TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ride in the finger lakes forest? Just browsed google maps and saw that it's only 1.5 hr from me. Looking for dual sport legal forests not too far from Rochester

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look into the Wayne County MC..they usually have a "Thrills in the Hills" spring ride, beginning of June.. Starts and ends at the Fire station in Atlanta, NY .check out their web site for more info,
www.waynecountymc.com
there is also another Dual sportriders club called Skidmarks in the Bath NY area. they do lots of rides around the southern tier.
Skidmarks Dualsport Riders - Home

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I lived up near Rochester, Hilton, for 12 years and found very few good rides for a TW excursion. Hit the hills down in the Catskills or Adirondacks or shoot straight down in to PA for the best places to explore.

Down here by me I have lots of secondary roads and what we call seasonal use roads that get zero travel or maintenance all winter long. Completely legal to ride on and I can take a long ride on any day hitting lots of good trails scattered between secondary road routes. Get a DeLorme TOPO Gazzeteer map to find the seasonal use roads in various areas throughout the state. The glory of our TWs is they are legal to ride on any state roads and there are thousands of old, unpaved seasonal roads that are completely legal but not suitable for regular cars to travel. You could hop scotch around here for days hitting all the season roads that take you the long way over the mountains to all the small towns scattered throughout this area. Many of these old roads get completely washed out every winter and spring and are a complete blast on a TW. I am not one for trespassing on private lands but when the road says seasonal use then it is state owned and completely open for our pleasure. Almost like they have a big neon sign saying TWs Welcome!

GaryL

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Singletrack trails still blocked for horseback riding but at least the main trails and a couple of unmaintained seasonal trails were bumpy and fun

Attachments

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Singletrack trails still blocked for horseback riding but at least the main trails and a couple of unmaintained seasonal trails were bumpy and fun
Ok which bag is that strapped to your tank? Does it fit well? I am still looking for one myself.

Tom

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's an old Marsee made in USA bag. It comes with magnet flaps and a few top straps to connect to handlebar crossbeam. The magnets don't hold the bag down in high winds so i ordered a buckle/strap pair kit from Wolfman Luggage and mounted side straps/buckles on the frame behind the rear of the gas tank and the corresponding buckle on the hand strap of the tank bag. I wish the bag was waterproof. I just carry a plastic grocery bag with cutouts for the straps/buckles to pass through (cheap idea from Advrider.com).

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
That's an old Marsee made in USA bag. It comes with magnet flaps and a few top straps to connect to handlebar crossbeam. The magnets don't hold the bag down in high winds so i ordered a buckle/strap pair kit from Wolfman Luggage and mounted side straps/buckles on the frame behind the rear of the gas tank and the corresponding buckle on the hand strap of the tank bag. I wish the bag was waterproof. I just carry a plastic grocery bag with cutouts for the straps/buckles to pass through (cheap idea from Advrider.com).
Thank you! Im going to Google that and see if it is still in production. Does the size seem good to you? These factory tanks are just so small.......

Tom

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I believe Nelson Rigg has hi-viz tank bags and saddlebags. I love hi viz
I have seen several that I really like but they all seem so big. I wish they had a superstore or something nearby where I could actually hold a bag in my hands before purchasing. I really like the whole "Made in America" aspect as well.

Tom

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My ride to finger lakes forest was dissapointing. All the single track trails are strictly for hiking/horseriding. I can't wait to move out to the utah desert next year.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
My ride to finger lakes forest was dissapointing. All the single track trails are strictly for hiking/horseriding. I can't wait to move out to the utah desert next year.
I am sorry to hear that. It is true there are very few if any single tracks open to the public around here. I have enjoyed discovering countless seasonal use roads on my TW though. I know the two tracks are not as much fun for the mud seekers but there are several places around here that WILL test the rider. At least it does for my skill level. I eneded up picking up a travelmaster tank bag and a GPS\Phone sleeve that attaches to the top of it in place of the map pouch which it comes with. I think it looks nice on the stock tank to boot. If anybody is interested I can post some pictures:rolleyes:

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts