TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Wanted to introduce myself to the forum, I'v been a member here since July 2014 but this is my first post.
I live on the Michigan Wisconsin border about 60 miles north of Green Bay Wisconsin. Great riding in just about any direction you go.

Yup, it was the forum that helped me get on the right track with my new TW….. bought a new 2013 in the spring of 2014. and spent many many hours reading posts on maintenance, correct oil filter, changed the dreaded chain over to a DID XO ring chain and a whole lot more.

With this first post I need some feedback from forum members with a Seat Concepts seat kit installed. Things like: what fabric did you choose, your riding type — street / off road and how long your rides are.

I will post how the installation and test ride go. PlacerLode (Fred) is my supplier of choice and he thought a post asking for SC owners feedback would be a good idea.

Thanks for your helpful posts that made a big difference owning a TW.

Joe

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Hi
Wanted to introduce myself to the forum, I'v been a member here since July 2014 but this is my first post.
I live on the Michigan Wisconsin border about 60 miles north of Green Bay Wisconsin. Great riding in just about any direction you go.

Yup, it was the forum that helped me get on the right track with my new TW….. bought a new 2013 in the spring of 2014. and spent many many hours reading posts on maintenance, correct oil filter, changed the dreaded chain over to a DID XO ring chain and a whole lot more.

With this first post I need some feedback from forum members with a Seat Concepts seat kit installed. Things like: what fabric did you choose, your riding type — street / off road and how long your rides are.

I will post how the installation and test ride go. PlacerLode (Fred) is my supplier of choice and he thought a post asking for SC owners feedback would be a good idea.

Joe
Glad you chose to finally come out of the closet. Welcome aboard! I am still rocking the factory seat "because I am cheap" so of no help other than to say hello.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
I'll offer a little advice, order in from Amazon or somewhere Monel rust proof staples and 3m spray adhesive for headliners / foam rubber in advance so you have it when the time comes. For staples get 1/4 and 5/16 by 1/2 for t50 guns and buy or borrow an air stapler or heavy duty staple gun that takes those size staples.

Welcome aboard!

Hi

With this first post I need some feedback from forum members with a Seat Concepts seat kit installed. Things like: what fabric did you choose, your riding type – street / off road and how long your rides are.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Hi

Joe

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Fabric choice: Standard (i.e. not the gripper option)
Riding style: 90% trail riding, 10% street
Ride duration: ~1 hour in the saddle, then a little break, then rinse,repeat as neccessary until exhausted:rolleyes:

EDIT: I am pleased with the fabric choice, I climb around a bit shifting weight off-road so the standard fabric is just grippy enough. Stock seat cover was a little too slippery for my taste, allowed objectionable sliding forward on steep downhills. Seat Concepts allows me to readily move forward for some cornering maneuvers yet I stay planted when relaxed.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
hi Jesse and welcome, as for the seat, I have the carbon fiber with the maddog cover on top. I ride about 60% road ( unfortunately) and 30% forest service roads and the other 10% I'm just lost. with the stock seat I was good for about 30 minutes and now I can ride about 3-4 hours. if I had to do the seat over, I would shave some thickness off of the back of the seat so I could sit more level as I have a problem back

·
Registered
113 Posts
I went with the gripper top/carbon sides also from PlacerLode. If I knew back then what I know now after several mods, this would've been one of my first as opposed to one of my most recent. Stock seat gives you 30-45min of ride time before your rear-end tells you it's time to call it a day. As others have mentioned you can essentially stay in the saddle all day with the SeatConcepts.

For installation all I used was Loctite spray adhesive, a Stanley heavy duty stapler and stainless 1/4" T50 staples. Piece of cake! One tip I would recommend is leaving the cover out in the sun for a bit to soften it up before you install it over the foam. I neglected this step and spent awhile wrestling, pinching and squeezing the cover as I stapled. Still a fairly easy job though with the right tools.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't recall which fabric I have, but I would like to comment on the comfort factor. I was a bit disappointed. For me, it only seemed to be about a 20% improvement in Comfort over the stock seat. I'm not sure that I would bother if I had the decision to make again. One person's opinion.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Here's mine with "carbon fibre" seating surface and natural sides. And blue stitching for that coool look!
The CF seating surface offers just the right amount of traction to either sit tight, slide foreword to stick the front tire in corners, or scoot back on the seat for more drive traction.
We have to do that a lot on TDubs...;)
Quadruple the Fast & Fine Fanny Factor!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll offer a little advice, order in from Amazon or somewhere Monel rust proof staples and 3m spray adhesive for headliners / foam rubber in advance so you have it when the time comes. For staples get 1/4 and 5/16 by 1/2 for t50 guns and buy or borrow an air stapler or heavy duty staple gun that takes those size staples.

Welcome aboard!
JessieG welcome. Also this ^ right here is advice GOLD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
….. I decided on Carbon Fiber Sides / Gripper Top.

Fred: my first choice was the All Black Vinyl seat, my riding pants are nylon mesh and slide easily so for me on the OEM seat the sliding feeling is normal. A few days ago while dropping mail at the post office (on the TW with riding gear on) a rider with a XT with a SC Gripper seat was also there, we were talking bike stuff and I noticed the SC label on the seat and asked about it. The XT guy suggested that a test ride around an adjacent mall parking lot might help me decide and I took him up on the offer. The gripper is a good feel with my riding gear…. Decision made!

JerseyJeeper …… glad you brought up installation tools and materials, I got wraped up in seat choices and forgot about a plan for installation.

Thanks (everyone) for all the input. I’ll report back after installation and a test drive.

Joe

·
Registered
656 Posts
DSCN0709.JPG
Does this seat change the seat height or affect the fitment of the seat at all? Thanks.
Yo MBW: The seat will be about an inch higher approx. I love my Seat Concepts unit. I went with "Gripper" as I am basically a road runner, but you can move as necessary(you aren't glued to it). since I use Hi rise handle bars the slight seat uplift is irrelevant. The comfort of the seat makes a BIG difference if you are on the bike for extended periods. I am enclosing a photo of mine. Also in passing I had a small shop do the upholstery for $50.00. I don't think you will be sorry if you find the stock seat not quite up to your liking.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Thanks. My concern is that I have a 30 inch inseam. can some foam be shaved to ease some pain?
I have the same or close to the pictured one in post 12 by Darth, Gripper top with carbon sides and blue stitching. I also have the same 30 inch inseam as you Mike and never found any difference in the height from the stock seat but a vast improvement in comfort. My rear end lacks any degree of cushioning and the stock seat felt like a 2 X 8 after just a few miles. The SC seat fixes that but I will never be a long distance endurance rider with a lower back that just won't quit bothering me. I bought a second seat pan so I have the original stock 2006 seat and the SC one that I can switch at will but that will never happen once you sit on the nicer SC one.

GaryL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts