TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lucky enough to have a son who shares the riding of my TW. The good news is that for the last couple of years every time the bike needed refueling he was riding.
So today when the engine slightly spluttered, I knew what it mean and headed for a gas station to spend the big $6.54 on gasoline.
For the three years of riding since I last filled the tank - that is pretty cheap riding fun.
Thanks Son - I will plan on filling up again in 2016.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I don't care if you have E-10 or real gas with no ethanol at all in that tank. No gasoline will remain stable for three years in a tank and you are asking for problems running on stale fuel.

I am willing to bet that better than 50% of the carb related issues we read about with our Dubs is directly related to bad fuel.

Even if you use the best fuel stabilizer you can buy, gas won't last that long.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Think you missed the point Gary. Between the lines he saying his son keeps the bike up and ready to ride. Dad just hasn't ever had to put gas in it for three years.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In our family the first thing we were taught as kids was if you use the car - bring it home full of gasoline - my son has been dutifully gassing up the bike as he rode it. I learned from my Dad and he learned from me.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Not so much that I missed the point but I have been reading all the threads about guys getting 80-100 MPGs so I did some quick math on my, new to me, '91 that had just 675 in over 22 years. That's about 7 tank fulls or a fill up every 3 years. No sons for me to keep things gassed up but I do have a wife who insists I take her car every so often when running to the store and it never fails, the fuel light is on or comes on while I am in it. I call it a fair trade for having my laundry done.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
good idea keeping that fuel tank full on any metal tanked motorcycle. Helps keep the rust out! I have been too tired when getting back home to fill up but always make it a point to fill it up the next day.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
In our family the first thing we were taught as kids was if you use the car - bring it home full of gasoline - my son has been dutifully gassing up the bike as he rode it. I learned from my Dad and he learned from me.
You've taught your son well. The only problem is he's getting 2/3 of the fun!:D Ah well, I can see that you're a loving and generous parent. That's cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts