TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil filter for the first time, at 700 miles. Changed the oil twice before this already. That thing is loaded up with metal shavings, anyone else had similar results on the first filter change?

·
Super Moderator
18,965 Posts
Every single one of us. I changed mine at least 5 times before hitting 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yeah you’re not alone. I wonder how much of our gunk is metal vs “other stuff”. Such as gasket material, rubber, plastic, etc.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The chunks will get smaller as miles go by !

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Clutch material? Most of what I see on that pic is called soft carbon. It is formed from the oil at higher temperatures and is totally normal. Just wipe it with your finger and it smears on the surface of the filter. The stuff along the bottom edge of the filter is aluminum shavings, again totally normal. After about 1,000 miles it will stop almost completely, but the soft carbon will continue accumulating, depending on how hot the engine gets between oil changes. Then, at about 40,000 miles, the aluminum will start to increase again. ;)

Want to know if it's aluminum or steel? Pass a magnet along the surface of the filter.....if it picks up anything, it is steel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always changed a new T-Dub oil at 50 to 150 miles then again at 500 and then 2000

Always had metal infikter first change.
None after.
Same with my Kawasakis and Suzuki.

Yamaha makes a great product.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
No change of shorts required, normal.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your filter is clean compared to mine on its first change :ROFLMAO:
As said above, its Totally normal (It did freak me out at first too).
I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic after a couple more conventional oil changes & haven't had any problems (currently have 4,500 miles on her).

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My shorts looked just like that the first time I did an oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts