TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 TDub
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking for way to long I'm ready to pull the trigger. If I could find a new one I'd buy it. If I could find a used one set up nice I would buy it. If someone in the Reno area would like to go on an inspection with me that would be great.

·
Registered
2005 TDub
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just saw this: It's got a lot of miles (20,466) but read on. If it checks out would you go for it?

Available is a super clean 2006 Yamaha TW200, fully restored down to the frame. Clean title and plated.

The following has been done to the bike: -
New plastics -
New seat cover -
Powdercoated frame a gunmetal gray -
Powdercoated wheels a matte black -
New tires and tubes front and back -
New tidied up tail light -
New vintage headlight -
New footpegs -
2.7 gallon Clarke fuel tank -
New gear shifter off of a YZ Yamaha dirt bike -
New ProTaper handlebars and grips -
Upgraded Galfer front brake hose -
Rebuilt front brake caliper and master cylinder -
New brake pads -
Rebuilt carburetor -
Valves adjusted -
Exhaust cleaned and wrapped -
Engine repainted black -
Polished aluminum skidplate -
Aftermarket tachometer/hourmeter -
Original owner's manual
Additional parts included in the sale: -
Original headlight and shroud -
Original turn signals -
Original tail light and license plate holder -
Extra set of front forks -
Rear rack

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Hi Rick and welcome to the forum!

Here's a nice one in your area that is priced pretty high, but maybe could be talked down.

Brian

·
Registered
2005 TDub
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw that. It's nice, but for that price I'm not wild about the tires I'm looking for off road. I was going to look at another one I posted about but they decided not to sell.

·
Registered
2005 TDub
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just saw tires aren't that expensive, I might have to look at it.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
After lurking for way to long I'm ready to pull the trigger. If I could find a new one I'd buy it. If I could find a used one set up nice I would buy it. If someone in the Reno area would like to go on an inspection with me that would be great.
Ask Fred he is close by.

·
Registered
21,684 Posts
Rick, I'm around this weekend. PM me if you're going TW shopping.

·
Registered
2005 TDub
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had 2 bought before I could get to them. Another one decided not to sell. There is one local but he's not available till next week. I'm on the waiting list at 2 dealerships. I've got messages out to two others The search continues. There's trails just waiting.

·
Registered
2005 TDub
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The search continues. Would you shy away from a 2019 bike with 9,500 miles? 4500 of those was on an extended trip through the desert west.

Ad- "This bike has various upgrades like a new X-ring chain, a smaller rear sprocket (I have the original), tusk d flex hand guards, a ricochet skid plate, a custom rack, a rear LED light, and a 3 year Yamaha factory warranty (transferable to new owner). I have done all the maintenance required in the handbook and actually did even more oil changes and checked the timing more frequently than requested in the handbook. I have both handbooks that came w the bike as well as the other paperwork."

·
Registered
28 Posts
R1ck, I can tell you're anxious. Best advice I can offer is, 'slow down'. The market for these bikes is crazy hot right now. There are plenty of listings for ridiculous prices. Don't pay new price for a used bike. And if you get in too big a hurry and buy on an impulse, you could end up regretting it. There are still good deals to be found, and the trails aren't going anywhere! So be patient.

I never recommend Facebook to anyone, but my wife follows a Facebook TW group and there are occasionally very reasonable listings on it. You should check it out if for no other reason than to see what the market looks like in different areas.

Good things come to those that wait!

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2005 TDub
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,
You are right, I don't have to force this. I'm on that Facebook TW group, but I'm not on there much, I'm going to look around and chill out. Funny, but way back in the day I decided to take a break from dating, a few months later I met my wife. Things work out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what it's worth, I decided in April to buy another TW and wanted one of the new '21models in grey and black. Looked around for a while, but couldn't find one. Then saw one on that Facebook group and offered to trade for it, but that didn't work out. So I started calling dealers.

My local dealer sold the last one he had on the exact day I called! BUT... he was getting a cool $1.5k over MSRP because of demand.

By end of April, I started looking for any small dealers in small towns and found two that were only a couple hours drive from me that were willing to sell at MSRP. One dealer said he had an invoice for 2 TWs being shipped in a few weeks, but one of those bikes was already sold. I put $300 down for the other one and picked it up last week for $4700 total out the door. (Well, I did add an extended warranty that I'm still wondering if I should have bought.) :rolleyes:

In the end, it was worth the 2 month wait. Plus, I like that I could do business with a small dealer in a small town. And for a bonus, on the drive to pick up the bike we found a nice state park we didn't know existed!

Said all that to say this... In addition to patience, persistence and a little thinking 'outside the box' go a long way, too!

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
52 Posts
man I just moved out of Reno. Good luck with finding one. I managed to just grab one new from Carson city and the just slowly built it to my specs. I have a spare stock front tire and other miscellaneous stock items if you’re interested. Lmk they are still in Reno.

·
Registered
21,684 Posts
Buy the 2019 if you want to ride this summer, or keep waiting with unfulfilled
desires for finding the perfect deal on the perfect bike. The previous owner of the 2019 obviously enjoyed the bike for 9000 miles and thus both knew and seemingly cared for the bike. The total miles may not be of great concern as wear items like tires, brakes and bearings are all readily replaceable.
The transferable warranty may give peace of mind but may not result in much tangible benefits. Hopefully our local dealer will give you better service than they have done for me over the years. To be fair they once actually had a TW part in inventory I needed ( a spark plug) otherwise everything was a pre-paid special order needing more time & money than just ordering over internet.
When they had inventory to sell they had a pretty good bait and switch strategy. I once went down to look at a used TW they were advertising. Once there admiring the bike and ready to make an offer the story became “ Oh, that bike needs to go through our safety certification process and won’t be ready for sale for another three months, but let’s go look at some new ones on the showroom floor”.
Yes, the new ones looked nice...so nice I bought a new one, just from another dealer. Bad behavior should not be rewarded when possible.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'll sell you Rider21's Trailway. He doesn't seem to ride it anymore. It's the fastest TW I've seen. His TW leaves my TW in the dust, literally. Zoom. Rider21 bought himself a motorcycle and his orthopedic surgeon a boat. Nice guy. Speaking of nice guys, TW-Brian hasn't ridden his bikes either. He's got a couple of really nice TW's to chose from. Make an offer. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

·
Registered
2005 TDub
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I did a thing. Monday I called on a 2005 in Yuba City, two and a half hours away. Drove over Tuesday and as easy as fishin I got a bike. I took a friend along who knows a lot more about bikes than I do and he was impressed. It's got 3600 miles. Got home late last night. I'll fill in the details when I get home from work.
IMG_1729.JPG

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Congrats on the the new bike! Looks like a very clean TW with a number of nice upgrades, i.e., handguards, front and rear Cycleracks, etc?.

2005's are one of the best color schemes you could find, well done.

I am a little surprised to see that it is green stickered, but that shouldn't matter to you in Nevada.

Brian

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I am a little surprised to see that it is green stickered, but that shouldn't matter to you in Nevada.

Brian
It's green stickered because it's not a California bike. Notice no canister for the fuel tank or tab for the canister. I imagine he bought it off someone out of Nevada, not realizing he couldn't plate it for the street in California. I don't know what he paid for it, but if he knew this, would be a definite bargaining tactic.

What a CLEAN bike!

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
I considered that Jerry, but figured that the bike would have probably at least then be ridden off road - and that bike appears to be way too clean for any significant off road miles.

·
Registered
2005 TDub
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For as much as the seller said he rode it I was shocked at how good it looked. He had four bikes all clean. He said he sprayed them down with SC1 after every ride. Its got a few scratches here and there but nothing serious. There are only two changes I'm planning on soon, a new skid plate and a replacement for the death wing.

Reactions: BradC and Fred
1 - 20 of 20 Posts