TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like it took forever but it's only been a month and a half.
It all began when Bucknutz took me fishing, IN MY BOAT and got me hooked.:eek:

I found a real nice ' 91 T Dub with 675 miles on it and in great condition, I call it the "Garage Queen"! Untouched, never abused and bone stock.

It ran but not real well because of carb issues.

Thanks to this forum, OR NOT, I began with my little project. Dial it in for the way I plan to enjoy it.

I cleaned the carb, no change , rebuilt the carb with all new OEM parts and still ran for $hit and finally bought a new carb and now it is running perfect. I also fabricated my own pilot screw adjuster so I don't get my fingers burnt.

I also did all my mods that make it my bike.

12 Volt power outlet for GPS, quick release seat bolts, wide foot pegs, Jimbo dark shield, Coleman seat pad, Givi tank bag, Moose hand guards, Lizrdbrth Oil Cooler, soft grips, Cycle racks rear rack and a quick release crate mount so I can take my Brittany and some fishing gear with a cooler. I did 60 miles today with some nice dirt in the middle and I am stoked. Tough to find this kind of fun at 61 and for a bike that is almost 23 years old she sure is looking like a 23 year old!:icon_biggrin:

I can run now with the confidence of my new, old T dub and with no worries.

Come and ride with me and Bucknutz here in the NY Catskills.

GaryL

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Hey Gary,

Glad to hear that your bike is back in business, and it looks great!

That pilot screw adjuster sure looks handy.

How did you mount your 12V outlet to your indicator light housing? I just picked one up from Cycle Gear and was trying to figure out how best to mount it. Your installation looks real clean.

Now go out and enjoy your bike,

Brian

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Gary,

Glad to hear that your bike is back in business, and it looks great!

That pilot screw adjuster sure looks handy.

How did you mount your 12V outlet to your indicator light housing? I just picked one up from Cycle Gear and was trying to figure out how best to mount it. Your installation looks real clean.

Now go out and enjoy your bike,

Brian
JB Weld two part epoxy. Rough up both parts first.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Really Nice. Particularly like the look of the Moose Hand Guards... I am curious, does the extra use of the battery with your 12volt adapter detract any from the actual battery? Was thinking of adding a GPS to mine when i pick her up but was uncertain if it would just be too much for the system given that its a 1990 and I have read on this forum the light bulbs are less wattage, etc... noob question probably but alas, don't want to do anything to my T-Dub that will affect it negatively. Again, great looking bike.

EDIT: P.S. Where do you buy that seat cover and Mosse Hand Guards? Looks really comfortable and nice...

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Nice! That is a nice clean example of an early TW made even better by the mods you've added. I especially like the utility you're getting with your modified milk crates and mount. Fishing gear and the dog, now that's what I'm talking about. Beautiful fish. I certainly wouldn't mind coming out and riding with you guys in the Catskills, as soon as I get the flux capacitor hooked up to my TW. Now, let's see how fast was it I have to get the TW to activate that?:D

·
Registered
503 Posts
making the bike 'your own', price-less. Riding the bike with all you need onboard, price-less'r . Riding to a place the puts a big dopey grin on your face...price-less'est? Thanks for the pics GaryL, TIM

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wow! Nice find. Incredible for a 22 year old bike, it looks like it rolled out the dealers door yesterday.

Great mods on it too - I wish I could mod mine out all at once. I really like the split milk crate dog carrier. :) Where did you get your 12v outlet?

The carb may still be savable - it sounds like some of the interior passages may still be clogged. I've read about disassembling clogged carbs and soaking them in Pine Sol for a good while, don't remember where, but many had good results. If it worked you'd have a spare carb for just in case.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
... I am curious, does the extra use of the battery with your 12volt adapter detract any from the actual battery? Was thinking of adding a GPS to mine when i pick her up but was uncertain if it would just be too much for the system given that its a 1990 and I have read on this forum the light bulbs are less wattage, etc...
If all you are going to use the 12V adaptor for is a GPS, you won't have any problem...the draw is very small......an electric vest is another story!:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Really Nice. Particularly like the look of the Moose Hand Guards... I am curious, does the extra use of the battery with your 12volt adapter detract any from the actual battery? Was thinking of adding a GPS to mine when i pick her up but was uncertain if it would just be too much for the system given that its a 1990 and I have read on this forum the light bulbs are less wattage, etc... noob question probably but alas, don't want to do anything to my T-Dub that will affect it negatively. Again, great looking bike.

EDIT: P.S. Where do you buy that seat cover and Mosse Hand Guards? Looks really comfortable and nice...
I just bought the Coleman ATV cover from Amazon.com. It was about $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
For my quick release seat I used the method shown in the Mule Nut thread, Hitch pin with a clevis. I cut a couple 6 MM bolts and left enough thread so I could drill a hole and after the seat is in place I insert the clevis pins. I find the seat does not move and the clevis pins hold it just fine. The 12 Volt accessory plug came from the shelf at Advanced auto and is wired direct to the battery. I also have a pig tail for plugging in my battery tender and this is where I plug the 12 volt outlet in. I plan to use it for a very tiny air compressor so I can air up or down when I go off road. Going direct to the battery leaves the bikes electrical system out of the loop. The seat cushion came from Walmart and is marketed by both Sterns and Coleman at around $20. It is better than the stock seat but still not great. I plan to try the Airhawk Small Pillion air cushion next because I really do hate the seat after 40 or more miles.

I do have to work on some additional weight up front, something like a couple of tool tubes or a rack above the light I can carry extra fuel in. Cycle rack needs to make a front rack that will not block the head light when loaded. When I load the rear rack with my gear and the dog the front end gets a bit too light for off road and I might even load the handle bars with lead shot to add the weight and lessen the vibration. It could just be my wrists and carpal tunnel but after a good distance my fingers start going numb and I already have the cushiest grips I could find.

I don't have a clue what the hell is going on inside the original carb. I just spent almost $120 on all new internal parts and I left the stripped carb body in an ultrasonic cleaner for 4 cycles and poked every orifice with tiny wires to make sure they were not blocked. I just could not get it to tune right and when I gave up and installed the brand new carb right out of the box the bike purrs like a kitten. The old carb has all brand new OEM parts inside and I just can't figure it out.

I also changed the rear sprocket to 47T and still have the almost new 50T. For my use the 47 is working fine. I can hit 70 MPH on a dead flat and even going up mountains I don't find it a problem as long as I have the bike up to speed when I start the climb. She seems to be very happy at 50-55 and that is right where I like to be if I have to be running at speed in traffic.

Seat quick release, the pins are tied together with a wire fishing leader.

GaryL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts