TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason today, it was oddly difficult for the bike to settle in neutral. Any thoughts? 4500 miles

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Tighten chain or oil change or both.

Reactions: WECSOG

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Sometimes it seems finding neutral with my size 12's is a pain. More than once I have just reached down and gently pulled it up from low by hand. Just a twitch is all it needs.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My bike can be hard to find neutral sometimes too. I think it's my clutch adjustment. The chain tension should have nothing to do with it.

If I adjust it so that neutral is easy to find, it doesn't start to engage until the lever is almost all the way out. But then if I adjust it so it starts to engage right away (like my other bikes), you can't get it into Neutral at all. So I had to find middle ground. And this is with a new clutch too btw.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
My bike can be hard to find neutral sometimes too. I think it's my clutch adjustment. The chain tension should have nothing to do with it.

If I adjust it so that neutral is easy to find, it doesn't start to engage until the lever is almost all the way out. But then if I adjust it so it starts to engage right away (like my other bikes), you can't get it into Neutral at all. So I had to find middle ground. And this is with a new clutch too btw.
I know it doesn't seem like the chain should have anything to do with it, but it has been documented in this forum and the old archives. It's even done it to me. Neutral and shifting.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I know it doesn't seem like the chain should have anything to do with it, but it has been documented in this forum and the old archives. It's even done it to me. Neutral and shifting.
Weird. So you're saying if the chain is too loose it causes this?

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
That was my experience, being loose. I really don't know about if it was on the tight side though. I imagine you would feel it.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Is the shifting pattern sticker still on the case or did it accidently get blown off with a pressure washer?

Reactions: joeband

·
Registered
385 Posts
When mine is acting up, I go to 2nd, and neutral is easier to find. Not sure why. Mine only does this once in a while.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I find that when I take my time the neutral indicator light has a delay which makes it harder or take longer then it should to find it. It's also really touchy and sometime when I think I'm all the way down to 1st I'm actually in neutral and after I give it gas and let out the clutch the light comes on or I'm trying to start off in 2nd. lol Other days it's more predictable.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
For some reason today, it was oddly difficult for the bike to settle in neutral. Any thoughts? 4500 miles
Was that with the engine running or not?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Good call , Trail Woman. I've noticed that too.

I find that when I take my time the neutral indicator light has a delay which makes it harder or take longer then it should to find it. It's also really touchy and sometime when I think I'm all the way down to 1st I'm actually in neutral and after I give it gas and let out the clutch the light comes on or I'm trying to start off in 2nd. lol Other days it's more predictable.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Seems to be the design. Sometimes, it's hard to find neutral...or even get into 1st, as you're coming up on a stop. What I have found, is, stop, whatever gear you think you're in and can't get lower in...and then, stopped, roll it backwards a foot or so. It'll slide right into neutral.

The ongoing problem I have is, I whack it down four times and find I was blocked out of first; that I'm trying to start in second.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Check your clutch adjustment. Also get in the habit of feeling for neutral from second gear before you come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Sometimes I have trouble finding neutral, than I realize, it's right where I left it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts