TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Took the TW out for a ride after work yesterday along a few "Seasonal Roads" and up into a couple of the State Forest areas near where I live. I tried to explore a few places that I haven't been before. Leonard Hill state Forest supposedly has an old fire tower and I went looking for it. The roads were pretty washed out from all the rain, with lots of ruts and some areas of two-track actually looking more like a single track next to a small stream, but those chubby tires don't care.

Anyway, I did finally find the tower. It looks long abandoned, and the first couple tiers of ladder/stairs are gone.

My curiosity, sense of adventure, and refusal to grow old gracefully eventually got the best of me, so I climbed up enough to use the stairs and go to the top. Absolutely amazing view, and I could really feel the tower swaying in the breeze. The floor was long gone at the top platform so I snapped a quick pic from the top step.

Spent the next hour or so taking the long way home. Turned out to be about a 75 mile round trip. A great way to enjoy a gorgeous afternoon.

Registered
Looks kind of like some of the Towers I use to man at Tan Son Nhut {Saigon} back in 1970....at Night, just me and my M-16 and a little M-60 ... ;)

Tango one Tan Son Nhut redux.gif

Super Moderator
We have a fire tower called Apply Pie Hill Fire Tower.
Tower2U.jpg
Tower4U.jpg
Tower1U.jpg

It's in the pine barrens and will be closed soon do to the idiots carrying tv's and trash up it and tossing it down... I give it the summer.

Registered
Had the most enjoyable time back when I owned my Shadow, trying to visit many of TN's towers. Coulda used a dual sport then, for sure. They remind me of a nostalgic time before the population explosion and the state had more forests that needed protecting. Back when people still used eyeballs to see instead of relying on digital technology. Here's the webpage I put together. (Forgive some of the broken links, the page is ancient.) Tennessee Fire Towers

Most interesting was the Fall Creek Falls tower. IIRC it was built in the 1800's to commemorate the Civil War and originally located on Lookout Mt. in Chattanooga. Then got moved 60 miles to FCF where it remains today in the state park.

Super Moderator
Had the most enjoyable time back when I owned my Shadow, trying to visit many of TN's towers. Coulda used a dual sport then, for sure. They remind me of a nostalgic time before the population explosion and the state had more forests that needed protecting. Back when people still used eyeballs to see instead of relying on digital technology. Here's the webpage I put together. (Forgive some of the broken links, the page is ancient.) Tennessee Fire Towers

Most interesting was the Fall Creek Falls tower. IIRC it was built in the 1800's to commemorate the Civil War and originally located on Lookout Mt. in Chattanooga. Then got moved 60 miles to FCF where it remains today in the state park.
Wow, you've been to quite a few of them!! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
There were a bunch of places on the roads and trails leading up where you could see that the local kids had their campfires, but those were fairly clean without any real trash left behind so I'm guessing nobody bothers them out there.
When I rode up, there wasn't anyone around, and that meant nobody would see me if I tried climbing and failed or chickened-out, and it's funny that those reasons factor in so heavily on some things, but being alone I decided to climb it. There is a site with a bunch of the fire towers in this area and maybe I'll see about what it would take to ride and/or hike up to them. There is a weird kinda cool about finding something that big way out in the middle of nowhere. Makes me wonder about who built it and when, and how they got all the materials way up to the top of a ridge in the middle of nowhere.
Anyway, judging on the comments so far, it seems a lot of others find these thing pretty interesting as well.

Registered
Anyway, judging on the comments so far, it seems a lot of others find these thing pretty interesting as well.
Many of our rides involve going to a fire lookout or tower. Sometimes we don't have to climb as far as you though! East Mtn. Lookout burnt down in a fire.

This is what it looked like in the olden days

And a tower type like you found (Carey Dome L.O.) still manned.

Registered
There is one just like those up around Hannagan Meadow on Hwy 666 on the way to Alpine.....somebody had a lucrative Govt. contract! :p

This one was still in use, but the huge Wallow Fire that went through there in 2011 may have buckled it. I was there just two months before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts