TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I'm 72, live in Painted Post NY and have been riding for over 40 years (Trials, Enduro and Road), mostly road for the last 20 years. Bought a 1989 TW200 with less than 3000 miles Sat. I love it so far but it does have a loud whine in the final drive (sound changes with the speed of bike, not engine speed]. It kind of sounds like straight cut gears. I adjusted the chain to the proper setting (1 notch) but that didn't seem to help much. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks - Matt Donovan

If the picture shows up I'm grabbing a couple beers. I removed the luggage but kind of like the windshield.

IMG_2493.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I too have a noise pretty sure it's tires.
scotti 158 it's old bias ply tires. I knew when there was a change in air pressure :). And mine weren't mud tires.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
They just about sing to you. The hum and whine gets louder the faster you go. I changed my 87's tires right away. It was the first thing I did on my bike. They looked new, still had nubs on them at 1400 original miles on them, but they were 25 years old. Replace them if they are original.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Mine are worse at 55 than 60. But still horrible, I have tinnitus and I just end up gritting my teeth, making my TMJ kick in to. Should get my new tires on next week. Or hopefully sooner.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I'm just guessing ( WAG) , are you certain it is coming from the rear sir ? ,if your sure , is there lateral play in the rear wheel ( bearing?) . Is the chain slider trashed ( sit's above the swingarm pivot) ?. If your thinking it may be coming from the front ,perhaps the speedometer cable needs lubed/....again , just a guess (s). The other rider's are probably accurate on the mentioned tire's.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tires are 25 years old. I'll run it on a dirt road to see if the sound changes. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The tires are 25 years old. I'll run it on a dirt road to see if the sound changes. Thanks for the help.
I am going to go with Tire noise then. Judging by the picture that Bike must of been garaged kept the whole time then. Because those tires are in amazing shape and are not rotted. Someone once suggested to me to go to an empty parking lot and lay some carpet or some noise absorbing material down and get to speed were the noise happens then go over the material. if its the speedo cable it should still be making that noise but if its the tires you will hear a change in it. Guess grass or softer surface would work too.
If all else fails maybe you need to look into lubing up your axle rod bolts. They may have dried up and could be causing heat friction.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a spot where the pavement turns to dirt and the noise mostly went away. Time for new tires. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put a Shinco 244 on the front and most of the noise went away. Also got rid of the front wheel hop.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put a Bridgestone T-34 on the back today and the bike is now as quiet as a rat peeing on cotton. Hint - seat the bead outside, not in a mini barn like I did. Thought the tube popped by the sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts