TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 69 years old and always fit and active - 4 years ago I started getting stiff and full body muscle pain...then I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2015. Both my doctor and my wife want me off the bike and into a vehicle to do my back country exploring.

I do hurt more after a couple of hours ride but they are concerned if I crash having a really stiff body is that a minor crash could become a major injury.

I have been dirt riding for 57 years and this is a really hard decision...also my jet ski is on the list to give up.

Anyone else been through having to give up for health reasons.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Sorry to hear about the health condition. Plumbstraight is currently in a similar situation with blood thinners. I wouldn't ride in this case until off the blood thinners. Sometimes giving into the pain puts you in worse condition. If you feel good enough to ride I would keep doing so but just find a buddy to take along and make them aware of your health condition. The riding is good exercise and you don't have to go fast to have fun. This would ease your wife's concern. She might ride a Tdub, let her try. You could buy another, take it slow and enjoy them together.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken - I think the concern is the my body no longer bends and while a small tweak to a normal rider could result in a torn tendon or worse for me. My wife would be the last person you would want on a bike - years back bought her a Honda Trail 110 ...she lasted about 15 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Love it!! I Agree!! :p
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming " Holy Shit, what a ride."

Reactions: scotti158 and Ken

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I feel for you and have similar issues. Just turned 65 but gave up ridding last year because of arthritis that mostly affects old injuries. I certainly can still ride but a half hour of seat time equates to a couple days of pain in my knees, hands and lower back. Just not worth it and not much fun any more. Now I just buy, fix up and sell TWs when ever I find a decent one at a decent price that is worth the effort. Even that is getting harder on the bones with all the up and down and bending over. What we all have to remember is that staying active is the best medicine as we age. I fish the streams and rivers and kayak on the lakes while fishing just so I do keep moving. Rainy days or too many in a row and I start really feeling old because I was house bound and sitting on my rear. I always feel much better after doing some kind of outdoor activity and what hurt when I started does not hurt afterwards.

I say ride for as long as you can as long as it does not cripple you for days after. Spend some cash on good protective gear and wear it when you do go out. Over the knee shin guards have saved me a lot of pain and a good padded jacket is worth its weight in gold IMO. I love the TWs because they fit us older fellows and don't mind going slow and easy like us.

GaryL

Reactions: Ken and Mel
1 - 8 of 8 Posts