TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking forward to a complete report. Please include source and wiring connections. Also, please describe how quick the tach reacts. I have a digital tach, but it's slow reaction requires I hold an RPM for a few seconds to get a reading. If I blip the throttle, it doesn't see it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
thank you it’s awesome to be on here! So I didn’t take note of my exact wiring connections, but I will look at it tomorrow to get an exact schematic. As far as reaction time, it’s pretty instant. I tried posting a video but it wouldn’t allow me to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Absolutely, will do!
so here’s the link. Everything is working great, reaction time of the gauge is awesome. As far as longevity goes I will give you an update after I get some hours racked up on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im just glad to see the forum has softened their stance on tachs a bit more. The last time I posted about installing one it was like an angry pack of wolves on a three legged cat.

Nice setup, are you using a pickup coil? Or tapping the CDI wiring?
I tapped the signal wire and the ground directly to the ignition coil. The constant 12v and switched 12v I wired to the ignition wiring on the left side of the bike under the fuel tank. As far as accuracy goes I compared it to another cheap tach/Hour gauge I had and they were neck and neck although my new gauge is way more responsive. Oh and the dimming wire I put on a toggle switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tapped the signal wire and the ground directly to the ignition coil. The constant 12v and switched 12v I wired to the ignition wiring on the left side of the bike under the fuel tank. As far as accuracy goes I compared it to another cheap tach/Hour gauge I had and they were neck and neck although my new gauge is way more responsive. Oh and the dimming wire I put on a toggle switch.
Here is the switch for dimming
I remember that post
I like to have a tach myself ☺
My thread on adding a tach was flamed pretty hard as well
I don’t understand, why were members having a problem with the tach subject?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Glow Shift Tachometer Wiring

YELLOW: (12v constant Source)
Connect this wire to your ignition harness RED wire. This harness consists of 4 wires located on the left side of the bike under the fuel tank. (See picture for reference)

RED: (12v Ignition Source)
Connect this wire to the same ignition harness BROWN w/BLUE STRIPE wire. (See picture for reference)

ORANGE: (12v Headlamp source Optional dimming)
For my setup I ran this wire to the same BROWN w/BLUE stripe ignition wire with an inline switch so I could manually dim the wire. Reason for doing so is the headlight on this bike is a DRL and I didn’t want it dimmed at all times. There are other options such as photocells which I may do in the future. (See picture for reference)

GREEN: (Vehicle Tach. Source)
On the right side of the bike under the fuel tank is your ignition coil wiring. For this wire I ran to the negative side of the coil ORANGE wire. (See picture for reference)

BLACK: (Vehicle ground source)
Same ignition coil location. I ran this wire to the BLACK wire on the negative side of the coil. (See picture for reference)

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Can the light be turned off ? Does it hold perfectly steady at idle, and what rpms does it show?
At idle I’m at about 1000-1200 depending on my screw adjustment, and yes it holds very steady and is very responsive. It revs up to 9500. As far as the light goes, it does not turn off but it does dim 30% which I put on a toggle switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I notice the swing arc from zero to 9K rpm is 180 degrees. I wonder if this tach could be gutted and fit into a XT350 tach body? The lights would work; turn signal, high beam and neutral.
View attachment 226170

View attachment 226171
On the stock xt350 tach 11k rpm is at 180 degrees, so I’m not sure how that would work. Possibly find one that is at the same angle and reading and it could possibly work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts