TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling my TW I've been on the hunt for her replacement. Knew what I wanted as I've had just about everything else. So instead of trying to make or modify a TW into something that it's not. I took a different route.

Just picked up a 2017 DRZ400 SM. Better suspension by far and a ton more power and torque. Being a SM it has the big fat tires like on the TW. Light weight and it's not really and taller then my TW was. All I need to do is order some Shinko 244's and I'm trail ready. Build a rack to haul my chainsaw and tools. Heck it even matched the old TW with the white and purple.

Heck it was even cheaper then most TW's I've seen lately. By the time the tires, folding mirrors and hand guards are added will still be under 4K. They even make a bolt on 3.9 gallon tank for it.

Had a ball sliding it around the field in the grass with those road tires. Hanging the rear end out around the corners. Had it out in the woods and had no problem running the old TW trails. Definitely needs tires before I hurt myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
Now that's a Zook I can dig!

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
339 Posts
Are you going to keep the 17 SM rims and put knobbies on them? Coming from a TW, how do you find the seat height?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Damn that's a nice, clean SM! The DRZSM is an absolute weapon on the street. It's almost a shame that it's going to be a trail bike haha, but I dig it ;) I pretty much knew you were talking about a DRZSM as soon as I read the title haha. I have thought about doing an enduro build with that platform. It would be cool. Post pictures of the bike with dirt tires when it's done!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had one a couple years back. Even had it set up with those 244s. Awesome fun machine. But something about it just seemed to push me to do stupid things lol. It was a bike that was made for hooligans. And well it seems to beg to be ridden in that matter. I sold it for a $1000 profit after a year to preserve me license and life lol.

I have had many faster Sportier bikes but nothing that was as easy to slide around wheelie and over all just have a blast.

I miss that bike offten though I don’t regret selling it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suppose it's time for a update.
Went with Shinko 705's instead of the 244's. Had them on a Honda NC700x and loved how they would run in the corners on tar. Are awesome on the DRZ just have to be a little careful in mud.
Re jetted the carb and put a 38 tooth sprocket on the back. Still has great power and cruises at 60 really nice.
New tail light and blinker setup. Hand guards, skid plate, grips and low profile mirrors.
Built a custom rack for the back. A Rotopax can fits in it and still can strap a gear bag on top. Rack is set up for side rack expansion with nuts welded in place just have to get around to finishing it up.
Have no problem with the seat height. Heck I run a XR650L so the DRZ isn't an issue.
Love the bike. It's exactly what I was looking for after the TW. Does everything I ever did with the TW but can run the highway all day long. The power makes the bike SO much more fun. Enough power to actually play in the dirt and run with traffic without fear.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Crap.....I really like it, only 25 pounds heavier with all the xtra power etc.....

Prob kill myself if I got it lol, always use all my Dubs power....afraid I would with this also :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have you done the 3x3 mod?
My wife’s drz stock topped out at 75/80 and after cutting the air box and rejetting it will now cruise at those speeds.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No but I did back the fuel screw out to 2 3/4 turns and shimmed the needle one spacer and removed the snorkel. Made a BIG difference. Got that little trick off DR forum for cheap carb mod at sea level.

Mine will run a lot faster but low rpm cruising speed is why I changed gearing. Not looking for top end speed. Not going to run the bike at 10k all day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is the total package and a real looker too. Myself and so many others would have had this as the first preference except for the seat height. Those of us with real short inseams just have to pass as it's just too much bike to be tippy toeing. Even with the 17" wheels it still is 35" seat. How much does it compress when you sit on it? Is this the same specs as yours?

2020 Suzuki DR-Z400SM Specs

ENGINE
  • Type: Four-stroke single
  • Displacement: 398cc
  • Bore x stroke: 90.0 x 62.6 mm
  • Compression ratio: 11.3:1
  • Valvetrain: DOHC; 4 valves
  • Fueling: 36mm Mikuni BSR carburetor
  • Cooling: Liquid
  • Lubrication: Dry sump
  • Transmission: 5-speed constant mesh
  • Final drive: RK 520 KZO chain
CHASSIS
  • Front suspension; travel: Fully adjustable damping Showa inverted fork; 10.2 inches
  • Rear suspension: Linkage-assisted fully adjustable shock; 10.9 inches
  • Wheels: Wire spoke w/ aluminum Excel rims
  • Front wheel: 17 x 3.50
  • Rear wheel: 17 x 4.50
  • Tires: Dunlop Sportmax D208
  • Front tire: 120/70 x 17
  • Rear tire 140/70 x 17
  • Front brake: 300mm floating disc w/ 2-piston caliper
  • Rear brake: 240mm disc w/ single-piston caliper
DIMENSIONS AND CAPACITIES
  • Wheelbase: 57.5 inches
  • Rake: 26.2 degrees
  • Trail: 3.7 inches
  • Ground clearance: 10.2 inches
  • Seat height: 35.0 inches
  • Fuel tank capacity: 2.6 gallons
  • Curb weight: 321 pounds
COLORS

Kenny4

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure you can get a lowering link for those. I set the rear shock down some and it rides much better, not as harsh. Bent knees and flat foot on both sides. I'm only 5'11" 32 inch in seam. Bike is really narrow and wouldn't call it tall at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts