TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this should all go in the intro section, but I wanted to show off a pic of my bike in the dirt, and this seemed like the appropriate place, so bear with the rant for a bit...

After many years of street riding ('81 KZ550, '83 KZ1100, '07 DL1000 and a few thousand miles of "testing" the wife's '80 KZ440 & "08 EX250), I finally decided to get some saddle time in the dirt and picked up a cheap TW on craigslist that was in "good" shape and just needed some TLC.

Well, after literally 3 months of fighting to get my title squared away and tagged in KS, un"F"-ing years of abuse from a couple of teenage kids, adding all the parts required to be street legal, and replacing just about every gasket that can possibly leak on the engine, I finally have my 2006 TW leak free and running in tip top shape.

I've been riding the 22 mile round trip route to work for the last couple weeks (piddling oil in the parking lot) and buzzing around the local dirt roads to get a feel for the bike and muster up some confidence for the unpredictable road surfaces. Thursday before last I took and evening and did a 20 mile dirt route from one small town to another and experienced just about every type of dirt terrain around: normal dirt roads, fine sand, pea gravel, chunky limestone rock, rutted out dried up mud bottoms, off camber roads, and finally one lovely mile of solid rolling dirt. I was riding with a buddy on his DR650 who's a bit shorter than me with lowered pegs & raised bars and the way he blasted effortlessly through the junk standing his pegs made me wonder if I'd bought the wrong bike for my 6'5" self, but I had a great time and enjoyed what the TW had to offer.

Last week I finally visited the local offroad area for some "real" fun. Except that the place is mostly and ATV area with 80% of it being deep deep beach-like sand.

That sucked.

But tucked toward the back was a good track area with some little jumps and a bowled out area to catch some air. Took the little hops first and kept hitting the front tire first on the landings and then gave it a go up the backside of the bowl. Slowly the first few times, but finally got a couple of good jumps in, butt toward the back and good solid landings. Felt pretty darned good! We also hit several whoop tracks, dirt trails back through the trees, and a few steep-ish embankements. All good fun and I felt much more at home on the pegs by the time the night was over. Maybe the TW isn't such a bad bike for me afterall. Pretty sure my limitations have nothing to do with having a TW200 instead of my buddies' DR650, YZ250, or YZ490 and everything to do with actually having experience in this new-found environment and developing the skills that go with.

I feel like a kid again riding my BMX bike through the dry creek beds of western Kansas and find myself sporting a grin that stretches from ear to ear each night I take her out. So, I proudly attach a snap of my "little bike" from last week at the dirt park sitting on the top side of the bowl and offer my thanks to the folks who've shared their experiences and assistance here that helped me get my bike fixed, configured, accessorized, and on/off the road.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Nice intro and little ride.

If you're riding off-road, a new front tyre and the $20 D2Moto pegs will make the bike much easier to live with. Edit: I just saw that they're in the post!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Ok.. I've got to get together with you to find out where that off-road place is. I haven't been actually off-road with my bike. I've been on lots of dirt roads out & around here.

The closest riding places I've heard of with good trails are up around Manhattan, near the lakes up there. The river through Wichita has trails, but I've heard the police hand out tickets for riding motorcycles down there.

We'll have to get together for some coffee & set up a ride.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My other motive for this bike (besides playing in the dirt) was to have an extra bike that I could introduce would-be riders to motorcycling with minimal risk. Like it or not, the TW is pretty small and weak, so the chances of a newbie getting overpowered by power or weight are pretty low.

First requirements for the bike were the CycleRack & leverguards to minimize risk of damage to the bike in the event of a tipover, and those short stalked indicators certainly augment the purpose nicely. The rear rack and/or handlebars will hit long before a turn signal smacks anything. Bonus is that despite how easily they're overlooked when they're off, they're actually quite bright in action...and cheap to boot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts