TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG this thing is SOOOOOO small. I ride a KLR so it's like a mini bike. The seat isn't that bad but will replace at some point cause it does push you forward. I just STOPPED using FIRST GEAR after about the third stop light. Assuming it will be great the next time I want to scale a building. I will probably try a 45 tooth rear to see if that softens first a little and rolls out the top end a couple miles an hour. The clutch sucks but they probably didn't even adjust it. Pretty sure they didn't touch it. On the highway it is not bad if you don't mind being passed by everyone (although the guy in the rickshaw was an ass when he passed me).

I do wish there was a tachometer.

My phone had to be mounted slant ways since the bars don't have much room on them.

I can't tell if I look like a dork or not. The other guys I've seen on these bikes don't....I'm probably the only one.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
We're supposed to look like dorks when riding a TW! :p

After 1,500 miles it will be broken in and switching to full synthetic will help the clutch feel a bit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
OMG this thing is SOOOOOO small. I ride a KLR so it's like a mini bike. The seat isn't that bad but will replace at some point cause it does push you forward. I just STOPPED using FIRST GEAR after about the third stop light. Assuming it will be great the next time I want to scale a building. I will probably try a 45 tooth rear to see if that softens first a little and rolls out the top end a couple miles an hour. The clutch sucks but they probably didn't even adjust it. Pretty sure they didn't touch it. On the highway it is not bad if you don't mind being passed by everyone (although the guy in the rickshaw was an ass when he passed me).

My phone had to be mounted slant ways since the bars don't have much room on them.

I can't tell if I look like a dork or not. The other guys I've seen on these bikes don't....I'm probably the only one.
Go with DG slip-on, re-jet, and 14/45 or 15/50 gearing. You'll be happy with 1st gear star, keep up with traffic to 60 mph easily, and god forbid, pass slower vehicles.

Looking Dorky sounds like a personal maintenance problem. Can't help you there.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Crappy clutch action seems to be an increasingly common complaint on late model TWs. Yamaha recently changed the design of the clutch discs and it seems to have correlated with the rash of complaints lately. Formerly the TW's clutch has been mostly a non-issue. If you tune the motor up a bit it starts slipping kind of easily, but a $10 pack of stiffer springs fixes that. Action and feel has always been fine.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Well Sir,
Although this is my first post on here, I've been around, owned, rode, modified and more, motorcycles for decades. I presently own an '08 Honda GL 1800 GoldWing with about 38,000 on the clock. Now, you don't say if this is a BRAND NEW TW or, it's a "new to you" TW or, you don't say what other kinds of bike's you're comparing the TW to or, you don't say your weight (which matters in terms of how well a TW performs) or, what your riding habits and or experience(s) is or are. I'm not chastising you, nope, not at all. It's just that, a TW is a SMALL BIKE in terms of general motorcycles and application. I'm about to pick up an '07 TW on Thursday with only 500 miles on the clock. It's been sitting for over 5 years.
I'm 66 years old, weigh in the neighborhood of about 240 and am 6' 2" tall. Yeah, I'm a bit on the larger side for a "TW" but, I'm not planning on running it on freeways or, long stretches of 55 or more mph. This is a run-a-round bike. Just something to buzz over to a friends place, down to the hardware store, cruise the town etc. By the way, the "Town" is Lake Havasu City AZ so, it's a small town with a bunch of 25/20/35/45 mph roads so, it's gonna work just fine for the intended purpose. Trying to eek out, too much from a small, 200 cc, fat tire'd, carbureted bike, is well, just shouldn't be expected. If you want or need more acceleration, more passing power, faster take-offs, and more wide range use of all gears, then one needs to move up to something in the 350 cc and up range. This will be the third TW we've owned and, again, we don't expect ninja performance.

Again, I'm not belittling you or anyone here. Just remember, it's not really any form of a performance motorcycle. This time around, as I started a search for my run-a-round bike, I actually started looking at the Honda Monkey bike. I did a test drive on one and, wow, that little guy could haul my large butt all over the place. I was rather impressed with it. But, when I enquired about an Out the Door Price, I'd be looking at over $5,000 for that little bike. So, that one was out as fast as it came in. The next one on the list was a Suzuki VanVan 200 cc fuel injected. In case anyone's not aware of them, it's a clone to the TW. Only , it's FUEL INJECTED. So, I thought, hmmm, that would be a good play bike. Well, it too was just a hair over $5k for a new '18. And that was a lead-in model to get you in the store. The rest of the '18's and '19s were based priced at $3,999 which, popped them out the door again, well over $5,300.

So, I dropped back and punted and, decided to search for a clean TW. They're out there but, folks want a bunch of money for used ones. So, I settled for the one I'm getting on Thursday. It needs a tad bit of cleanup, a battery and a right rear turn signal. But, I'm in for some fun on tinkering with it.
Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts