TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ice has gone off the lake in the front yard over the last three days. Time to start getting the sailboat ready to go. Any other Tdub sailors out there?

Attachments

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
May 25th..? How can you stand that sh*t? I love the northwoods and upstate NY, but for Gawd's Sake I lived in Northern Wisconsin for 2 years....and 9 months of winter and 3 months of rough sledding doesn't make it in my world....Ohio is bad enough....damn Global Warming anyway..:cool:

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
Nice looking day sailer, glad you can put in water soon. I used to play around with Hobbie cats and car top dingys on mountain lakes but got tired of blowdowns from erratic gusts and being wet and cold as I never had a cabin. I gave up the sport after a missing drain plug sunk my CarTopper at far end of Hell Hole Resivoir. I was able to run her aground on submerged granite shelf, de-rig lines and pulleys to slowly winch her up a cliff to drain while swimming around looking for driftwood to carve a new drain plug. Glad I had my pocketknife!

Reactions: sp_cache

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Glad I had my pocketknife!
Silly as it sounds, I somewhat evaluate a man's value by whether he has a pocket knife. I don't need to see a big hulking liner lock, regular old Scout Knife will work. To me it shows a level of preparedness that makes me more comfortable, and tells me he is a man who expects to encounter and accomplish things during his day.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Beautiful boat and lake, too. My father and uncle used to build and race sailboats. There were some trophies, so they must have had a passion for it. My dad taught me to sail as soon as I was big enough to hold the tiller and many summer hours were spent in the sailboat, a 14' Pintail. Used to love taking it out by myself, running the mainsail and jib in a stiff gusty whitecap breeze, barely hanging on to the hiking stick, taking on water. Flipped a couple of times but it was an addictive thrill.

May the wind fill you sails 'till you have to spill some or go over!

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
My confuse-or, oops mean computer, will not open Borneo's " missed your chance". What did I miss?

I mentioned my pocket knife above, considered starting a knife thread awhile ago to see what tools, not weapons we carried. I favor something small enough to always be with me ready to help solve small problems. Small solutions can sometimes be big problem solvers. In my case it allowed a self rescue and salvage of a borrowed boat. Otherwise I would have had to hike out or wait for some other boat to eventually come by. My hero was simply a Spydico Ladybug 2.5" keychain knife.

Now back to Sailing and troll's gorgeous lake.

Ok, see iceburg wranglers now on video.Audacious but why not.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Got a Snark off a trash pile, read up on sail making and made my own sloop rig on a rotating mast. Worked pretty good but the bare styro gave me rashes, so coated her in epoxy. Turned out to be a nice little boat. My last boat was a 8-foot stitch-and-glue dinghy with a yawl rig. In between was a Hobie, a wood 48-foot ketch from the 1800s, a Morgan 28 (hated it), a couple scows, and a Laser. Pretty diverse collection, but I prefer burning hydrocarbons.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I spend most of my time sailing using a Sunfish and a couple of Hobie Cats. I have also had the pleasure of sailing larger boats on family vacations. My favorite sailing experience was spending a week in the British Virgin Islands on a rented boat towing a dinghy.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great stories, great video... sounds like a few of us like to sail. And it sounds like there is some deep experience as well... just like with our little bike. Awesome forum!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I still have a nutshell pram, and a trimaran I cant think of the name of at the minute, an iceboat, and a 16 foot something. Couple summers ago I did loads of sailing, last and this year they never got wet. I really enjoyed sailing when I was doing alot of it, now just busy with other things....tw, dog frisbee, hiking, etc.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I spend most of my time sailing using a Sunfish and a couple of Hobie Cats. I have also had the pleasure of sailing larger boats on family vacations. My favorite sailing experience was spending a week in the British Virgin Islands on a rented boat towing a dinghy.
Rented and borrowed boats count? I don't have enough electrons. Love to fly to some exotic locations and rent or borrow a boat for a week. Used to be one of Chalk's best customers.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sailing is sailing, rented, borrowed or owned. I'm not much for exotic places... last big sail was years ago down the West Coast from Vancouver BC to Crescent City Calif. The Straits of Juan de Fuca were great but the 10 days off-shore were rough with bad weather the whole time.

Reactions: Fred

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Rough weather? You get used to it. Those days make the pretty days feel all the better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts