TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few years of thinking about a TW, and off and on looking for one, I finally picked one up at Barber last weekend.

It's a 2009 with 3700 miles and in my opinion is in very good shape. He was asking $2950. Although, I'd been thinking about buying one for a long time, and even had a Craigslist email notification set up so I'd see what popped up in my area, I wasn't really planning to buy a bike at Barber, and wasn't really looking for a TW at all while there. But, my cousin alerted me to it when he ran across one for sale. While I was looking the bike over, my cousin spoke up and said, "All bullshit aside, what's your real number on the bike?" The guy thought for a second then replied, "I guess I'd take twenty five".

DANG! :hmmmmm That was the magic number that I had in my head, so I just couldn't pass it up!

It also came with a few add-ons like Pro Taper SE Raptor ATV bars, bar risers, Moose Expedition rack, MSR shift lever, larger pegs, a pair of Acerbis barkbusters, and a factory service manual. The bark busters where in a box with miscellaneous original parts and such. They were pretty beat up so I'm assuming they'd previously been used on another bike as their condition didn't match the rest of this bike. They're not in the photos below as they weren't installed when I bought it, but I sanded the worst of the gouges out and installed them last night. Still not pretty, but serviceable and good enough. :thumb The guy I got it from bought it as a camp bike for the back of his motor home. He didn't use it much as he decided it wasn't what he wanted. He now wants a Big Ruckus for his purposes. The bike must have belonged to a big guy before the guy I bought it from as it has the ATV bars and risers. They were too high for me so I removed the risers after the photos were taken. They're JUST right now. Same with the shifter... it was too long for my feet, so I installed an IMS shifter last night and it's just right.

The bike will do 70 flat out, and will do 60 relatively comfortably. But, it seems happiest between 45 and 55. I have a new 47 tooth sprocket and X-ring chain to install this weekend. Also have a new Uni filter and Procycle jet kit so I'll get around to tinkering with the carb at some point.

The only issue that really bothers me is the clutch. It has to be the worst clutch I've ever experienced! It engages very late in lever travel and has a very short range of effectiveness. It's very difficult to shift smoothly. Especially from first to second. I have it properly adjusted but it just sucks. I thought at first that maybe the PO had just fried it and that I'd need to replace it soon. But it doesn't slip. And I've read a few posts on the subject on here, and it seems to be a common thing with these bikes. Does anyone have anything contrary to say in that regard? Is there anything that can be done to improve it? :ear

Anyway, here's the bike the night I got it home and gave it a quick bath...

And here it is on it's first shakedown ride...

Oh, and as everyone says, the Deathwing has to go!! Have a new Shinko 241 to install this weekend as well...

·
Registered
263 Posts
The only issue that really bothers me is the clutch
My previous 2013 was the exact same way, no way around it, as far as I know. Drove me bananas, so you may have to live with it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The only change to the clutch that might provide a little (and I mean probably not noticeable depending on the bike and the person), is to upgrade the clutch springs to the stiffer ones:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/ebc-clutch-spring-set-p?v=15039

Other than that, good adjustments and keep that clutch cable lubed up, that's about the best you can do.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Maybe the slack needs to be adjusted out of the cable. Check both ends for this.

You can also drill/file your lever to change the leverage point.
https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/58442-easy-2-finger-clutch-lever-mod.html
It will make a longer slip zone and even easier pull. It will require a full pull to completely disengage but it will offer a lot of slipping control...or buy an aftermarket lever that does the same thing.

I find the gear shifting on the TW is largely effect by RPMs and if you are too high in the revs even trying to switch from 1st to 2nd it wants to keep engaged and makes smooth gear switching a bit tricky. For instance switching up the gears going downhill can require some braking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I also posted to the TW thread over on Advrider and received a few responses. Based on that, and since I had no idea what the PO's had used, I did an oil change using Mobil 1 10W40. I also adjusted almost all slack out the the cable. It seems a little better but still not what I'm used to... The clutch just engages much later than what I'd consider "normal" for most bikes. I'm just riding it as is, and trying to get used to it. Worse case, the clutch is shot... If that's the case, eventually it'll start slipping. I'll replace when and if necessary.

In the meantime, had a chance to get a few things done on the bike...

I installed a 47 tooth rear sprocket and X-ring chain today...

Also a Shinko 241 with Michelin ULTRA heavy duty tube. And when they say ultra, they mean it! This thing is almost as thick as the tire! Hopefully it'll prove puncture and pinch resistant.

I'm guessing that it's the heavy tube, or maybe the tire... or probably a combination of the two, but a shortish test ride revealed a little wheel hop. Not horrible, but slightly perceptible. I normally balance my bike tires, but with the low speeds of this bike I didn't bother. Looks like I'll be pulling it off again once I get some decent clip on spoke type wheel weights. Don't want to waste my good lead stick-ons that I use on bikes with cast wheels.

Also got the worst of the gouges sanded out of the hand guards, and installed them a couple nights ago... Not pretty, but serviceable.

Also have a DG exhaust inbound. I know it serves no real purpose. But I like the looks, and the back to back sound comparo that TDubskid did sure sounded better than the wheezy stock exhaust. Once I get it installed it'll be time to dive into the carb and see what's what...

Overall it's a cool little bike. Really enjoying the low seat height and weight. Makes for a very confidence inspiring little runabout. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I also posted to the TW thread over on Advrider and received a few responses. Based on that, and since I had no idea what the PO's had used, I did an oil change using Mobil 1 10W40. I also adjusted almost all slack out the the cable. It seems a little better but still not what I'm used to... The clutch just engages much later than what I'd consider "normal" for most bikes. I'm just riding it as is, and trying to get used to it. Worse case, the clutch is shot... If that's the case, eventually it'll start slipping. I'll replace when and if necessary.

In the meantime, had a chance to get a few things done on the bike...

I installed a 47 tooth rear sprocket and X-ring chain today...

Also a Shinko 241 with Michelin ULTRA heavy duty tube. And when they say ultra, they mean it! This thing is almost as thick as the tire! Hopefully it'll prove puncture and pinch resistant.

I'm guessing that it's the heavy tube, or maybe the tire... or probably a combination of the two, but a shortish test ride revealed a little wheel hop. Not horrible, but slightly perceptible. I normally balance my bike tires, but with the low speeds of this bike I didn't bother. Looks like I'll be pulling it off again once I get some decent clip on spoke type wheel weights. Don't want to waste my good lead stick-ons that I use on bikes with cast wheels.

Also got the worst of the gouges sanded out of the hand guards, and installed them a couple nights ago... Not pretty, but serviceable.

Also have a DG exhaust inbound. I know it serves no real purpose. But I like the looks, and the back to back sound comparo that TDubskid did sure sounded better than the wheezy stock exhaust. Once I get it installed it'll be time to dive into the carb and see what's what...

Overall it's a cool little bike. Really enjoying the low seat height and weight. Makes for a very confidence inspiring little runabout. :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Looks great and congrats.
As far as the clutch goes beside stiffer springs and adjustment, face facts that this is the ultimate bargain-basement motorcycle that Yamaha makes/sells so don't expect a WR250 or KTM feel to your clutch. I know after riding my XR250 for awhile and then switching to the TW I sometimes think something is wrong/out of whack.
If you can find or know someone in your area that owns a TW see if you can compare with theirs before going nuts adjusting.

3700 miles is a relatively new bike so I doubt the clutch would be fried unless the PO abused it and it sure doesn't look that way. If you happen to decide to add a kick-starter kit (one of the few bikes made that you can still easily do this and a popular mod here on the forum) you can add stiffer springs then.

Good Luck, Have Fun and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great and congrats.
As far as clutch goes beside stiffer springs and adjustment face facts that this is the ultimate bargain-basement motorcycle that Yamaha makes/sells so don't expect WR250 or KTM feel to your clutch. If you can find or know someone in your area that owns one see if you can compare with theirs before going nuts adjusting.

3700 miles is a relatively new bike so I doubt there clutch is fried unless the PO abused it and it sure doesn't look that way. If you happen to decide to add a kick-starter kit (one of the few bikes made that you can still do this and a popular mod here on the forum) you can add stiffer springs then.

Good Luck and ride safe.
Well, I wasn't expecting perfection. But, I've ridden a LOT of bikes, including some real budget jobs, and I can't remember anything with a clutch this bad. The bike definitely hasn't been abused. But a newb can do a lot of damage to a clutch in short order so you never really know... It doesn't slip though, and I've had several replies that it's just the way they are. I guess that in time I'll recalibrate my left hand and get used to it...

I would LOVE to add a kick starter! Back when I first became interested in a TW that was my plan for certain. But, this time around, when I started looking into them again, I learned that the kits were no longer available. If anyone knows differently, please let me know where they can be found.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is a kit start kit on eBay, but since they are getting harder to find this one is priced accordingly.

I purchased one from this seller a while back and he ships quickly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a kit start kit on eBay, but since they are getting harder to find this one is priced accordingly.

I purchased one from this seller a while back and he ships quickly.
Yeah, the "kits" seem to be hard to find. That was what I had read a while back when I got interested in getting a TW again. But, once I actually had one I was more motivated to dig a little deeper, where I found the individual parts that make up the kit are readily available...

I just ordered all of the parts for $276.52 shipped.

In case anyone's interested, here's the part list:

15A-15651-01-00 GEAR,KICK IDLE
In Stock
Ordered: 1
$32.17

15A-15660-01-00 KICK AXLE ASY
In Stock
$63.82

15A-15666-00-00 SPACER
In Stock
$5.58

36X-15641-00-00 GEAR,KICK
In Stock
$36.10

401-15676-00-00 COVER,SPRING
In Stock
$2.49

4BE-15462-00-00 GASKET,CRCS CVR 3
In Stock
$14.13

54G-15620-01-00 KICK CRANK ASSY
In Stock
$86.96

90201-173F4-00 WASHER,PLATE
In Stock
$3.39

90201-175F6-00 WASHER,PLATE
In Stock
$2.26

90209-17226-00 WASHER,SPECL SHAP
In Stock
$3.00

90214-17028-00 WASHER,CLAW
In Stock
$2.64

90215-14186-00 WASHER,LOCK
In Stock
$4.69

90338-18014-00 PLUG,SPECL SHAPE
In Stock
$3.27

90468-26122-00 CLIP
In Stock
$3.39

90508-26538-00 SPRING,TORSION
In Stock
$4.55

93102-17263-00 OIL SEAL,SD-TYPE
In Stock
$4.85

97017-08030-00 BOLT,HEXAGON
In Stock
$1.29

99009-17400-00 CIRCLIP
In Stock
Ordered: 3
$1.98

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And since I'm in there anyway, I decided to remove all doubt and throw in a fresh set of friction plates.

For such a simple little inexpensive bike, I sure am finding ways to spend money on it! New front tire and tube, new rear sprocket and X-ring chain, new shift lever, kick start parts, new friction plates, along with a clutch holding tool to fit, new front fender and high mount bracket, and a DG exhaust... And most likely I'll be adding a quiet core insert to the exhaust. Just want to hear it stock first so I can decide which insert to buy...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I considered that. But, I'm a wee thing barely tipping the scales at 140. And at 3800 miles now, even if the plates have been abused, I'm guessing that the stock springs are good to go... I've also been told that the HD springs can actually cause the issue that I've been complaining about. So, with no real perceived need, I figure I'll just leave well enough alone with the springs. Unless of course, someone can offer a compelling reason for me to reconsider...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I got my DG V2 exhaust installed this afternoon. Haven't had a chance to really test it while riding yet, but here's a short video clip comparing the sound between the two. It was filmed on my iPhone so don't expect too much. Camera was placed in a tripod positioned 3 feet from exhaust exit and at about a 30 degree angle offset to the right. This is with the stock DG V2 setup although I do have the 1.25" quiet insert coming. But, honestly, with just this simple test, the DG doesn't appear to be too terribly loud as is...

I also installed a new UNI airfilter and a Procycle jet kit using the supplied 34 pilot, supplied needle with two shim washers, and a 130 main. Oddly enough, when I pulled the anti-tamper plug from the fuel screw, I found it already set at 2.5 turns out. I left it as is until I get a chance to start testing and fine tuning the jetting. If all goes well, I hope to get the kick start kit, new clutch plates, and high fender installed tomorrow, as well as check the valve lash.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And, in other news... It was a rainy day in Georgia. What better way to spend a rainy day than working on a bike in the garage?

All of my parts for the kick start retrofit had arrived, so that's how I spent the day...

Doing this by trying to piece it all together from various bits and pieces from different posts on TW200forum, and online microfiches was kind of a PITA. But, in the end, I figured out how all of the pieces were supposed to fit and got all of the new parts in there....

And then, my clutch holding tool that I had ordered, and which was "guaranteed" by Amazon to arrive today, didn't. :dirtdog So, I improvised... Yeah, it looks janky...

But, guess what. It worked! And, I finally got everything together! :super

Dealing with my ineptitude was even more of a PITA! I think I pulled the clutch three different times due to stupid shit... But in the end, it all came together. I had also installed a Procycle jet kit last night and hadn't even tried to start it since... Once I had the kick start setup installed,I put the tank back on and turned on the gas. Initially it took a little longer to start than normal. Probably because the float bowl was empty... :doh But, then it fired up and idled right away with no choke. I let it run for less than 30 seconds, then killed it. Turned the ignition back on, and tried the kick start. It fired right up on the first kick! :drink Repeated that test a few times to the same result, so I'm guessing that I at least somehow managed to get it together correctly. Hopefully I'll get to ride tomorrow and see how my jetting changes work out.

But, in the meantime, I also decided to install the high fender bracket from Procycle, along with a UFO version 1 supermoto fender. I know this is subjective and debatable, but, I'm happy with the way it turned out. The standard low front fender is ok, but I guess I just prefer the more "dirt bike" look that the higher fender gives the bike...

About the only thing left, other than fine tuning the jetting, is the tank. I ordered a Clarke natural tank and still waiting for a shipping notification. Yeah, I know... But, so far things have been going my way, so maybe I'll get lucky and get one that actually fits. If not, I have a couple of ideas of how to make it work for my needs. We'll see....

In the meantime... Just ride...

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
hasn't taken you long to make your dub really Yours... congrats, now go enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hey, Poser...what a fine lookin' little hot rod! Good job.
I usually don't care for top cases but this one is just right.

Put a hinge in the middle of that clutch holder and you can carry it with you on the trail!
Clever...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts