TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Day Three Bret took the League of Extraordinary Larrys, Lori, Admiral and myself to Fins and Things where my ATV tire did very well in the sand. Once we realized the slopes were not slippery at all we motored around like pros on the fins, but struggled a bit in the loose sand. Later we ran Porcupine Rim which was not as scenic but much more tiring; I have some video of it to share but as usual I forgot to turn on camera for the challenging bits, was too focused on survival.:eek:

Lots of pretty scenery above Moab.
P1010100.JPG P1010101.JPG P1010082.JPG P1010081.JPG P1010074.JPG

·
Registered
20,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Afterwards Bret took us up this Porcupine Rim Trail which had some good technical challenges on the taller rocky steps. On one where we stacked rocks I picked a line a little too close to an escarpment and got scraped clean right off the bike, broke poor Betty's clutch lever too.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
More great videos Fred! Your bike sounds like it was running fine. Can't pick up on any timing issues. As Tony said, guess if it was running lean you could have damaged your piston. Hope the repair is a quick one. Gerry

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
You did another great job portraying the Porcupine Rim trail. Most of the trail we rode was fun an interesting. Of course we had a few spots which gave us trouble. Good thing we were in a nice big group so we could help each other out. One of the things I'll always remember about not only this trail, but all of 'em, are the "steps". I've seen a few steps on trails before, but the degree of difficulty and quantity definetly kept your attention to the task at hand.

And to think, we only rode a portion of the Porcupine Trail. It went on for quite a while and even divided into several more "lesser used" trails...according to the map!:D We left lots of trails on the table for the "next" trip!

You've done a great job putting the video's together. Thanks a bunch for sharing them.

·
Registered
20,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Kris. Thursday I went back and re-rode first section in the reverse direction and it seemed much easier going down some of the steps. However Borneo's bike being new to me was a handful in the sand, my ATV tire has spoiled me with it's floatation. I also re-rode all of Fins and Things and it was a joy not to have the terror of the first encounter with the steep slopes, a little familiarity and confidence makes all the difference, removes the sense of unknown. Hell's Revenge with Borneo's squirmy and squirrelly front tire totally intimidated me as one starts immediately climbing a miniature Lions Back steep narrow ridge where the terrain falls off on either side. At one point I considered deliberately getting a flat on some cactus just to have an excuse to quit... Darn, most of my camera's photos are over 5mb file size, too big to post. Anyone know how to trim resolution of crop image on an Apple using iPhoto?

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Thank You Kris. Thursday I went back and re-rode first section in the reverse direction and it seemed much easier going down some of the steps. However Borneo's bike being new to me was a handful in the sand, my ATV tire has spoiled me with it's floatation. I also re-rode all of Fins and Things and it was a joy not to have the terror of the first encounter with the steep slopes, a little familiarity and confidence makes all the difference, removes the sense of unknown. Hell's Revenge with Borneo's squirmy and squirrelly front tire totally intimidated me as one starts immediately climbing a miniature Lions Back steep narrow ridge where the terrain falls off on either side. At one point I considered deliberately getting a flat on some cactus just to have an excuse to quit... Darn, most of my camera's photos are over 5mb file size, too big to post. Anyone know how to trim resolution of crop image on an Apple using iPhoto?
Not an Apple guy so this caused me some discomfort.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2639

Tom

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
I'll have to remember the cactus trick for the future. Lori wants to ride Hell's Revenge when we return one day. I'm still intimidated by the thought of riding it. Saw that picture of the very steep and very long incline at the trailhead. Yikes!

Can't help with the apple re-size as I've never had an apple computer. With my PC, I resize my photo's with Microsoft Office Picture Manager before uploading to picasa/google web.

·
Registered
20,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tom. I'll try later your solution at end of day. Mighty helpfull of you to search for me, 'tis appreciated.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Thanks Tom. I'll try later your solution at end of day. Mighty helpfull of you to search for me, 'tis appreciated.
I love ya Fred but that was the most self serving thing I will do all day!:D

Tom

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Great video. I sure missed a lot lol. Having two different camps had us split up a lot. It does however show more of the area as folks of both camps share pics. Just shows me I HAVE to go back for more. Hope we can get another ride together in the next year or two. timesawastin folks.

·
Registered
20,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Randell points out a good observation that it would have been a bit better had we all been together somewhere less than 20 miles apart. Next year do we meet in Colorado, Telluride maybe? Grand Tetons and Yellowstone? Someplace with moderate terrain?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Randell points out a good observation that it would have been a bit better had we all been together somewhere less than 20 miles apart. Next year do we meet in Colorado, Telluride maybe? Grand Tetons and Yellowstone? Someplace with moderate terrain?
Ok Fred, your on. Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, your on. Moderate terrain? come on now, after this ride any terrain is moderate.

Wait a minute! TW's, Yellowstone, bears, we might be on the menu.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
While Lori and I want to go back to Moab within the next year or two, we've also talked about putting another ride together up near Burgdorf, Id, north of McCall. Don't want to quite call it a Russ Rally Northwest II, but are thinking on calling it that. With only 4 riders not counting BillPacific/Arlene (hence forth known as BPA:D, we're a little leary of the effort with little result (riders). Plus a location like this makes it hard for folks from another part of the country attending. Maybe a middle of the country site you've mentioned is best for all. We just happen to know this area would be an excellent for all rider capabilities. Groomed gravel roads, non-maintained roads turned trails, and even single track trails. Has lakes to fish, old mines too see, and several fire lookout towers. Also has cuddly bears, wolves, and mountain lions, roar!

Not familiar with the other riding options you've mentioned, driven not ridden, but I hope someone with experience riding these area's will chime in. Heck, we ain't even done posting/recovering from Moab and we're talking about the next one! Must mean Moab was a success!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Being right next door, if you say your going to have a get together, I will be there. Wife seeing us all with pics of moab is getting more anxious to get on her quad and join Lori. Been trying to get her out some, I think this trip has her more interested in getting out.

·
Registered
20,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would try hard to make any rendezvous west of the Mississipi. I have a fondness for the gem state Idaho but realize it is a long haul for many. We should get some input from those who know the northern Colorado rockies perhaps. Lets keep the idea alive. I would certainly do Moab region again.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
323 Posts
Count me in this year just give as much notice as possible. We are planning a Salmon/Challis area ride because its closer and less chance of fires but I love the area North of McCall.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
While Lori and I want to go back to Moab within the next year or two, we've also talked about putting another ride together up near Burgdorf, Id, north of McCall. Don't want to quite call it a Russ Rally Northwest II, but are thinking on calling it that. With only 4 riders not counting BillPacific/Arlene (hence forth known as BPA:D, we're a little leary of the effort with little result (riders). Plus a location like this makes it hard for folks from another part of the country attending. Maybe a middle of the country site you've mentioned is best for all. We just happen to know this area would be an excellent for all rider capabilities. Groomed gravel roads, non-maintained roads turned trails, and even single track trails. Has lakes to fish, old mines too see, and several fire lookout towers. Also has cuddly bears, wolves, and mountain lions, roar!

Not familiar with the other riding options you've mentioned, driven not ridden, but I hope someone with experience riding these area's will chime in. Heck, we ain't even done posting/recovering from Moab and we're talking about the next one! Must mean Moab was a success!
The Moab ride started with just one saying lets to it. As time went and it was not that long and we had a great following. Just set a date and see what comes of it. If it doesn't pan out we can do it at a time when others can join. I think that Idaho would bring in a lot more northwesterners and the states surrounding you. Not many can take the time to go as far as some did for Moab. I was amazed at the easterners and so glad they came. What a collage of folks.

Doing Idaho in a timbered setting with lakes and rivers to check out and camp by would be a wonderful time.

Just Googled Burgdorf. A days drive from me and most Oregonians. I am sure there would be some from the east of you as well as south. This is so doable. Love that Crystal Mountain, looks kind of lonely. With a road to the top it is a must see.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Plan that next ride early folks. I want to be there, and the nature of the business requires me to plan very far ahead. The beauty of the business is that there is no question I can attend if I have enough warning.

Remember, I have to hand off that beautiful trophy. :D An obligation I don't take lightly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts