TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First offroad adventure of the year.

Since it was nice out today when i got home from work i decided to venture out on the TW for a little off road adventure. Got the TW nice and dirty and had a pretty good time. Im totally impressed with the Duro's traction off road. That thing is a true beast of a tire. I got to run it in a some mud, loose soil, sand and hard packed soil and it works great on all of them. The rear has so much traction now it can overpower the front tire. I have also noticed the fuel milage is pretty much garbage with the duro on. I got 60 miles out of this tank and i had to hit the reserve. Its the price i pay for traction i guess. My TW decided to play a little April fools joke on me today too, mid trail it just quit with no warning. I stabbed the button and no crankie. It ended up that the connector for the right hand switchgear which is under the tank popped apart and when it does the bike just dies. That's quite the feature.... Even a kick start would not have bailed me out of that one. I was able to fix it pretty quick and get back going again with no drama. I'm just glad it happened on a slow trail and not on the road, im going to rig up a fix of some sort so it cant come apart again. I took some video today too, here is a little highlight video.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I went to school in Boston and lived there for 5 years in the 70's. During that time I had a 4x4 Chevy pickup truck and would go to some sand pit in Scituate which is probably all condos by now. I made friends with some guys there and we would also go on power line trails and I guess fire roads, though I really don't know if that is what they were or just dirt roads going through the forest. I also went to the National Sea Shore at the end of Cape Cod several times -- just super nice! Anyway, your video brought back some good memories. Nothing like nostalgia! Thanks. Tony.

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
Your maintenance intermission music gave me a chuckle. Your after work ride reminds me of the ones I go on. Well, except for the tree's and pavement!:p

·
Registered
601 Posts
I wish I was a patient as you, I think I'd enjoy the scenery more, as soon as my key is turned I'm flat out in evey gear untill I turn it off.

Your fuel situation is bad, i have the 125 with the biggest knobley tyre on the front and a tw34 on the rear 5psi each and riding as above from a full tank will go on to reserve around 55ish miles.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wish I was a patient as you, I think I'd enjoy the scenery more, as soon as my key is turned I'm flat out in evey gear untill I turn it off.

Your fuel situation is bad, i have the 125 with the biggest knobley tyre on the front and a tw34 on the rear 5psi each and riding as above from a full tank will go on to reserve around 55ish miles.
I'm not sure if its patience or i was just trying to be smart. I normally/used to ride off road very aggressively often way beyond the limits of my TW and its stock suspension. Since i had back surgery for a herniated disc last Dec i don't feel like i should be pushing it, a getoff at speed could be a huge problem for me. The Duro rear tire also was a factor, i feel like that tire is more at home poking around vs going flat out. The reason is the traction, there is so much of it out back that there is no way to break the rear tire loose at all and it makes the bike a little unbalanced from a traction standpoint. Heavy mud is a good example, the rear has so much grip it just pushes the front end around and it gets a little uneasy feeling. It also does not follow ruts very well, that Duro seems to prefer to go its own way which is thru anything and everything. Slowing down and letting the traction do the work and the TW's ability to be a tractor really makes the Duro shine. There were some situations where i know with the stock rear i could/would have ridden it much harder. I was also running street pressure in the tires which might not have helped me much.

The fuel milege is terrible with that monster rear, i know when i put the stocker back on it will be right back to normal.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the video. What mount/case is that you're using for your handlebar iphone setup? Looked pretty sturdy. Are you able to charge and stay weatherproof with it?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@mcc1776
Its a case or ordered from a place called ultimate mobiles in England. The case itself is ipx4 waterproof and the kit i bought comes with a ram like ball mount with an m8 bolt and a waterproof charger setup that hard wires to the battery. I have this same setup on my other TW and my Ducati and it works great. I have had it out in some pretty good rains too and never a problem. some of the parts can be sourced here, for example Twisted throttle sells a case that looks just like the one i have but beyond the case i never found a charger solution as elegant or well thought out as this one. I have had this same basic setup on my Ducati since 2011 when i first got it.

On the TW i mounted the little charger box under the right side panel just behind the toolkit with some velcro. Its a perfect spot for it.

Here is a link to the kit i bought. They have other mounting options like strap and ubolt mounts as well and they sell this case and charger deal for other phones as well.
Waterproof Tough Hard Mount Case For IPhone 5 5s

·
Registered
395 Posts
@mcc1776
Its a case or ordered from a place called ultimate mobiles in England. The case itself is ipx4 waterproof and the kit i bought comes with a ram like ball mount with an m8 bolt and a waterproof charger setup that hard wires to the battery. I have this same setup on my other TW and my Ducati and it works great. I have had it out in some pretty good rains too and never a problem. some of the parts can be sourced here, for example Twisted throttle sells a case that looks just like the one i have but beyond the case i never found a charger solution as elegant or well thought out as this one. I have had this same basic setup on my Ducati since 2011 when i first got it.

On the TW i mounted the little charger box under the right side panel just behind the toolkit with some velcro. Its a perfect spot for it.

Here is a link to the kit i bought. They have other mounting options like strap and ubolt mounts as well and they sell this case and charger deal for other phones as well.
Waterproof Tough Hard Mount Case For IPhone 5 5s
Thanks JB. I've been looking high and low and think this is going to work great.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amy time. I can take some more detailed pics if you want. Like I said its a really good solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah, they're the first company to offer the full setup for my 5C. For $100, seems well with the protection.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I really like the look and reported traction of the Duro tire, but I was wondering about how it handles on the pavement while cornering? I do as little pavement as possible, and I don't care about top end speed, but I'm concerned about the tread spacing if i lean the bike over in a turn.

Also, what is the vibration like with the Duro? I guess if I lower the pressure enough, it would smooth it out. Just wondering what your findings are.

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
I have about only 400 miles on my Duro and have not noticed problems with the limited asphalt cornering done to date, but I have been cautious and only pushed hard on tarmac a few times. You give up alot of the mpg and versatility so much of a TrailWay trademark in exchange for some serious off-road capability. It takes some getting used to with such a square profile. First few rides seemed like turn-in was abrupt as tire transitioned to sidewall lugs but I soon adapted. Seems best as jb points out as a steady relaxed traction monster.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@moabman
I find the duro to be ok on the pavement. I have ridden it a good bit on pavement and i dont think it corners bad at all, although i will say the duro would not be my first choice for twisty roads. I have not been the least bit afraid to lean it over to almost peg scraping levels. I do see things a little differently than Fred does as far as turn in goes, i don't find mine abrupt at all. Actually i feel like mine turns in rather slow and requires a lot more more effort to get it leaned over than the stock TW34. I keep both aired up to 20#, im sure if i altered the pressure down it might change that a lot. As far as vibration at speed i dont even notice the tire is there. When im first taking off tho i do feel the sive of those lugs but once i get a few mph going it smooths right out.

@saabbug
My camera is a contour roam II that i have had for a couple years, i didnt do anything special to the video in editing either. its pretty much how it came from the camera just trimmed down for time. I own a go pro as well and i like this contour a lot better, simply i think it takes a much better quality video. I'm glad them made a comeback from the brink of doom, i want to buy another camera.

I have a bunch of video i shot today that i will try and post up tomorrow. A lot more off road and a lot worse conditions, really appreciated the duro today for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts