·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First I made a stick,

then I made a board,

and now I've made a starter.

IMG_1322.JPG

I wore out my native right knee from years of kicking over old dirt bikes (and playing soccer, and running marathons!) and had it replaced a couple of years ago. Since then I have passed up some good craigslist deals because they were kick only bikes and so I wanted to see if I could come up with some kind of a non leg-powered motorcycle starter. I went online to get some ideas of what others had built for starting motorcycles. I kept some of the good ideas, threw out most of the rest and here is what I built.

IMG_1331.JPG

Over the past several months, I have picked up a (real) gas MIG welder, a chop saw, a small mill, some steel and began the development and fabrication process. I wanted something as mechanically and electrically simple as possible, portable, and easy to store. Also, since I am just a beginner garage machinist and welder, the design needed to be something that I could hack out and stick together mostly by myself. Here are some the basic components and fabrication steps that I started with.

View attachment 188348

I then bought a heavy duty starter for a big block Chevy motor and began sourcing the drive sprockets and chain.

View attachment 188350

Some more fab work and a mock-up of the assembly.

IMG_0988.JPG

After welding (and a lot of welding cleanup!).

IMG_1239.JPG

Time for initial assembly and functional testing.

IMG_1244.JPG

Everything is working, so time to take it apart again, paint and then re-assemble it again. Here is the finshed product, ready to use.

IMG_1343.JPG

Here is how it works. Roll the back wheel of the bike onto the rollers. With the bike in second or third gear, pull the clutch in and hold the bike in place with the front brake. Depress the footswitch to get the rear wheel spinning, then let the clutch out until the engine begin to turn over and (hopefully!) fires. Release the footswitch, pull the clutch in and roll the bike off the rollers.

IMG_1321.JPG

I learned a lot during this build, mostly by all of the mistakes that I made, but am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
And with the wheels you can tow it behind your next bike to restart it when out and about.:p
What, no AGM? You remove, or tip the wet cell battery upright when storing that handsome bump-start cart?

Nicely done Brian, I was impressed with your fabrication skills when I saw it under construction.

EDIT: Stick is a portable motorcycle stand to carry on the TW. Lifts either the front tire or the rear depending where stick is positioned.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I've seen those at the racetracks many times. Especially the vintage racers with decompression valves. No such thing as a magic-button.
Some are homemade some look store bought (not sure what "store")?

You did an incredibly beautiful job on that one. Really Top-Class.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And with the wheels you can tow it behind your next bike to restart it when out and about.:p
What, no AGM? You remove, or tip the wet cell battery upright when storing that handsome bump-start cart?

Nicely done Brian, I was impressed with your fabrication skills when I saw it under construction.
Thanks Fred!

I was hoping that I could just use a jumpstarter, but they don't seem to work without an actual semi-functional battery in parallel. I also was hoping that I could use one of those plug-in battery charger/engine starters but they don't have enough current to do it. So I went with the wet cell battery. Is there a problem with laying the sealed wet cell battery on its side?

Brian

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen those at the racetracks many times. Especially the vintage racers with decompression valves. No such thing as a magic-button.
Some are homemade some look store bought (not sure what "store")?

You did an incredibly beautiful job on that one. Really Top-Class.
Thanks Stagewex!

I have seen a few places that are selling ones in the $8-9 hundred dollar range and up. I was mainly looking for project to practice my fabrication and welding skills, but I just couldn't excited about building a welding cart.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
What are you looking for in a kick-start only bike?
Right now 4 of my 5 bikes have kick starters with two of them kick-start only.

Old to New:

'69 BMW- Kick Start Only
'91 Honda XR250- Kick Start Only
'95 BMW- K75- Electric Start Only
'06 Yamaha TW200- Electric & Kick Start
'07 Ural Patrol- Electric & Kick Start

Every bike has it own way of starting when you use the Kick Start.
The '69 even if left for a month or more will start with 1 to 3 kicks.
The '91 Honda can be cold-blooded and start 3 to 40 kicks. Obviously I'm still working on that. But your little piece of work would be nice to have sometimes.
Ural & TW, 2-3-4 kicks. But I'll get lazy and use the Magic Button.

Again, beautiful work. You could certainly be selling those, no problem.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice Brian, it turned out just as you had discribed at your last wrench and ride.
You do impressive work my friend.
I have to admit, I am impressed.
Thanks Guys!

Hey Joe, it took a while for me to get up the courage to actually start welding stuff together. The welds weren't pretty but after a good bit of grinding and some work with a wire wheel I at least was able to smooth things out enough that they no longer presented a safety hazard:D!

Brian

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are you looking for in a kick-start only bike?
Right now 4 of my 5 bikes have kick starters with two of them kick-start only.

Old to New:

'69 BMW- Kick Start Only
'91 Honda XR250- Kick Start Only
'95 BMW- K75- Electric Start Only
'06 Yamaha TW200- Electric & Kick Start
'07 Ural Patrol- Electric & Kick Start

Every bike has it own way of starting when you use the Kick Start.
The '69 even if left for a month or more will start with 1 to 3 kicks.
The '91 Honda can be cold-blooded and start 3 to 40 kicks. Obviously I'm still working on that. But your little piece of work would be nice to have sometimes.
Ural & TW, 2-3-4 kicks. But I'll get lazy and use the Magic Button.

Again, beautiful work. You could certainly be selling those, no problem.
It is mainly the big old thumpers like Honda XR500R, XR600R, XR650R, or the Yamaha equivalents. Occasionally street legal versions of these needing some work will pop for a good price. In the past, I would snap these up, get them running and looking good, and flip them for a quick profit. Now, I would dread having to kick these over with my cobalt-chrome replacement knee.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
On Adv. rider right now in the bikes for sale section there is a better than new XL600 going for $4K. And I mean better than new.
That one is out west and built by someone who specializes in exactly this bike.

There is also a 1996 XR600R located in Ohio that just popped up... $2500.00.
Here's the link though I think you have to be signed-up to their forum to view or jump to it:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/1996-xr600r.1359542/

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On Adv. rider right now in the bikes for sale section there is a better than new XL600 going for $4K. And I mean better than new.
That one is out west and built by someone who specializes in exactly this bike.

There is also a 1996 XR600R located in Ohio that just popped up... $2500.00.
Here's the link though I think you have to be signed-up to their forum to view or jump to it:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/1996-xr600r.1359542/
Thanks for link, but here is more what I am interested in. For example, I picked up this 2000 XR650R (aka the Big Red Pig) for $1,300, gave it some love and some lipstick and sold it for $2,800. Not looking for keepers, just project bikes that I can work on and then sell to fund the next project.

000_0068.jpg

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks really good Brian. Maybe your next career will be as a "fabricator" -- making things for people.

Maybe get a combination welder -- MIG, AC/DC TIG (AC/DC so you can weld aluminum) and a stick welder. Add a plasma cutter and you will be all set.
Thanks Tony!

For all the time it took me to build this thing, I doubt if I could come even close to earning the minimum wage. I also need a lot more practice with my current welder before getting any more capability (I do kinda wish that I hadn't sold my tombstone stick welder).

Now I need a new project to work on. . . . .

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Beautiful job.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Just what we should expect from you Brian! Very nice and very useful tool for your shop. My only concern when using the starter cart would be some way of strapping the bike down so it does not jump off or tip over.

My new to me BW 350 has both electric and kick starters but I am actually afraid to even give it a kick. It has a decompression valve on the engine and lots of warnings to never attempt to kick it without engaging the decompression valve. I remember back in my early days with a BSA 441 Victor that about took my leg off when I forgot to decompress the engine. I also remember many of my kick only bikes that probably are why my right knee is so painful today. My dad had some old marine engines we had to wrap the pull cord around the flywheel before we could give it a yank. What a PITA they were if not running well.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts