TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
They weren't against them.....
They were just useless ..
A waste of money..,
Something else to get in the way or broken

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Yeah, why would you need a tach on a bulletproof and moderately gutless little ole man's bike anyway. I have a 100 HP Yamaha Royal Star and it doesn't need a tach, why would a TW200 need one?

PS... I have a tach for the TW and one for the VanVan. They sit there waiting for me to mount them but I am lazy.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I don’t understand, why were members having a problem with the tach subject?
Oh I'm exaggerating a good bit. My last post about it wasn't bad, I have seen some other posts (probably the one workingman was referring to) where some folks just assertively shared their dislike and lack of need for tachometers on a 200cc motorcycle.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion though :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Glow Shift Tachometer Wiring

YELLOW: (12v constant Source)
Connect this wire to your ignition harness RED wire. This harness consists of 4 wires located on the left side of the bike under the fuel tank. (See picture for reference)

RED: (12v Ignition Source)
Connect this wire to the same ignition harness BROWN w/BLUE STRIPE wire. (See picture for reference)

ORANGE: (12v Headlamp source Optional dimming)
For my setup I ran this wire to the same BROWN w/BLUE stripe ignition wire with an inline switch so I could manually dim the wire. Reason for doing so is the headlight on this bike is a DRL and I didn’t want it dimmed at all times. There are other options such as photocells which I may do in the future. (See picture for reference)

GREEN: (Vehicle Tach. Source)
On the right side of the bike under the fuel tank is your ignition coil wiring. For this wire I ran to the negative side of the coil ORANGE wire. (See picture for reference)

BLACK: (Vehicle ground source)
Same ignition coil location. I ran this wire to the BLACK wire on the negative side of the coil. (See picture for reference)

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos of the wiring, very helpful. If I decide to mount one I will be interested to see at what revs I am up-shifting. By the speedo with stock gearing I normally shift up at 5,15,25,35 mph more or less.
I see by your opening photo you have under 700 miles on your bike. Enjoy, these things are a amazing tiny blast to ride. I have a 500cc sport bike too, but the TW is the best hooligan fun one can legally have. Bought my 2016 in 2018 w/ 850 miles on it. Now I am about to turn over 10,000 trouble free, mostly off road, miles.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Plant community

My wife getting off to stretch during an all day 2-up desert excursion.

·
Registered
23,055 Posts
Nice tachometer, good contribution from a very new member (y)
With 7 display colors can't imagine anyone complaining unless they wanted brown lighting, as is can match most older TW color schemes. Make mine blue too. :giggle:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Can the light be turned off ? Does it hold perfectly steady at idle, and what rpms does it show?
At idle I’m at about 1000-1200 depending on my screw adjustment, and yes it holds very steady and is very responsive. It revs up to 9500. As far as the light goes, it does not turn off but it does dim 30% which I put on a toggle switch.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
At idle I’m at about 1000-1200 depending on my screw adjustment, and yes it holds very steady and is very responsive. It revs up to 9500. As far as the light goes, it does not turn off but it does dim 30% which I put on a toggle switch.
The light can be turned off if you add another switch to the mix. There's a 'black-out' version you can't see the display if the light is out too. However, it's my experience that lights go out and that would make the tach worthless in the black-out version. I want your version and I don't plan to hook up the light. I don't ride at night and even if I did, I wouldn't need a tach while doing so.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I have a tach that has yet to be hooked to a running bike. I have it in my head that I will not watch the tach any more than I watch any other guage.

I think, once I know what the engine is spinning at 40, 60, or 60 mph, I'll remember it just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I notice the swing arc from zero to 9K rpm is 180 degrees. I wonder if this tach could be gutted and fit into a XT350 tach body? The lights would work; turn signal, high beam and neutral.
View attachment 226170

View attachment 226171
On the stock xt350 tach 11k rpm is at 180 degrees, so I’m not sure how that would work. Possibly find one that is at the same angle and reading and it could possibly work.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts