Thanks! Happy to be here. I put about 30 miles on the bike after work today - about 50% of it on gravel and a couple local trails. This is definitely a step up for me from my Honda CT90s. I'm having a great time with it!

Registered

View attachment 229955
View attachment 229956
View attachment 229954
Love it. Congratulations on the purchase of a beautiful bike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts