TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Happy to report after a couple of months on the hunt, I finally found the one!

Just got home from a 7 hour round trip drive picking up a minty 1999 TW-200. Only has 799 Miles, and spent an easy life as a garage queen. Fortunately she was only run with ethanol free gas, and had a recent tune up prior to the sale. Really stoked to have found a nice survivor bike with the kickstarter (and the awesome 90's graphics!). Even though I'm missing out on the disk brake, I knew the kicker was a definite feature I would want to have.

Its completely stock, except for the chain and sprockets which the previous owner swapped out to gear it down for trail/ hunting use. He said it tops out around 55mph as is. Also included the stock chain/ sprocket. I'm going to ride it as is for now and decide later if I want to revert it to stock gearing.

I am very excited to her out for her first proper ride tomorrow.

A couple of quick beginner questions:

I tried to back out the screw on top of the head to verify oil was flowing properly. It wasn't budging and I didn't want to strip it out. Any secrets to getting it free? I'm thinking maybe spray it down with some penetrating oil. Looked like it may have been a while since it was ever backed off.

Its still wrapped in the factory Trail Wing (Death Wing?) tires. I have read the posts about these being sketchy. This bike will likely spend 90% of its time on the pavement, so will the death wings be ok for now or should I plan on replacing them ASAP.?

The idle also seems a bit high... but I am new to these bikes so I could be wrong. Do any of you run digital tachometers? If so is there one you might recommend?

Best website to order parts like oil filters, o rings, seals, etc...?

Anyways, on to the pictures!:

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
The tires are nearly 20 years old and should be replaced ASAP. If your TW will be used 90% on pavement I would recommend a gearing change sooner than later. First gear in you current configuration is going to be all but useless on pavement. Swap that 55 for a 47 and be done with it. My guess is that you could sell your 55 tooth on here for $15 bucks or so. I am only offering these suggestions based on your best guesses for it's intended use. I hope this helps. Nice find. Enjoy.

Tom

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! That's a really nice one, I like that color scheme.

I wouldn't worry about the bleed bolt too much right now. There is a good chance that it is still factory tightened. Did the previous owner mention whether he had changed the oil recently, or at all? Before trying to force it, I'd suggest taking it for short ride of about 10 minutes, which should be long enough to get the aluminum head heated up, but not to full operating temperature and then see if you can get that bolt to crack free. Use a short six-sided closed end wrench, not a screwdriver.

Likewise for the tires. You should be fine for some sensible road riding, but that rubber is almost 20 years old and is probably pretty hard. Once you decide for sure the type of riding that you want to do, then you should consider some new rubber that will best meet those needs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just like mine. Except mine is missing the Electric sticker. The tires are probably cured out pretty good and should be replaced. I'm running a 241 on the front of mine.
Thats what I was thinking. I will read up on some tire threads and get them swapped out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tires are nearly 20 years old and should be replaced ASAP. If your TW will be used 90% on pavement I would recommend a gearing change sooner than later. First gear in you current configuration is going to be all but useless on pavement. Swap that 55 for a 47 and be done with it. My guess is that you could sell your 55 tooth on here for $15 bucks or so. I am only offering these suggestions based on your best guesses for it's intended use. I hope this helps. Nice find. Enjoy.

Tom
Yep, new tires are definitely on my short list. And as for the gearing I agree. I think I would be willing to sacrifice the low end torque for higher cruising speeds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the new bike! That's a really nice one, I like that color scheme.

I wouldn't worry about the bleed bolt too much right now. There is a good chance that it is still factory tightened. Did the previous owner mention whether he had changed the oil recently, or at all? Before trying to force it, I'd suggest taking it for short ride of about 10 minutes, which should be long enough to get the aluminum head heated up, but not to full operating temperature and then see if you can get that bolt to crack free. Use a short six-sided closed end wrench, not a screwdriver.

Likewise for the tires. You should be fine for some sensible road riding, but that rubber is almost 20 years old and is probably pretty hard. Once you decide for sure the type of riding that you want to do, then you should consider some new rubber that will best meet those needs.
Thanks for mentioning using a wrench on that screw... in all my excitement I hadnt even realized that it could be loosened with two types of tools...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought of another strange thing about this bike. It came with 2 titles. 1 is for the license plates (thus making it street legal) The other title is with regard to the Off Highway use Green sticker (California).

Does that sound right? The PO told me that it needed the green stickers for off road trail use... but my understanding has always been that a street legal bike with plates is always allowed off highway- thus not needing the green sticker.

Any other California guys here able to clear that one up for me?

-Christian

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Thought of another strange thing about this bike. It came with 2 titles. 1 is for the license plates (thus making it street legal) The other title is with regard to the Off Highway use Green sticker (California).

Does that sound right? The PO told me that it needed the green stickers for off road trail use... but my understanding has always been that a street legal bike with plates is always allowed off highway- thus not needing the green sticker.

Any other California guys here able to clear that one up for me?

-Christian
Hi Christian,

The two titles are what is called dual registration here is California. It is typically used when you take an off-road vehicle and get it plated for street use, then the DMV requires that you maintain both the off-road and on-road registration, i.e., more revenue for the state.

The previous owner is wrong. Since the TW is sold as a street legal bike, it does not need a green sticker to be used off-road.

Here is what I have done in the past and would suggest that you do also. When you go to transfer the titles, renew the registration for the street legal one, but put the off-road one on non-operation. This non-op status will cost about $20, but does not require annual renewals.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
There are two types of tires you need to look at – the Bridgestone 203/204 combination for road use – and the Bridgestone TW34 rear and Shinko 241 front for trail use – what you need to avoid is mixing both combinations

There is the possibility of using the 203/204 combo on the trail, but only for “light” use – but they are excellent for road work

The TW34/241 combo is fine on the road, but excel on the trail, where a lower pressure can be used

The term “Death Wing” only applies to the stock front knobbly tire – there is nothing wrong with the stock rear tire which is held in high regard

The above is a greatly simplified view of the possible tire combinations available, so at this point, it’s up to you to do some reading up on the subject, and to ask any pertinent questions

Nice bike by the way

Welcome to the board ……

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome and Congrats on the new ride....she looks pretty sweet indeed. It would seem like you've al;ready received plenty of good info and tips on the bike so after a couple of new parts you can get out and enjoy it!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Looks very clean! Nice find. I agree with all that the tires are way old and have a higher chance of failure and you will want to bring it back to stock 14 front/50 rear or 15/50 or 14/47 to make it a little more long legged for 90% road use.
Congrats

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice and compliments fellas!

Got the title transfer completed today (AAA is awesome... in and out in 15 minutes) and got her added to my insurance policy.

Looks to me like the chain is a bit slack (measured it it is just slightly out of tolerance) and lookin dry and dirty, so I am going to hold off on a real road ride until I get that addressed later this week. Time to order up some chain cleaner/ lube!

Also managed to loosen up the top end oil galley screw (10mm socket worked great!), and verified that oil is indeed pumping to the top end!

Lastly, removed the plastics and discovered the factory tool kit was damp inside. Must have been from being washed at some point and some of the tools had a bit of nasty brown goop and corrosion on them. So I cleaned them up good, dried em off and all is well now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice!! That looks good for a '99!!

Road trip buys are some of the best! Mine was just a wee bit over 7 hours! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did some further reading and it seems like getting an O-ring chain is also a pretty popular upgrade. Any recommendations on one? I am also planning on reverting to the stock sprockets as right now it is geared low per the previous owner...

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Did some further reading and it seems like getting an O-ring chain is also a pretty popular upgrade. Any recommendations on one? I am also planning on reverting to the stock sprockets as right now it is geared low per the previous owner...
This is the one that I use. It will have to be shortened to the stock length of 122 links if you want use the stock sprockets of 14 front and 50 rear.

KMC O-Ring Chain 428UO x 132L

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks awesome and love the colours.

How was the first ride?
Thanks!

Spent yesterday afternoon cleaning/ oiling up the chain, and afterwards rewarded myself with a proper ride. Put about 20 miles on it cruising the neighborhood and exploring the closed naval air station near my house. It rides great and feels plenty powerful! (but then again thats coming from a CT90 rider lol)

It is definitely geared down way too low though. The 55 tooth rear sprocket means the engine was singing loud at around 30mph in 5th gear! I am planning on reverting to the stock 50 tooth ASAP.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts