TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long time lurker but finally joined the club after picking up this lightly used (1100 miles) 2017:

IMG_6510.JPG

Only mods are the huge racks (those are coming off), a 47 tooth rear and a tach. Deathwing in the front will go soon with many farkles to come after I get to know the bike a bit better.

I took a 4 year break from riding but always wanted a TW. Finding this site and watching TDubskid videos swayed me.

My mid-70s father in law rode with me to pick the bike up. He's been riding since he was 14 and gave up his Goldwing about the same time I took a break. The size was becoming intimidating and he wanted to focus on traveling and camping more. I give him a month before he has a TW as I couldn't get him off the thing when we got home. Wife (his only daughter) was not pleased with all the ride lines through our front yard when he was done... :evil6:

Thank you to all who make this site possible and all the contributors. It has been and will continue to be a wealth of information and I hope I'm able to contribute myself at some point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have those racks on mine. They are invaluable! The back one has held my lunch box since 2011 and the front one has an army ammo box mounted on it (with a lock) for my cellphone when I get to work, in a prison.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will buy the racks if you want to sell. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for the welcome. I'm going to hold onto the racks in anticipation of my father in law joining the club soon. They will serve his campground needs perfectly (I had to hear all about it on the ride home...)

I have those racks on mine. They are invaluable! The back one has held my lunch box since 2011 and the front one has an army ammo box mounted on it (with a lock) for my cellphone when I get to work, in a prison.
I totally appreciate their functionality. Just not what I need for my use but look forward to recycling per the above. What racks are they?

Congrats on getting aboard with the rest of us Dubbers!
Thank you for the welcome.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
He copied the CycleRacks! Nice job, too. Magnifying the front rack shows welding that CycleRack wouldn't let out the door.....not that they aren't just as strong.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A brief update as I've been working on my 17 since purchase. I was about to jump in with both feet and buy (functional and bling mods) and do everything at once. How I normally roll with bike projects but actually caught myself this time around and decided to focus on functional updates while doing the work incrementally so I could best evaluate the updates. Good plan because I learned some things...

First update to happen was to remove the racks as they are overkill for how I intend to use the TW. I then removed the passenger pegs as that's not happening. From there, I've made the following mods/services:

Protaper risers, Pastrana FMX bars with pillow top grips - huge improvement over stock and didn't require lengthening of any lines. I did do some re-routing behind the headlight to make things work better. I probably got a 1 3/4" - 2" lift with this setup. Likely not high enough for those that spend most of the time on the pegs.

IMS pegs and shifter - much better for me with size 11/45 feet.

HDB handguards with integrated mirrors - damn, these things are burly and well made. And the mirrors are usable. Having used other handguards with so called integrated mirrors, there is no comparison as the HDBs are in a league of their own. Very pleased with this purchase and setup with excellent service from the vendor.

Shinko 241 front tire - enough has been said about this upgrade but my personal experience is it's a huge upgrade on both the road and dirt. Most of my offroad riding is on gravel roads and this is a marked improvement that has allowed me to increase my speed off road with confidence.

Manrack rear rack - this is a well made product that I decided on based on reviews and mounting points. It was also a size that will work for me but I have to admit, I think it can be improved. First, it could be extended another couple of inches toward the tail light for additional carrying capacity. Also with the two internal bars welded in parallel with the side bars, the gaps prevent carrying/strapping smaller. This is a trait of most racks for the TW with the exception being the Nomadic that provides plenty of surface area but not ideal mounting locations. Some of my favorite racks are the Pro Moto billet racks - a little larger Manrack with a crisscross design would be an improvement IMO.

JNS LED headlight - huge improvement over stock as many are aware. I ride almost exclusively during the day so I was looking for more brightness to be seen and this does the trick. I have limited time with it at night but it's an improvement over stock. For night, as others have mentioned, it's more directed light than light with a wide projection pattern. I also changed the rear bulb to LED for a bit more brightness. I did the same with the turn signals as well as speedo and indicator lights. I bailed on LEDs in the turn signals for the time being. My experience and confirmed with some non-scientific testing with friends over beers, LED bulbs in stock housings don't yield much more brightness.

X-chain with new sprokets -- upgraded to a DID XV428 xring chain with new JT front and rear sprockets. I kept the rear at 47T as it came as it works for my riding. 122 links worked fine.

Maintenance -- purchased the bike with 1115 miles - original owner said oil, filter and plug were changed at 630 miles along with valve adjustment. At 1560 miles, I changed oil to Mobile1 4T and all filters to HiFlo along with an IDK Iridium plug. I'm not convinced the oil filter or plug was changed at 630 miles. Valves both measured at .004 so adjusted. Started and ran much better than when purchased so...

Fuel Mixture Screw -- ...I went ahead and pulled the fuel mixture screw plug. Was 1.5 turns out from factory and settled on 2.25 turns at 358' above sea level.

The maintenance combined with the screw adjustment has my TW running a lot smoother and less lean with no popping on decel. It starts easier and throttle response is a bit better. It feels like it runs like it should now. So in the beginning, I was ready to add a pipe and jet kit to the shopping cart and decided to hold off for the reasons shared. I feel the bike runs so good now, I'm not going to proceed with the pipe or jetting at this time and enjoy it as is.

I do have a few additional mods coming and that will be it for the time being. Up next is a Richochet skid plate, Ride Concepts gripper seat and a Wolfman tank bag. That should have me good to go until winter arrives and I'm looking for something to do.

Love this little donkey - so much fun!

IMG_6788.JPG IMG_6791.JPG IMG_6787.JPG

Sunday Funday morning ride through the cattle farms close to the house

IMG_6799.JPG

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Took me years to accomplish what you've done so far. I owned my 2005 TW for 5-6 years before discovering the forum and it was bone stock because I didn't know any better. Because I ride with moto-boots my feet kept falling off the stock pegs so that was the first mod I ever did. Not sure if the front tire or bar risers were next (failing re-memory don't-cha-know) but both worked out great. One day I'll get that JNS headlight for my TW's. It's been a while since I didn't an accidental after dark ride but that's what my justification is, though being seen in daylight helps and I've seen how bright those JNS lights are in the daylight. Take care and have fun mod'in...errr I mean riding haha.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take care and have fun mod'in...errr I mean riding haha.
Thanks Admiral. Plenty of riding in between mods and was waiting to get the full service done before I explore farther and more off the beaten path. Now I can focus on my ride reports. :cool:

And thanks to all who make this forum possible and contribute - it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome....

I just so happen to be looking for a set of passenger pegs...where are you located?
Thanks TW BC.

I wish I could help but I keep all stock parts. It was a lesson my father encouraged when I caught the modding bug from him many years ago as he was into cars and bikes as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Completed a few mods since my last post so thought I would post an update with brief reviews.

Installed ASV F2 adjustable levers. I've used ASVs in the past and have always been impressed with the made in the USA quality. Getting the levers a little closer to the bars works well for me:

IMG_6857.JPG IMG_6858.JPG

Next up was a Seat Concepts kit with gripper cover. The stock seat is one of my biggest complaints about the TW as I couldn't go longer than 45 minutes and then need to take a break. I was initially hesitant on the SC as best I can tell general consensus is it's better than stock but not a game changer. I find it to a big improvement over stock. I recently did a ride that was a mix of road and trails and was on the bike for about 4 hours total and never complained to myself. A few rides since and I'm still pleased:

IMG_6877.JPG IMG_6874.JPG

The Giant Loop tail bag works well on the Manrack now that I got it secured properly. Not huge but holds the essentials.

The requisite Ricochet skid plate -- installed and post test:

IMG_6882.JPG IMG_6890.JPG

Installed a small toolbox straight from China. Holds 4 Rok Straps perfectly which was my goal:

IMG_6905.JPG

How she sits now:

IMG_6872.JPG

I thought I was done mods until winter break (which is thankfully brief around here) but after some recent trail riding, my bike and my fat a$$ will most appreciate a suspension upgrade. Beauty marks on the front fender caused by the cooler at full bottom out:

IMG_6908.JPG

It has been awhile since I did any trail riding and I got into the initial section HOT and quickly realized the limits of the TW suspension. Once we had a chat with one another, we got along just fine with an agreement for an upgrade.

So I've been shopping suspension options and will likely go with the ProCycle fork kit including the emulators. For the rear, the options are limited for the 2017+ bikes best I can tell so any suggestions are appreciated. Per another thread, a Works may be in the plans but not until early next year. I plan to contact YSS USA on Tuesday to see if they have an option.

Really pleased with the TW and upgrades thus far. Smiles for miles!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts