TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the new bike registered today and took it out for a quick ride to top off the tank. Here are my thoughts:

Great sound!

I didn't feel cramped at all.

First gear runs out QUICK! 10 mph comes up fast!

The clutch is VERY different from my VStrom. The VStrom's clutch pulls most of the way in and there is a little range between all and nothing. The TWs doesn't seem to engage until it's fully open. Hopefully I can adjust it to feel a bit more similar to what I'm used to.

I can't wait to get through the breakin and to get off-road!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Be sure to check the clutch return spring down on the case. Also, do several oil changes during the break in period, oil is cheap, your bike will thank you.

Congrats!!

Reactions: frog13

·
Registered
592 Posts
Your gonna love your tw...Congrats!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Most important oil change is at 100 miles
I could not believe how much metal was on that oil filter @ 100 miles
Not sure what year you have but my 2013 takes exactly 1 quart 5 ounces during a filter and oil change
Also your gonna want to invest in a decent torque wrench that will do 5-75 foot lbs.
Then do your next oil change at 300 then again at 600 miles

Here is the thread about my metal shavings @ 100 miles http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/9653-first-oil-change-100-miles-today-holy-metal-shavings.html

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The TW clutch is a bit brisk and unforgiving as compared to any other bikes I have owned. Not much in the line of slip and once you get used to it you won't notice it as much. Check to be sure the spring is properly in its slot and the ball end of the cable is seated in its hole. If I had to guess I would say the springs in the clutch cup are rather stout.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The TW clutch is a bit brisk and unforgiving as compared to any other bikes I have owned. ...etc.
GaryL
Also, after you get it well broken in at 1500 to 2000 miles, switch to Mobil 1 4T or Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10w 40 full synthetic, and you will find the clutch will be less grabby and it will shift smoother.:D

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Also, after you get it well broken in at 1500 to 2000 miles, switch to Mobil 1 4T or Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10w 40 full synthetic, and you will find the clutch will be less grabby and it will shift smoother.:D
+1......

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Different animal from your Vstrom.;)
Those first break-in miles are so boring compared to what you will enjoy later. Have fun and Welcome.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Welcome . If you ever decide to buy a new oil filter (the one that comes out of the right side of the case......rear brake side) make sure it has the four holes.....threads here that explain what has happened to folks who did not check the filter first before install.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. The clutch is definitely different on the TW. Every time i get off the TW and onto my Ducati i end up stalling it because they are so different. The duc starts grabbing right off the bat where the TW is almost at the end of the lever throw.

I agree with the others on synthetic once you get it broken in right. Both of mine have benefited from the switchover and shift much better and have better clutch action. I run Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil i both of mine.

Enjoy that new TW :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

I had two friends who are long time riders tried the bike and they realized the bike was stutter and the throttle was really slow to react. Which was causing me to really give it a lot of throttle and rise the clutch to keep from stalling. The suggested I take it back to the dealer.

I dropped it off Friday and the guy behind the desk said it sounded like the carb may need cleaning. He also mentioned that the gas they put in it at the factory to test fire the engine sometimes gums up the carb.

I got the call that it was fixed today. When I went to pick it up all they said was it was so thing with the air filter. The paper work says "oiled filter" in the work performed section.

Well the bike is a different bike all together. No stalls, no need to rev it high and ride the clutch out. It's exactly what I wanted the bike to be.

Any ideas about what was done? Could oiling the filter make such a huge difference?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I had two friends who are long time riders tried the bike and they realized the bike was stutter and the throttle was really slow to react. Which was causing me to really give it a lot of throttle and rise the clutch to keep from stalling. The suggested I take it back to the dealer.

I dropped it off Friday and the guy behind the desk said it sounded like the carb may need cleaning. He also mentioned that the gas they put in it at the factory to test fire the engine sometimes gums up the carb.

I got the call that it was fixed today. When I went to pick it up all they said was it was so thing with the air filter. The paper work says "oiled filter" in the work performed section.

Well the bike is a different bike all together. No stalls, no need to rev it high and ride the clutch out. It's exactly what I wanted the bike to be.

Any ideas about what was done? Could oiling the filter make such a huge difference?
They cleaned the carb, don't think for a minute that oiling the filter helped that much...

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Yup! What RBM said plus they blew a bunch of exhaust up your behind running that phony story on you. Bikes come from the factory dry and the dealer adds his gas to it when he preps it. Dealers are notorious for putting in a gallon of gas and then allowing the bike to sit for months waiting for a buyer.

Now that you learned that lesson, follow the instructions and keep the tank full with fresh gas and add some SeaFoam or Lucas fuel treatment to every tank. For winter storage I highly recommend a full tank of pure, Ethanol free 91 octane with a double dose of SeaFoam.

GaryL

Reactions: thidwick

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ride it 'til it doesn't work quite right, fix it so it does and ride some more. Oh, and make sure you ride it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
More Seafoam praise:
I also like to use it as a maintainer as well. Both my bikes are carbureted & I stop at different gas stations all the time & I never know what kind of junk I'm filling with. Just a wee shot every so often and all is well.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Open up the air box cover ( left side of bike , shifter side ) and inspect the air cleaner and see if it has fresh application ?. As stated above ,"they" probably noticed an F'up they commited and made good on it . Also look and see if the Pilot screw plug is still intact ?....when I bought mine new the pilot plug was "missing"......hmmmmm , make bike run better and perhaps more sales will come our way ?. Enjoy the ride!!!.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally for back from my trip and was able to take the TW out for a ride. Stalled every time I let the clutch out. After trying to push it up my 15% grade driveway I tried again and it ran. Took it out for a spin and it seemed ok but a little hesitant at times. Dumped some Seafoam in and it seemed better on the way home.

See how it runs later this weekend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts