TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey TI, I have a 2021 and would be interested in being a test platform for you as well. I am in Oregon. Would be interested in your skid plate, but I’ve heard they gather great amounts of sand and mud, and some are loud, it’s been mentioned. Would you offer one with some well-spaced holes or slots throughout?

Either way, nice website and am impressed with what you guys are up to making good stuff here in the USA. Patrick
We might be able to work something out for you sure. Feel free to email us and we can discuss some options for you. We did test 2 separate 2021s but we appreciate the offer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was taking a look at the website and the pictures of the skid plates you guys are making looks nice but i notice something you might want to consider changing. On the sides of the plate where the two front portions come up along where the clutch and the magneto are dont look like they come up quite far enough. If compared to the ricochet brand skidplate the "wings" on the front come up higher to protect the sides of the engine a little more. Just an observation you may want to look into.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I was taking a look at the website and the pictures of the skid plates you guys are making looks nice but i notice something you might want to consider changing. On the sides of the plate where the two front portions come up along where the clutch and the magneto are dont look like they come up quite far enough. If compared to the ricochet brand skidplate the "wings" on the front come up higher to protect the sides of the engine a little more. Just an observation you may want to look into.
So it might be the angle of the pictures but the main concern was keeping it nice and tight along the engine/frame. By kicking the wings out further there is interference with a riding boot. As far as side coverage goes it has been discussed and there may be a separate piece to bolt on in the future. The main reason we stayed away from it is 99% of impacts are front or bottom impact from rocks kicking up off the tire or going up and over an obstacle. If you’re upright and riding the sides of the case should not be hit by anything otherwise that means your legs are getting hit too. Side guards seem most important when dropping the bike so we’re looking at something similar to a slider on a crock rocket. Up and out of the way while you’re riding but protection for the sides of the case if you do happen to go down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So it might be the angle of the pictures but the main concern was keeping it nice and tight along the engine/frame. By kicking the wings out further there is interference with a riding boot. As far as side coverage goes it has been discussed and there may be a separate piece to bolt on in the future. The main reason we stayed away from it is 99% of impacts are front or bottom impact from rocks kicking up off the tire or going up and over an obstacle. If you’re upright and riding the sides of the case should not be hit by anything otherwise that means your legs are getting hit too. Side guards seem most important when dropping the bike so we’re looking at something similar to a slider on a crock rocket. Up and out of the way while you’re riding but protection for the sides of the case if you do happen to go down.
You can see here the entire front face is covered without interfering with your riding boot

·
Registered
396 Posts
Honestly the side wings that come up a little further on the ricochet are great because they block rocks kicked up from hitting the sides of the case and if youre going through something tight like a rocky rut, you scrape the sides of the skid plate and not the engine cases. Also, there used to be a company, the name escapes me but they made a skid plate with these wicked looking bolt on tubular side guards that bolted onto the skid plate and people pay big money for those things nowadays because theyve since stopped making them. If you want to set yourselves apart from ricochet who would be your main competitors for skid plates then thats your ticket. If you decide to give that a try btw ill totally let you guys ship me one for free so i can test it out for you haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Honestly the side wings that come up a little further on the ricochet are great because they block rocks kicked up from hitting the sides of the case and if youre going through something tight like a rocky rut, you scrape the sides of the skid plate and not the engine cases. Also, there used to be a company, the name escapes me but they made a skid plate with these wicked looking bolt on tubular side guards that bolted onto the skid plate and people pay big money for those things nowadays because theyve since stopped making them. If you want to set yourselves apart from ricochet who would be your main competitors for skid plates then thats your ticket. If you decide to give that a try btw ill totally let you guys ship me one for free so i can test it out for you haha
TCI was that company. And it’s not a no it’s just a not at this time. Simple, effective, and price point are what we are focusing on to start. If we manufactured overseas we could possibly squeeze tubes in at the same price point but we are manufacturing right here in the states with no plans to change that anytime soon. We’re looking at the TW reading this forum and seeing what people are looking for and trying to build products that are very affordable and do what they need to. We’re coming in at a lower price than our current competitor with powder coat as an option as well as anodizing. And sorry no freebies on this one. Prototypes have been tested and ridden plenty of miles we’re confident our design offers plenty of protection and people will be pleased with a quality product. Thank you for the input we’re taking it all in from everyone here and we can always make changes in the future if demand changes

·
Registered
237 Posts
I noticed some people had concern with the legal issues of having the turn signals being integrated into the taillight.. This issue can be bypassed by adding an auxiliary set of turn signals. I had this identical taillight and license plate bracket on my KLR and I used some flush-mount aux turn signals that stick right onto the rear fender. They have the added benefit of adding signal visibility to the sides of the bike, and from higher viewpoints.

Here is an example set. I just piggybacked them right on to the normal signal wires with splice connectors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I noticed some people had concern with the legal issues of having the turn signals being integrated into the taillight.. This issue can be bypassed by adding an auxiliary set of turn signals. I had this identical taillight and license plate bracket on my KLR and I used some flush-mount aux turn signals that stick right onto the rear fender. They have the added benefit of adding signal visibility to the sides of the bike, and from higher viewpoints.

Here is an example set. I just piggybacked them right on to the normal signal wires with splice connectors.
Still illegal in CA but yes many options to move away from the integrated brake/tail/blinker light assembly. I did the same thing with different lights.

·
Registered
550 Posts
TCI was that company. And it’s not a no it’s just a not at this time. Simple, effective, and price point are what we are focusing on to start. If we manufactured overseas we could possibly squeeze tubes in at the same price point but we are manufacturing right here in the states with no plans to change that anytime soon. We’re looking at the TW reading this forum and seeing what people are looking for and trying to build products that are very affordable and do what they need to. We’re coming in at a lower price than our current competitor with powder coat as an option as well as anodizing. And sorry no freebies on this one. Prototypes have been tested and ridden plenty of miles we’re confident our design offers plenty of protection and people will be pleased with a quality product. Thank you for the input we’re taking it all in from everyone here and we can always make changes in the future if demand changes

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
344 Posts
Braaap.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Here is the same light on ebay for $18 plus free shipping...

I’ve had my TW 200 for a few weeks and it came with a fender eliminator kit, I don’t know the manufacturer, but it seems to be of high-quality.

One thing I didn’t like was that the license plate acts as mud flap. Up here in Ontario, Canada we can keep the same license plates if we buy a new bike, so I want my plates to be in kept in good condition.

I didn’t like the license plate dangling down unprotected. So purchased an inexpensive automotive splashguard. I trimmed it to size and drilled two holes. Tamper-proof mounting hardware from Walmart.

BE2BA3BE-AA5A-4692-B9D9-510509741D84.jpeg

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
These skid plates can take a beating when sinking down into rocky Sierra trails made by more conventional 21 and 19 inch wheeled MX based bikes.
My Ricochet has many scrapes, 2 welds are cracked and front gets sanded from stones tossed up by front tire. Riding Buddy Adam-in-Nevada actually bent his Ricochet.
TW industries’ skid plate looks just as good and strong for the long haul.
With anodized surface trail side “incidents” will show better as badges of courage.😎

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey Fred, do you mean "Tach Industries" skid plate? I'm trying to decide between the Richochet and the Tach Industries skid plates. Both look robust and are made in the USA. Which one do you think looks sturdier? Also, I was going to drill some one-inch holes around the surface to expel mud and sand that I hear accumulates in these things. Do you think that's a good idea? Some have said doing so may even make the skid plate quieter. Thanks man! Patrick

·
Registered
633 Posts
I thought about drilling holes in my ricochet when I installed it, and then I thought that mud and water can just as easily go in the holes as out of them. So I didn't. I sprayed mine with several coats of truck liner on the engine side. It may have made a whit of difference, but only in frequency; not in SPL.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts